Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The first movie should have been about Arthas since his story is the one of the only ones in Warcraft lore that is movie worthy.
    It sounds good on paper but look at how much of the story was changed in the movie. Not just tidbits either but some really important events were changed entirely so if they failed to follow the simplicity of the first war then imagine how much they would absolutely mangle Arthas.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-09-26 at 01:20 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

They tried. They failed. The Warcraft movie sucked. Anyone who isn't a fanboy will tell you that.

There will be no more movies.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post

Metzen got his hard on (as if WoD was not enough), the end.
    Hm, what do you mean?
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Hm, what do you mean?
    They did WoD and the AU Draenor with the abundance of strong and bulky orcs because Metzen was into orcs. Same for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The first movie should have been about Arthas since his story is the one of the only ones in Warcraft lore that is movie worthy. Warcraft 1 has an insanely vanilla story that was only written to hold up the campaign of that game. The characters were boring in the Warcraft movie because they were boring in Warcraft 1. Warcraft 3 characters actually have arcs. This isn't even mentioning some of the other major problems that movie had (bad pacing, bad writing, bad CGI).
    Thats the same thing i was thinking after watching the movie, why they didnt use arthas and the lich king since they are the most popular warcraft lore and would fit more the NA movies taste; that or illidan. Vanilla is so meh, is way too vanilla for these times

Deleted
    It's really sad cause they put so much effort into it. It just ended up being very forgettable. I hope they'll do a second one and learn from their mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Well, Warcraft is a $10 billion franchise if not more (I remember reading that number some time ago). So uhm the risk seemed to be not that big...
    Maybe during WotLK it was worth the risk but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    That could have been the time when plans for a movie started. I mean if they'd do a second movie now we would see it maybe in 2022 or 2023 or so.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

If they do anything then just do Animated movies direct to Netflix
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, it didn't do well. It was a financial failure (didn't break even) and largely got negative reviews. I don't think there will be a second movie.

It's production budget was $160 million, but there are more costs to making a movie.

Cast
    Rights and Writers
    Producers
    Director
    Production Costs
    Post-Production Costs
    Marketing
    wtf do you think "budget" even includes.. when you excluded everything from it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Well, Warcraft is a $10 billion franchise if not more (I remember reading that number some time ago). So uhm the risk seemed to be not that big...
    not only that but it was pretty big advertising for legion expansion bigger than those silly tv adverts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    legion launch was pretty close to wotlk though in terms of subs but then again so was warlords
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by skannerz22 View Post
    wtf do you think "budget" even includes.. when you excluded everything from it
    SNIP..
    Look ^ Another poster that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

We get it. You think it made money and didn't lose money. You're sadly wrong.
    We also get you wanted the movie to be really really good and so good that everyone seeing it would enjoy it to the point that another would be made and movie studios would be lining up to produce another one. Hell, Many were scared to take this one on and it took something like 5-6 different backers just to get it going and Universal was worried before the movie ever launched.

The only thing warcraft got right was good CGI Orcs and in the end that didn't mean jack.
    It lost money.
    It didn't interest non-warcraft viewers to any extent.
    Hell, it didn't do well with even many wow fans.
    The only place it did really well was China and those numbers are under scrutiny.

Look we get it. You wanted warcraft to be something awesome but over all, It just wasn't good and it wasn't worth the time.

However, if you want to understand movie budgets and whats outside of "production budget" Thinks like A&P, distribution ETC.... You can go back and look at an older post in this thread of mine that has a lot of good information for you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Apparently it suffered from the main thing that farks movies over: studio intervention.
    More romance! More relatability! We need some comedy in here, we need a fight scene here...

Dear lord.

They should've jumped on the Arthas bandwagon back in 2007. It would've been epic and pretty original for the market back then. Even the deepest of basement dweller's would've seen that shizz.
    Now that Game of Thrones established itself as -the- medieval fantasy t.v show, ppl would see the Lich King and go 'oh they just copied the GoT night king.' That does NO JUSTICE the most badass story in WoW.

You want love? Focus it on the relationship between Jaina and Arthas. Make jaina the 'protagonist' and show us the story through her. You can't fuck a story up too badly if you focus/explore two characters (which is a problem the first warcraft movie had. TOO MANY CHARACTERS!). If you need to take creative liberties, have Jaina be present during major scenes (like when arthas was young and got his horse invincible. Have that be the entrance to the story. Innocence of the child or whatever. God sakes, just adapt the Christie Golden novel.)The setting and forefront of the story should build how different their worlds are, the ecosystem that comes with being in line to the throne. King Terenas the absentee father, Jaina's dad the dead (lol). Show how different their paths are yet how complementary they are to each other. There shouldn't be a HUGE orc presence. Have name drops of other races/tribes/whatever, but not to a ridiculous extent (cough warcraft). Have arthas's delusions and warped justice sitting out of sight, and slowly trickling into the forefront as the trilogy continues (yes, trilogy). Capture the orange skies and deadly vibes of strathholm. I want to be PUNCHED in the CHEST when i see strathholm on the big screen (because i didnt even RECOGNIZE the streets of stormwind.) Give it the cinematic vibe of the original warcraft cinematics. Show his tragic fall, use that god damn lich king cinematic music at the crescendo...I want Lordaeron as its own character. Bright and hopeful at the start- then farked up, abandoned, cold and undead looking after Arthas off's Terenas... tirion as the rational layman, bolvar the hot head... have the some races ONLY as a side presence (dead tauren's body in the frozen wastes).... it could be sooo soo much. Its a human campaign intro for the general audience, lol.

