Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This sounds like a predatory system. If implemented as stated, I forsee the end of Destiny, and the end of Bungie.

But then again, people are actually playing Fortnite, so who knows. I guess most people pay little to no attention to the industry and flock like sheep to whereever marketing tells them to go
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Don't buy Activision games if you don't like their sales tactics or business model. The only reason they keep upping the ante of microtransactions is because people keep buying the games and paying for microtransactions

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    TL;DR Activision just patented a system for Destiny 2 which matches you against players better than you, to motivate you into buying shortcuts with real money.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...-items-w509288

This seems almost illegal. If not illegal, highly immoral. It targets what potentially is children with underhanded sales tactics. Not only that, but it will intentionally make an unfair match to do so.
    So it's literally what World of Tanks has been doing since it was released? Kind of late with your discoveries, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by slavrix View Post
    I love things like this.

If all players are getting matched against players better.....then what constitutes a better player?
    Since a player better than you will also be matched against a player better than them?

Holes amongst the Layers.
    Also, I'd be worried lesser skilled players would just give up and leave if they constantly got stuck against better players. Of course, they've already got your money from the original purchase so they may consider it a reasonable risk to take.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing was targeted at players who use microtransactions more frequently and ignore people who have played for months without ever making one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaspar View Post
    So it's literally what World of Tanks has been doing since it was released? Kind of late with your discoveries, aren't you?
    Just the small thing ..... WoT is free to play.

Yet another title sure to never grace my hard drive. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    this is fine in F2P games ... not in full price games.
    The point is still valid... Don't like it then don't buy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really don't get the outrage. It's basically using top players as a way to showcase the value of their product, and ensuring the customer feels the value in that purchase.

Would it potentially incentivize more purchases? Sure. So what? People are buying more stuff they want to have, and enjoying what they buy. That's not a "bad thing". Nothing in there suggested they were going to be creating unbalanced matches, which is the only way I'd see this as being "bad", since that would create lower win rates for non-paying customers on purpose.
    How do you not feel that map-matching to give a smoke and mirrors effect to an item's usefulness not impeding on quality of matches? It clearly attempts to give a benefit to the buyer of a map that would otherwise be random and possibly unfavorable. It's clearly rigged. Most of this, especially for purely cosmetic items, it doesn't bother me. But to explicitly try to prove an item's worth through match manipulation, that's really where the line lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really don't get the outrage. It's basically using top players as a way to showcase the value of their product, and ensuring the customer feels the value in that purchase.

Would it potentially incentivize more purchases? Sure. So what? People are buying more stuff they want to have, and enjoying what they buy. That's not a "bad thing". Nothing in there suggested they were going to be creating unbalanced matches, which is the only way I'd see this as being "bad", since that would create lower win rates for non-paying customers on purpose.
    I does open it up to unbalanced matches though. In my eyes matchmaking should only match you with players to give you a good game experience. Equal skill levels.

Not oh hey lets put this guy with this other guy because he has a really good skin for that guys main character and it might get him to buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    This sounds like a predatory system. If implemented as stated, I forsee the end of Destiny, and the end of Bungie.
    Keep in mind this is an Activision patent so Blizzard games aren't safe either. Overwatch has one of the worst loot box systems as well. Imagine them seeing you have a lot of hrs played on Reaper, the system labels you a Reaper main, and then puts you against/with players using the shiny new Reaper skin to entice you to buy it.

It's kinda disgusting really.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    this is fine in F2P games ... not in full price games.
    Agreed.

That is my position as well.

Never played destiny, and I may never play it, but can anyone tell me if the items you buy from the game are inaccessible anywhere and everywhere else in the game? Or is it a jump start to skip grinding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Never played destiny, and I may never play it, but can anyone tell me if the items you buy from the game are inaccessible anywhere and everywhere else in the game? Or is it a jump start to skip grinding?
    As it stands everything on the store besides blue mods is cosmetic. Blue mods give a stat bonus but its super small and u will be swimming in them.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Oh great, because match making isn't poor enough in multiplayer games, now we need to have a skin/weapon addition in the math as well, that'll probably not have any poor impact whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I does open it up to unbalanced matches though. In my eyes matchmaking should only match you with players to give you a good game experience. Equal skill levels.

Not oh hey lets put this guy with this other guy because he has a really good skin for that guys main character and it might get him to buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind this is an Activision patent so Blizzard games aren't safe either. Overwatch has one of the worst loot box systems as well. Imagine them seeing you have a lot of hrs played on Reaper, the system labels you a Reaper main, and then puts you against/with players using the shiny new Reaper skin to entice you to buy it.

It's kinda disgusting really.
    Agree with this.

There was a pic in the funny pic thread which I think is completely apt for loot boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    You get no power advantage from microtansactions in Destiny 2. It’s all vanity stuff other than weapon augments which the game drowns you in already.
    Correct, nothing say's that can't change. This system won't only be used in Destiny ether and the last two call of duty games you could buy power.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Fucking sleazy. I wish people would speak up with their wallets more. I also wish that could work, especially with the streamer culture that think "20000 loot opening!!!! Crazy results!" is good content. It only entices people more, and they wind up under the curse of hunting those sweet sweet items that will give you an edge, even If you had to pay up the ass for it. It is sickening, and it is unfortunately not going to stop. I hope it will, but I only see it getting worst.

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    Fucking sleazy. I wish people would speak up with their wallets more. I also wish that could work, especially with the streamer culture that think "20000 loot opening!!!! Crazy results!" is good content. It only entices people more, and they wind up under the curse of hunting those sweet sweet items that will give you an edge, even If you had to pay up the ass for it. It is sickening, and it is unfortunately not going to stop. I hope it will, but I only see it getting worst.
    Ofc. it gets worst ..... plenty of people in this topic are actually defending this, go figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I understand how this would work. 50% of the time YOU are the player who is matched against someone better, and 50% of the time YOU are the better player that someone got matched against? It's impossible to always match everyone against better players, because then those "better players" would be matched against weaker players.

I play very little of these so called tripple A games... actually about all games I play are 10 to 25 years old and while some have expansions or data disks.. very few have DLC, micro transactions or underhanded affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    TL;DR Activision just patented a system for Destiny 2 which matches you against players better than you, to motivate you into buying shortcuts with real money.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...-items-w509288

This seems almost illegal. If not illegal, highly immoral. It targets what potentially is children with underhanded sales tactics. Not only that, but it will intentionally make an unfair match to do so.
    Illegal? Lol it's a game.