Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I love how the guy asked a simple question and some people just assumed he is a no life addicted to wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Also people should really stop saying this crap. It's totally feasible to play some WoW or other games for a few hours a week after making some homework or on a rainy day or whatever. You need some time to relax and unwind and it's not a good idea to get out and about all of the time in addition to the study course. You'll break in just a few weeks if you don't take some time to relax.
    No they shouldn't.

It's also not about if it is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Um, as the guy above said, what is this even supposed to mean? I am going there for a YEAR. An entire year lol. Sure, time flies, but, do you think I will be walking outside day and night? I won't have unlimited money to just freely travel all around Japan or go out with friends every day? Sure, my time will be limited due to the heavy courses I will be taking, but I was originally planning to play atleast one hour a week, for the sake of immersing myself into a fantasy world to keep myself sane. I need that. Studying is too mentally exhausting otherwise.
    I think it's quite clear what that means: "I think you probably shouldn't be playing World of Warcraft when you're studying abroad".
    First and foremost it's far too cumbersom, secondly it's too expensive, thirdly you should probably make the most of your time there.

Also: "I plan to spend at least one hour on World of Warcraft" doesn't say much.

You could also keep yourself sane by reading, taking a walk and so forth. If you really want to game, I'd argue you'd be better of with any single player experience that doesn't require: internet service and a subscription.

Living in Japan since 4 years back (Studied, and working now) Getting between 250-270 ms on EU realms, living out on the countryside. Probably better in Tokyo.

If you can choose your ISP, I recommend ASAHI Net. Always steady ms, no rubber banding at all.
    Stay faaaaar away from WAKWAK. (WAKWAK: 300ms on good days, 600+ on reset days and EU evenings, some days you will have 5+ sec delays.Rubber banding to hell and back. Talked with their support many times, they admitted that their hardware couldn't keep up with all their new users)

Takes a while to get used to the delay. But I'm still able to get 99%+ logs. You just have to be quicker when moving out from stuff.

You don't really have to worry about regions latency in mmorpgs as it needs to go over 300 to acctualy notice the lag, in mobas and FPS games the latency problems appear faster when you jump 170+ ping

Quote Originally Posted by Quro View Post
    Well, maybe if you're undergrad. When I got my graduate engineering degree here, it was probably the most relaxed 2 years of my adult life.

Unless by that you mean "go out clubbing every night", there's really isn't enough culture to take in to make you give up your normal hobbies. Especially over the stretch of a year.
    I've heard a lot of people say that in Japan, the most relaxed period in your life are the university years, but we'll see. Might be different for exchange students. My sempais who have been to Osaka University before me tell me it's tough. I know I will be fine, I will probably top all the exams as usual, but how do I put it... I hate studying, man xD From the bottom of my heart, I hate it. Having to sit down and read walls and walls of text which I have no interest in, save for a few details, considering my horrible concentration issues, man I hate it xD And homework... just got home, tired from all those lectures and can't wait to relax a little bit, play some games or maybe sleep? Haha, no. Here's some homework! And I am so slow at doing it (well, quality over quantity/speed stands true, but it's exhausting).

I hate studying and doing homework, but I know I have to do it and when the time comes, I believe my future self will handle it, as it has during the past 2 years. It's just that it's tiring and overwhelming just thinking about it. How I will have to take a break from all my hobbies again... It gets really crazy in my head when I have to do some really boring studying. Can't focus at all. I dive into my own world of fantasy and thoughts of the future and can't concentrate on studying at all. And my mind is screaming "GET ME OUT OF HERE! SCREW THIS STUPID BOOK, LET ME PLAY GAMES, WATCH ANIME, READ A FANTASY BOOK, DRAW SOME WEAPON DESIGNS, WRITE FANFIC! FREEEEDOOOOM!" or "Oh god, what did I get myself into." xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    No they shouldn't.

It's also not about if it is feasible.

I think it's quite clear what that means: "I think you probably shouldn't be playing World of Warcraft when you're studying abroad".
    First and foremost it's far too cumbersom, secondly it's too expensive, thirdly you should probably make the most of your time there.

Also: "I plan to spend at least one hour on World of Warcraft" doesn't say much.

You could also keep yourself sane by reading, taking a walk and so forth. If you really want to game, I'd argue you'd be better of with any single player experience that doesn't require: internet service and a subscription.
    Yeah and I am asking again, what is this supposed to mean? And I will return the favour and explain my question to you: "How in hell do you suddenly tell me what I am supposed to be doing with my free time? My mom doesn't dare do such a foolish thing, mortal!"

