Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmills View Post
    Theres not way you can convince me that Skyrim has more content then WoW. ever, no matter how much DLC or mods it gets, there will be more to do in WoW.
    More crap to do in WoW. Stuff to do doesn't mean fun stuff to do. Game is so boring I would rather play Minecraft again, because it's different everytime. WoW likes you to do things daily. Redundant stupid tedious crap done daily. September 8th my 27g subscription ends and so too my interest.

I don't like waiting real life time to do something. 10 hours for a freakin Garrison mission? Get out of my face.
    I don't like fetch quests and dailies.
    I don't like waiting a month for DarkMoon fair.
    I don't like WoW without flying.
    I don't like WoW Sam I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    "Why is WoW so expensive compared to other games?"

Because Lore's poodle 'do is high maintenance.
    haha nice 1

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    More crap to do in WoW. Stuff to do doesn't mean fun stuff to do. Game is so boring I would rather play Minecraft again, because it's different everytime. WoW likes you to do things daily. Redundant stupid tedious crap done daily. September 8th my 27g subscription ends and so too my interest.

I don't like waiting real life time to do something. 10 hours for a freakin Garrison mission? Get out of my face.
    I don't like fetch quests and dailies.
    I don't like waiting a month for DarkMoon fair.
    I don't like WoW without flying.
    I don't like WoW Sam I am
    YOu don't like doing all of this stuff, in a game that belongs to a Genre which is mostly all of this stuff.

You are a prime example of the community of people that change games like this for the worse.

You want to play a Game thats tailored to you, by joining a game thats tailored to millions and spend your time complaining about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It's one of the cheapest in the industry for the amount of hours you'll get out of it.
    WoW is actually the most expensive MMORPG available.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    New Players pay about the same for a Brand new triple A game as they do for All previous Content + WoD.

Also, WoW is the cheapest Money vs Time for a paid for game. just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for most.
    Firstly, I admit to the 130 euro number being somewhat uninformed, but it is in no way the best game among MMORPG's or RPG's (the two genre most comparable) in terms of value for money. I refute that statement based on its invalid nature. WoW is among the most expensive games you can dish out for (as a new player, tokens are irrelevant). Hence, as a consumer, that can be potentially off-putting.

Saying that it is the cheapest in terms of money vs. time is incorrect. GW2 is a game you pay for, it is cheaper in terms of money vs. time by a huge margin. Unless, of course, you mean to say subscription model MMO? The Witcher 3 costs the same now as WoD + up to lvl 90 content. Arguing that WoD has more longevity than the Witcher 3 is a difficult thing given the current problems WoD suffer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    WoW is actually the most expensive MMORPG available.
    Explaining that to people isn't always easy. Sure, WoW can have potentially great value for money in it, but other MMORPG's are even cheaper with similar potential. And one also has to take into account the current status of the WoW expansion, which is terrible in terms of long-term content. It really struggles to compare in a favourable manner.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2015-08-28 at 07:16 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    Explaining that to people isn't always easy. Sure, WoW can have potentially great value for money in it, but other MMORPG's are even cheaper with similar potential. And one also has to take into account the current status of the WoW expansion, which is terrible in terms of long-term content. It really struggles to compare in a favourable manner.
    I'd put it even simpler:

WoW *was being allowed to get away with being way more expensive than other games* because it was good. Was good. Not anymore (simplifying things here).

There is no question that WoW is more expensive than other games, it absolutely is, and no amount of dividing cost by playtime is going to save it, to say nothing that folks dividing by playtime blindly count in time spent AFKing, waiting in queues, waiting for groups to form, etc - that's a heck of a lot of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Computed Lamb View Post
    World of Warcraft: $19.99
    Mists of Pandaria: $19.99
    Warlords of Draenor: $49.99
    Subscription Fees: $41.97
    I noticed an error in your price list, wanted to notify you OP.

World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
    World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria

Currently in stores for around 16.50 USD / 14.75 EUR for all four of them together.

Oh, yeah, your price seems off on subscription as well but could just be because of region. 39 USD for 3 months.

So, for first three months for a brand new player: 105,50 USD.

So, not even that expansive. I can on average buy 2-3 brand new games for this amount, and they'll have max gameplay of like, 50 hours anyways (maximum). Unlike WoW, and for that matter, other MMO's that holds good time too. Of course, their business plan is a little more expansive than other games, but at least not slaughtered by going F2P. Could go B2P though people would still complain then as some things would come around to be added differently.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I noticed an error in your price list, wanted to notify you OP.

World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
    World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria

Currently in stores for around 16.50 USD / 14.75 EUR for all four of them together.

Oh, yeah, your price seems off on subscription as well but could just be because of region. 39 USD for 3 months.

So, for first three months for a brand new player: 105,50 USD.

So, not even that expansive. I can on average buy 2-3 brand new games for this amount, and they'll have max gameplay of like, 50 hours anyways (maximum). Unlike WoW, and for that matter, other MMO's that holds good time too.
    The "50 hours anyways (maximum)" is likely just you, games like Civ V supply you with years upon years of playtime and there is bound to be a near-infinite game like that which you personally would like, you just didn't search much, probably because you are way into WoW.

$105 is a heck of a price.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-08-28 at 07:42 AM.

I cant imagine being in a state with online taxes applicable on top of what Blizzard charges...

anyway some obvious main points

*Other countries often pay more for WOW than we do in the US guess we should be grateful, the price has risen in the EU like 3 times in recent years. In other countries like Austrailia they pay 100 dollars for a 59.99 game.

*They charge what they think the consumer will be willing to pay and what they need to cover their costs and turn a profit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Computed Lamb View Post
    I haven't played anything for a while and was looking around at options for MMORPG to play, and in that research I found (not surprisingly) that WoW is one of the most expensive games on the market when compared to it's competition.

If we assume a single, 3 month subscription in preparation for WoD expansion, current costs for WoW are:

World of Warcraft: $19.99
    Mists of Pandaria: $19.99
    Warlords of Draenor: $49.99
    Subscription Fees: $41.97

Total: $131.94 or $43.98 over three months. (Moving this to a six month subscription brings it down to $27.98 a month.) This obviously excludes any and all micro-transactions or player services.
    thats BS, MoP is in the battlechest\normal WoW, so you just need that and WoD. (and also MoP was free for those who already had an account but didn't have MoP)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    AAHAHAHAHAH.... oh. You're serious.
    "They" are living in denial that they have spent like 2000$ on something they cant show to their friends and family as a feat of accomplishment. By justifying they spent 2000$ and 4000 hours of their life on a game rather than do something productive they go into defensive mode.

Isnt everything prior to WoD free? (apart from subs)

My girlfriend has been playing Hearthstone for a a while and wanted to try out WoW. I logged in to her battle net account and added a subscription, she was able to create Pandaren toons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmills View Post
    A new AAA title will last you up to 10 hours. that's $6/hour
    AAHAHAHAHAH.... oh. You're serious.
    Well, yeah, at MOST. Even if you play WoW casually, you will have much more fun for money you've spent. Assuming you have fun with WoW, which I do.

And I'm talking about PC gaming, not even counting in console games which cost 1/4 of the console itself in Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucio84 View Post
    Isnt everything prior to WoD free? (apart from subs)

My girlfriend has been playing Hearthstone for a a while and wanted to try out WoW. I logged in to her battle net account and added a subscription, she was able to create Pandaren toons.
    WoW is free until level 20. Then you have to subscribe, I suppose. It has a trial version of sorts. Not sure if that includes the content of the battlechest once you subscribe to it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    The "50 hours anyways (maximum)" is likely just you, games like Civ V supply you with years upon years of playtime and there is bound to be a near-infinite game like that which you personally would like, you just didn't search much, probably because you are way into WoW.