WoW gets criticized for its simple/stereotypical story. But those are the foundations/building blocks for a potentially fantastic story if you explore the themes more intricately. It can be done, if you do it well. Justice, loyalty, ego, destiny, heroism, love, even the good ol warcraftian honour... its there... it just needs to be utilised.
    Last edited by digichi; 2017-09-30 at 10:48 AM.

I'm absolutely here for a War of the Ancients movie trilogy for $500 million or more in the style of Lord of the Rings (man I'd be super happy if it were The Hobbit quality). One can dream.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Look ^ Another poster that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

We get it. You think it made money and didn't lose money. You're sadly wrong.
    We also get you wanted the movie to be really really good and so good that everyone seeing it would enjoy it to the point that another would be made and movie studios would be lining up to produce another one. Hell, Many were scared to take this one on and it took something like 5-6 different backers just to get it going and Universal was worried before the movie ever launched.

The only thing warcraft got right was good CGI Orcs and in the end that didn't mean jack.
    It lost money.
    It didn't interest non-warcraft viewers to any extent.
    Hell, it didn't do well with even many wow fans.
    The only place it did really well was China and those numbers are under scrutiny.

Look we get it. You wanted warcraft to be something awesome but over all, It just wasn't good and it wasn't worth the time.

However, if you want to understand movie budgets and whats outside of "production budget" Thinks like A&P, distribution ETC.... You can go back and look at an older post in this thread of mine that has a lot of good information for you.
    "According to an article by The Guardian, movie costs can be broken down into some broad categories, including script and development (around 5% of the budget), licensing, and salaries of the big-name players, which usually includes the producer, the director and the big-name actors or actresses." <--- skannerz22 is correct.

I fucking hate how they gave Lothar a son just to kill him off so people feel bad for him. That's literally the only reason that character exists, to be killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    "According to an article by The Guardian, movie costs can be broken down into some broad categories, including script and development (around 5% of the budget), licensing, and salaries of the big-name players, which usually includes the producer, the director and the big-name actors or actresses." <--- skannerz22 is correct.
    Sorry but no. Overall he is incorrect. There is so much more than production budget and what it does not contain as mentioned. Hell, I even named a few production budget doesn't cover. A&P alone can add anywhere between 10-50million depending on the movie and thats not counting distribution either.

Like I said. go read a few of the links I posted a few pages back. It will help cause while production budget is the largest expense, its not nearly the only one and doesn't contain all the high ticket cost things that need to happen for a movie to launch.

I think it's great people really wanted this movie to do well and be their hopes and dreams for a new franchise but it just wasn't and isn't. Jones and crew screwed it up from story to directing to damn near everything but the CGI orcs. Just going to have to live with it.
    Last edited by quras; 2017-10-01 at 01:08 AM.

It didn't help selling this movie when they decided to release it during the worst period of time that the game had: the content drought of WoD. They also released the movie way to late, there was a lot less interest in Warcraft games than it was 10 years ago where they first even announced a possibility of a Warcraft movie. I do wonder how well the movie would do if it was released somewhere in TBC, WotLK or early Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Sorry but no. Overall he is incorrect. There is so much more than production budget and what it does not contain as mentioned. Hell, I even named a few production budget doesn't cover. A&P alone can add anywhere between 10-50million depending on the movie and thats not counting distribution either.

Like I said. go read a few of the links I posted a few pages back. It will help cause while production budget is the largest expense, its not nearly the only one and doesn't contain all the high ticket cost things that need to happen for a movie to launch.

I think it's great people really wanted this movie to do well and be their hopes and dreams for a new franchise but it just wasn't and isn't. Jones and crew screwed it up from story to directing to damn near everything but the CGI orcs. Just going to have to live with it.
    Ok, so we can both agree to the fact that there are more costs than just the budget, right?
    But can we also both agree that skannerz22 was correct in calling out Winter Blossoms statement in regards to the budget?

I only made the comment to show that skannerz22 was in fact correct in regards to Winter Blossoms statement, and not necessarily in regards to budgets in general :P.

The world is full up on tacky pointless CGI films. Thank michael bay.

I did enjoy it for what it was, but I'm disappointed because it could have easily been so much better.

I was looking forward to Stormwind being set ablaze, and I was looking forward to Orgrim beating the shit out of Blackhand. I got neither.

With that being said, I'd rather they do more audio dramas than another movie
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2017-10-01 at 06:16 AM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.