I can do a lot of things, absolutely true. And I do. I read books, I go jogging, I do exercises every day, I always do my homework, I never skip lectures, I am always on time, I have perfect grades and receiving various scholarships, I also worked all Summer to save up for a gaming laptop and I can afford a WoW sub, I eat healthy, I spend plenty of time with friends and have a girl waiting for me in Japan. I am in my prime and my life is flourishing in every aspect. So why am I not allowed to play games? I can play other games too, and one day I might, but I've been waiting for 11 years to play WoW properly. I am in no hurry to do so now, won't spend all my days and nights on it. I will continue living my normal life and just insert a little bit of WoW in it. As I said earlier, 1-2 hours a week during the semester. And what exactly do you want that to say? Just one hour of WoW. A naked fact, it's not supposed to "say" anything else. Geez man, you lecture me about the way I spend my free time yet here you are insisting on something which you are 100% not right about and trying to persuade me...

Plus, if I do indeed enjoy life in Japan, I have plans to live there in the future. At the very least, I am probably going to apply for another (even longer) scholarship program to study there after I graduate from my own university. I will have plenty of opportunities and time to make the most of. Worry not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzagaz View Post
    Living in Japan since 4 years back (Studied, and working now) Getting between 250-270 ms on EU realms, living out on the countryside. Probably better in Tokyo.

If you can choose your ISP, I recommend ASAHI Net. Always steady ms, no rubber banding at all.
    Stay faaaaar away from WAKWAK. (WAKWAK: 300ms on good days, 600+ on reset days and EU evenings, some days you will have 5+ sec delays.Rubber banding to hell and back. Talked with their support many times, they admitted that their hardware couldn't keep up with all their new users)

Takes a while to get used to the delay. But I'm still able to get 99%+ logs. You just have to be quicker when moving out from stuff.
    That's some useful information, thank you.
    Last edited by Shinrael; 2017-08-19 at 08:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Have you tryed US servers instead? Ppl in Korea playing on US servers say that their latency is about 160-180.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm in Tokyo, it's not going to get any better than what you described. But I'm thinking the OP cannot chose his own ISP since he'll most likely will stay in a dorm or at a host family (assumption) and these connections usually don't facilitate gaming. Some Japanese providers also block specific ports for gaming or p2p so you might be totally locked out of gaming in that regard.

Also the information I posted about earlier is from my experience as an exchange student to a university in Tokyo. It's going to be a great and relaxing time, but the amount of homework you'll get is just bleh. I remember we had 3 dictations and 2 kanji tests every week in addition to the usual homework for the core class, so it can be a bit much at times. That was just for the core japanese language class so we had additional homework and assignments for other classes too. Obviously your experience is going to differ, but Japanese universities tend to operate the same way in most cases so there should be a lot of similarities.
    Last edited by Shuji V2; 2017-08-19 at 09:39 AM.

I'm in Tokyo, it's not going to get any better than what you described. But I'm thinking the OP cannot chose his own ISP since he'll most likely will stay in a dorm or at a host family (assumption) and these connections usually don't facilitate gaming. Some Japanese providers also block specific ports for gaming or p2p so you might be totally locked out of gaming in that regard.

Also the information I posted about earlier is from my experience as an exchange student to a university in Tokyo. It's going to be a great and relaxing time, but the amount of homework you'll get is just bleh. I remember we had 3 dictations and 2 kanji tests every week in addition to the usual homework for the core class, so it can be a bit much at times. That was just for the core japanese language class so we had additional homework and assignments for other classes too. Obviously your experience is going to differ, but Japanese universities tend to operate the same way in most cases so there should be a lot of similarities.
    I'll be in a rooming house. My own private mini-flat/house basically. It's a little bit more expensive, but the scholarship covers it. I believe I'll have freedom over most stuff.

About the homework and stuff to do.. yeah, my body is... not ready but will be in time xD I hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also people should really stop saying this crap. It's totally feasible to play some WoW or other games for a few hours a week after making some homework or on a rainy day or whatever. You need some time to relax and unwind and it's not a good idea to get out and about all of the time in addition to the study course. You'll break in just a few weeks if you don't take some time to relax.
    No one said it wasn't feasible, I was saying that it's a once in a lifetime experience and you shouldn't waste it by playing video games.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    You're going to a different country for a year... I wouldn't be thinking about playing WoW to be honest.
    If you ever travelled for longer than a month, you'd know not every day can be an exciting adventure of cultural discoveries. And I mention this without even accounting for monetary limitations.