$105 is a heck of a price.
    Not really in to WoW overly to count as the hardcore fan, but I enjoy it. And don't enjoy Civ V that much, I enjoyed Civ III and then got away from that feel. Enjoyed StarCraft, and got away from that feel. There is currently not many games able to catch my interest enough + for long enough time. 105 isn't that bad, heck, I know stores that gives you 1 month free game time if you buy the battle chest, and WoD at the same time.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    "They" are living in denial that they have spent like 2000$ on something they cant show to their friends and family as a feat of accomplishment. By justifying they spent 2000$ and 4000 hours of their life on a game rather than do something productive they go into defensive mode.
    How is paying $2000 on something that has lasted 10 years denial? I couldn't give a fuck if something i spent $2000 on that was fun for me wasn't recognized by anyone.

Thats like saying "oh you've spent $2000 over the last 10 years eating your favourite food. AND YOU CANT SHOW ANYONE!!". It's called a Hobby. People pay far more than $2000 over 10 years for most Hobbies.

Jesus you people get more pathetic as the days go on.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you think WoW is expensive you should try HotS, you don't have to buy the stimpacks but if you don't you're gimping yourself and keeping them active costs more than a WoW sub, add to that all the best skins for each char are only buyable with cash not gold and the price tallies up fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    How is paying $2000 on something that has lasted 10 years denial? I couldn't give a fuck if something i spent $2000 on that was fun for me wasn't recognized by anyone.

Thats like saying "oh you've spent $2000 over the last 10 years eating your favourite food. AND YOU CANT SHOW ANYONE!!". It's called a Hobby. People pay far more than $2000 over 10 years for most Hobbies.

Jesus you people get more pathetic as the days go on.
    Well said, I spent $10,000 on a Toyota Supra TT and <2 years later the engine blew and I had to scrap it, can't show anyone that. WoW was a much better investment looking back lol.

Not really in to WoW overly to count as the hardcore fan, but I enjoy it. And don't enjoy Civ V that much, I enjoyed Civ III and then got away from that feel. Enjoyed StarCraft, and got away from that feel. There is currently not many games able to catch my interest enough + for long enough time. 105 isn't that bad, heck, I know stores that gives you 1 month free game time if you buy the battle chest, and WoD at the same time.
    105 is bad. For that amount I could fish up 20 or so titles for around 5 per piece (non-including sales) from a site like GOG. 105 is not a bargain, there are plenty of older titles with longevity in its design to keep you engaged for far longer than WoD can. Plenty. Heck, right now you can get Pillars of Eternity for 37 euros (including the soundtrack).

To sharpen the point: the long term value of WoW relates to patch content per expansion (currently 2 patches, down from 3, while the price increased for an expansion). You have to dish out for WoW in the same manner you have to for DLC in certain titles, but it has much more content than most packages of DLC. You can compare it better to expansions to games such King's Bounty and the value those expansions bring. The model is generally similar to Warcraft 3, but with a subscription fee and patches inbetween. Really.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2015-08-28 at 08:00 AM.

I get what you are saying and I really think you'd be able to find another game which would keep your attention and give you fun for a really, really long time. It's not as simple as following news and googling / reading for a week, but staying alert for something like 6 months would very likely do it. I am not saying you have to do it, drop WoW or whatever - I am offering this regardless of the discussion.

Deleted
    Simply put, because the market supports it.

The subscription fees follow a well-worn standard ($15/$13/$12 for 1/3/6 months subscription at a time), so no surprises there.

The expansions... well, again, I think Blizzard is following a standard protocol with those in terms of pricing.

But they wouldn't be able to sell these things as these prices if the community (in this case, MMORPG players) weren't interested in the game. That Blizzard (despite what you may read from the 'majority' of posters here) continues to put out a polished, quality product is what keeps them in business.