Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Getting 2k+ Arenas... How?

Ye im not so experienced in PvP, Ive been trying to get serious since there isnt anything else to do in this state of game. I kinda like it, specially 3v3

Ive been trying out dif comps but in all it just comes back to the same thing. Im stuck at 1950 rating, everytime i play its basicily 1 win, 1 loss over and over again
    Im also stuck in 2v2 at the same rating...

I play MW monk.
    Would love to hear some game changing tips

Some extra qs...
    How much is it about the right setup?
    How much does skype etc matters?(I Always use ofc but still not really going perfect)
    Should i reroll another healer? I kinda never meet Another MW tbh, that acctualy means something?

just gotta keep playing, and its definitely important to play with the same people when youre climbing for the first time. the more u play with people the better your synergy is and you adapt to each others playstyle which makes it much easier to win

since mw can do a lot of damage it is good to run super high dmg comps like mw/dk/lock, mw/enh/hunter, mw/mage/lock etc. for 2s mw/dk is pretty much free rating and mw/warr can work ok, dont play with a hunter though

Welcome to elo hell, aka the mmr you belong at! it's going to be a slow crawl or take a lot of carrying to get out of there.

The entire point of the rating system is to place you where you belong on the skill ladder.

You peaked. Pay for a carry or get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post
    The entire point of the rating system is to place you where you belong on the skill ladder.

This is true, but it should only encourage you to get better.
    I think at your skill level and experience playing a good comp certainly improves your chances dramatically. Gladiators can get high ratings playing random comps, but most of us can't.

MW is in good shape too, i wouldn't reroll if I were you. If you got to 1950, you certainly are a very good healer.
    Getting kills is as important as staying alive, I'm sure your partners have a bit of improving to do as well.
    What comp do you play btw?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound View Post

Im not sure if this is supposed to sound like it reads, but it seems like an attempt to insult the OPs abilitiy since the only thing you did was tell him he cant do it instead of offering some advice.

From my experience the comp has a lot to do with it but as was said earlier an important part is playing with the same ppl. A poor comp with great teamwork and coordination will do better than say, RLS with poor teamwork.

Also, i found skype to be kind of buggy and cause lag issues for me. Better luck with vent but that could just be me/isp connection.

Above all though, when you lose a close game you need to analyse it and understand why you lost. Did a poly break? Missed trap? Bad positioning? If you die and you have cds left then its your fault. Sometimes its out of your control though (moonkin gets 3 starsurge procs in a row and they all crit for 130k or something).
    Last edited by Starsinn; 2014-07-30 at 01:50 AM.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

If you have gotten this far as mw monk then it's safe to say you have mastered healing on it like Chi sphere heals and mana tea management.

At this point like everyone said it's down to comp and your team members to push higher. Just understand that mw is good but not the best. So you will need to work harder than other healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    How much is it about the right setup?
    How much does skype etc matters?(I Always use ofc but still not really going perfect)
    Should i reroll another healer? I kinda never meet Another MW tbh, that acctualy means something?
    Setup is very important, but at 2k it's a bit less so.
    Skype is absurdly important, there's really no reason to play without it.
    No, MW is perfectly fine at high ratings in the right comps.

The biggest thing is communication. At 1950 you obviously know what all your skills do, and you know what the other classes are capable of. So at this point it's about communicating with your teammates. Look at your losses, and figure out why you lost. Did you trinket something and then get instantly CC'd again? Did you trinket something at the same time your partner used a big defensive CD? Did your partner focus too much on offense and get out of position?

After each loss take a look at what CDs you didn't use. Did you trinket? Did you aura mastery? Did you use your Monk bubble? Did you disarm an enemy DPS? These things all matter.

Also remember it's better to prevent damage than to heal through it. It's why Druids will Cyclone DPS and why Shamans will Hex them. Use your CC's not only on the healer for kills, but the DPS to slow down damage, especially during their CDs. If you see the enemy Shaman pop Ascendence you're much better off using two globals to Disarm/Incap him then you are to try and spam heals through all the damage. And it goes for your teammates too.

There's not much more advice I can offer without knowing exactly what comp you're running though. Also, as was said, playing with the same people is very helpful.

Deleted
    Comps is so-so important up to 2k, just get the right people on skype and practice practice practice. Watch some streams. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by quitefrankly View Post
    This is true, but it should only encourage you to get better.
    I think at your skill level and experience playing a good comp certainly improves your chances dramatically. Gladiators can get high ratings playing random comps, but most of us can't.

MW is in good shape too, i wouldn't reroll if I were you. If you got to 1950, you certainly are a very good healer.
    Getting kills is as important as staying alive, I'm sure your partners have a bit of improving to do as well.
    What comp do you play btw?

Thanks for help all, appreciate it

I go with a MW Monk + Aff lock + Something setup. We dont have a third steady player because we cannot find one that want to keep playing. Usualy we play like 1 evening together and the player never comes online again even tho it might go really really good, its really wierd.

The warlock has been 2.4k but I have never been over 2k so I cannot ask for people with exp that I dont have myself

Play with not just the same comp but with the same people if possible , that way you will get used to them and they will get used to you , believe me there is nothing better than to know the game style of your partners, it help with the correct timing of cd usage, other than that try to play as many games as you can and always remember the golden rule ! "never EVER get angry" if you lose just be calm and have your fun at some point you will brake the 2k mark
    Last edited by Zigrifid; 2014-07-30 at 02:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Play with not just the same comp but with the same people if possible , that way you will get used to them and they will get used to you , believe me there is nothing better than to know the game style of your partners, it help with the correct timing of cd usage, other than that try to play as many games as you can and always remember the golden rule ! "never EVER get angry" if you lose just be calm and have your fun at some point you will brake the 2k mark
    This is great advice. Synergy is very important when trying to push. Also, if you can stream and compare your team to higher rated teams who play your comp, that can also help.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Comp is really important at any rating - it matters to gladiators, people just don't think so because they see them fly past the 1800's while wearing greens - but a bad comp will hold you back no matter how good you are as players.

2. Synergy with your allies is critical - more than anything else IMO - finding the right attitudes and personalities to play with is important. If you are playing with some toxic prick who ragequits every loss, or blames others rather than looking at how to improve, or just is annoying in skype - blasting shitty music, screaming at family, constant deafening bong hits next to his mic, bad sense of humour - PvP isn't fun. Having fun, and having a learning environment - is critical.

3. If you really want to succeed, apply some professionalism to your play, take it seriously - don't kill yourself every loss, but be objective and focused on improving: you will learn more in an afternoon of that, than you will learn in a month of YOLO's.

4. Nerd out on the details of DR, maximizing your burst, syncing your burst, syncing your CC, syncing your pillar LoS's, etc. - it might sound dorky, but you can go to the arenas and practice. You can go to the PvE training dummies and practice - what does your team call for burst? What is the 5 second warning before burst? How are you tracking each others CCs? How do you express that in skype?

Lock those dummies down in a 60 second CC chain and talk your way through it, and you will have a far easier time doing it live. Ditto for burst - you might both think you know how to burst, but talk to the heroic PvE'rs: for all the trash talk they get on pvp forums, I guarentee they know more about both pressure and burst than you do - it helps.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Whenever I've tried over 2k+ it's either very easy or impossible. I think it's just dependant on your comp.

Deleted
    it's trickier this time in the season because so many high level players are at low MMR for boosting etc, or sitting on their high ratings for titles. it's certainly possible, I got 2.2k a few weeks ago for the first time. I had the same problem as you late Cata, playing Shadowplay with friends and stuck at 1950. I asked the same question on this forum but got flamed for it. joined a RLS team and was 2.1k within the hour. comp is important and you're best to push ratings as early in the season as possible.

Play an ez-mode comp like thunder/turbo-cleave and you'll easily get 2.2 in a night. If you're set on playing with the afflock, get an ele shaman and do LSchi.

Playing a MW past 2k is all about proper use of mana tea, utilizing healing sphere's very well, good teleport usage, and also contributing to damage with crackling jade, xuen, and good CC. As a MW you should never run out of mana. If you ARE running out of mana, most likely you are using surging mist way too much, or not chi brewing on CD and using mana tea correctly.

Another thing I see sub-par MW's doing is using paralysis wrong. As stated in the tooltip, if you're standing behind the target, paralysis' duration is increased. So you can really increase CC chains by rolling behind your target and paralyzing. You can also land a kill by ring of peacing yourself and rolling on top of a healer for that extra silence. Similarly, besides RoP on yourself or teammates, you can RoP your Xuen or a lock pet. As someone stated above, understanding and making the best use of Diminishing Returns is something that can propel you forward in pvp. Paralysis has a cooldown, so if the DR is resetting in 3 seconds, it's best to wait those 3 seconds before using it so you get full benefit from the DR.

Communication goes hand in hand with CC and diminishing returns. All three of you should be coordinating CCs. If the lock fears a healer to DR, you should let them know you can paralyze out of the fear. On the topic of skype, while it's not required to play 2.2k+, it's certainly something that you should be using while learning to play with new teammates/comp. You should be communicating with your teammates for everything. If you get CC'd and your warlock is dropping, you should say "I don't have you, pop something (bargain?)". If your teammate is getting hit hard but you're not CC'd, communicate that as well; let them know you have cocoon so they don't pop a personal CD (overlapping CD's is bad).

One of the most helpful things you can do to get better in pvp is watch top-rated players. Now, it's hard to find top-rated mistweavers who stream on twitch because, unfortunately, a good amount of 2700+ MW's use orb bots (not all, but a lot). But watching any healers playing 3s is helpful. Learn from their communication, their positioning, their use of CDs, etc.

If you feel like paying a few bucks a month, you could pay for a subscription to the skill-capped website, which has a lot of video guides made by gladiators of every class.
    Last edited by LET JIMMY RAID; 2014-07-31 at 07:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dankestbuds View Post
    Play an ez-mode comp like thunder/turbo-cleave and you'll easily get 2.2 in a night. If you're set on playing with the afflock, get an ele shaman and do LSchi.

Playing a MW past 2k is all about proper use of mana tea, utilizing healing sphere's very well, good teleport usage, and also contributing to damage with crackling jade, xuen, and good CC. As a MW you should never run out of mana. If you ARE running out of mana, most likely you are using surging mist way too much, or not chi brewing on CD and using mana tea correctly.

Another thing I see sub-par MW's doing is using paralysis wrong. As stated in the tooltip, if you're standing behind the target, paralysis' duration is increased. So you can really increase CC chains by rolling behind your target and paralyzing. You can also land a kill by ring of peacing yourself and rolling on top of a healer for that extra silence. Similarly, besides RoP on yourself or teammates, you can RoP your Xuen or a lock pet. As someone stated above, understanding and making the best use of Diminishing Returns is something that can propel you forward in pvp. Paralysis has a cooldown, so if the DR is resetting in 3 seconds, it's best to wait those 3 seconds before using it so you get full benefit from the DR.

Communication goes hand in hand with CC and diminishing returns. All three of you should be coordinating CCs. If the lock fears a healer to DR, you should let them know you can paralyze out of the fear. On the topic of skype, while it's not required to play 2.2k+, it's certainly something that you should be using while learning to play with new teammates/comp. You should be communicating with your teammates for everything. If you get CC'd and your warlock is dropping, you should say "I don't have you, pop something (bargain?)". If your teammate is getting hit hard but you're not CC'd, communicate that as well; let them know you have cocoon so they don't pop a personal CD (overlapping CD's is bad).

One of the most helpful things you can do to get better in pvp is watch top-rated players. Now, it's hard to find top-rated mistweavers who stream on twitch because, unfortunately, a good amount of 2700+ MW's use orb bots (not all, but a lot). But watching any healers playing 3s is helpful. Learn from their communication, their positioning, their use of CDs, etc.

If you feel like paying a few bucks a month, you could pay for a subscription to the skill-capped website, which has a lot of video guides made by gladiators of every class.
    Just requoting this beause it's a great summary of tips for you.
    Plz ignore arrogant/rude people that posted before, pvp has a very long learning curve.

Communicate, specially analyse every game, try to talk about what went wrong ofc.
    For instance think about when you used your cds and when he used his and if those cds
    we're really needed at that time or how you could have avoided using those.
    (for instance simply pulling back and lossing dmg, or ccing enemy dps etc)

Another big thing is just overall game knowledge, personally I think this is the most important
    part of pvp, knowing every ability of every spec in the game makes it alot easier to
    predict enemy actions and plan yours to score a kill.
    For instance if you're playing with a warlock and you guys are facing a rsham,
    not knowing that he can reset tremor with call of the elements (talent)
    or not knowing how powerfull healing stream is atm (and therefore not killing them)
    can really cause losses that you wont even understand.

So play new specs/classes on live/ptr, watch streams/youtube vids and so on.
    A big tip is also to watch replays of wow tournaments (obv played by the top players)
    and carefully look how they position themselves and react to everything thats going on etc.

good luck

Step one: Find a hunter
    Step two: Find a enhancement shaman
    Step three: download orbbot

free 2600

Deleted
    MW monk is just complete dogshit atm.

Incase you skimmed Yvaelle's post, I recommend you go back up and read it. A very important thing to note, that a lot of people seem to forget in PvP, is that you need to understand how your class works in PvE first. Learning your rotation and being completely comfortable with how to burst, manage CDs, do sustained damage, do AoE damage, manage procs, etc will make your job of positioning and crowd control 100x easier.

I'll also add that no matter what people say, the same rules that apply to rank 1 gladiator players also apply to everyone else on the ladder. Saying "comp doesn't matter pre 2400" is actually completely false. Comp matters just as much at the top 0.01% than it does in the 1600s because you are always fighting people of similar skill level, no matter what rating you're at - and every single edge you can gain over your opponents means more chance of winning.

What I will say is that the strong/weak comps at 2700+ won't be the same as the strong/weak ones below 2k. This is because comps like RMP or Shatterplay which rely on cross-CC, swaps and burst won't work as well at lower ratings, because your partners and communication won't be good enough to execute the comps playstyle. Comps like LSD and KFC will be strong no matter the rating though, as their general playstyle is very simple.

Just to close this off, partners mean everything. Hopping from team to team, partner to partner will almost never guarantee you success. Find someone you're comfortable playing with, who shares the same passion and willingness to learn, and get better WITH them. Eventually you'll find a third who fits with the two of you and you can progress together. Nobody in this game has got Gladiator by themselves.