Deleted
    Um, as the guy above said, what is this even supposed to mean? I am going there for a YEAR. An entire year lol. Sure, time flies, but, do you think I will be walking outside day and night? I won't have unlimited money to just freely travel all around Japan or go out with friends every day? Sure, my time will be limited due to the heavy courses I will be taking, but I was originally planning to play atleast one hour a week, for the sake of immersing myself into a fantasy world to keep myself sane. I need that. Studying is too mentally exhausting otherwise.
    I'm sorry but I found this hilarious

Dude... you are going to f-in WeebNation... go and explore instead of playing this game... take 1 year break and relax in one of the most beautiful and advanced nations in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    No one said it wasn't feasible, I was saying that it's a once in a lifetime experience and you shouldn't waste it by playing video games.
    Yeah, well, it is not a once-in-a-lifetime experience. If I like it, I will settle there. Also as I said above, I can apply for other scholarships after I graduate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    I'm sorry but I found this hilarious
    You're effin' welcome, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deventh View Post
    Dude... you are going to f-in WeebNation... go and explore instead of playing this game... take 1 year break and relax in one of the most beautiful and advanced nations in the world.
    Now go, and practise your reading skills on the last 2 pages of posts where I already explained everything you might need to know about the situation, before posting ignorant comments.

My replies to these kind of posts will only get harsher. It pains me it is so hard for some people to grasp such a simple thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Gee, what's up with people telling the OP to stop playing the game while he's away. He obviously wants to play WoW while over there and that's his choice. x_x

Deleted
    Now go, and practise your reading skills on the last 2 pages of posts where I already explained everything you might need to know about the situation, before posting ignorant comments.
    Very few people bother reading more than the OP before replying, and then think they are the first to respond as they do.

Given the logic of their answer, you should not take your phone/tablet/computer/walkman/mp3 player/or even a book, because 24/7 you're gonna be sucking up culture, for free. Suggests to me that they really haven't ever spent a large amount of time in another country having to moderate their expenses and keep themselves entertained.

Good luck to you, wish I could afford to spend a year in Japan. You can bet I would be taking my PC with me too

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Very few people bother reading more than the OP before replying, and then think they are the first to respond as they do.

Given the logic of their answer, you should not take your phone/tablet/computer/walkman/mp3 player/or even a book, because 24/7 you're gonna be sucking up culture, for free. Suggests to me that they really haven't ever spent a large amount of time in another country having to moderate their expenses and keep themselves entertained.

Good luck to you, wish I could afford to spend a year in Japan. You can bet I would be taking my PC with me too
    Thanks, appreciated. Btw, there are various programs and scholarships, you might want to research about them on the net (well, if you're young enough I guess). I wouldn't be able to afford going to Japan either, but the scholarship covers it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
    I love how the guy asked a simple question and some people just assumed he is a no life addicted to wow.
    This is what the fuck is wrong with this forum. Someone ask a question about servers & latency, and then someone tells him that he's making a mistake in his life.

Like WHAT THE FUCK

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Given the logic of their answer, you should not take your phone/tablet/computer/walkman/mp3 player/or even a book, because 24/7 you're gonna be sucking up culture, for free.
    Been there, done that. It's not as you say. Do not make assumptions about things that you have never experienced.
    And I agree with OP, he need to take a part of his "old life" with him, to keep him sane. And I'm serious.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-08-19 at 08:35 PM.

You don't even know if he went there before and you are telling him what to do there lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Get fiber optic and have the internet wired into your computer.

I've never been to Asia, but I have been to the american continent and have connected to american servers in the EU.

The most ping I experienced on US servers is 400 for about 30ish seconds and that was during a time the US server was unstable anyway.

When I was on Holiday in mexico I was able to use the hotel internet to connect to the EU WoW servers without much issue.

Do a test, connect to an Asian server and see how much ping you get, then give or take a 100 depending on how good your current internet is.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-08-19 at 09:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, well, it is not a once-in-a-lifetime experience. If I like it, I will settle there. Also as I said above, I can apply for other scholarships after I graduate as well.
    I travel to Japan a lot on business and they're one of the nicest, most hospitable people on the planet. However, I probably wouldn't ever want to live there. It's one of the best countries to go if you're staying a short bit on business or vacation, but they are also one of the most xenophobic people on the planet. They don't like to mix with gaijins. You'll have a good time there if you're just studying, but wanting to live there is a whole new animal. You're going to have to jump through a lot of hoops and face a lot of discrimination unless you're Japanese yourself.

The "easiest" way if you want to live there is basically to marry a Japanese citizen there... Even then, it won't be easy.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama