Thread: New PC...?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New PC...?

As always there is a temptation in me to buy a new PC. My current PC is about 4 years old which makes the temptation even greater! Is it a good time to buy a PC or should I wait until next year to see if there are better CPU’s etc coming out?
    My current spec -

i7-4820k
    Asus p9x79 pro motherboard
    16gb vengeance 2133mhz
    980ti
    Samsung pro SSD

upgrading your pc doesnt make sense from a financial standpoint
    its still good enough.

if you're like me and like spending more money then necessary on a pc you first and forall do not need this thread. Because you very well know what you are doing.
    AND
    you buy anyway what you want which is most often not the "sane" choice.

as a rule of thumb i always recommend skipping at least one generation of gpus - and for cpu's at least 3 generations.

but hey i also upgraded from a980 to a 1080ti . so fuck my recommendations aye?

Is it a good time to buy a PC or should I wait until next year to see if there are better CPU’s etc coming out?

This is a question you should NEVEr ask yourself.
    There will always be better stuff coming out the next year and the year after that.
    So based on that it is never a good time to buy an upgrade.

The only question you should aks yourself:

is my hardware still good enough for what iam doing?

If no - > buy parts

The only part of your PC that I'd (personally... as a gamer) consider upgrading would be the video card, and right now is a pretty bad time to do so economically speaking. The 980Ti isn't exactly top-shelf hardware anymore, but it's not a bad card, and still has enough viability to last you at least until the next generation of cards drop... which shouldn't be too long. Let's just hope crypto-currency miners don't keep the prices inflated, not that I have anything against them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had an offer for my current PC today so A new rig is definitley on the horizen now. I cant decide which CPU to go with though! i7-7820X VS Threadripper 1920X

Deleted
    depends a lot what u play, and ur monitor; is good time for new cpu , but bad time for new gpu(low and mid tier), mobo and ram; definetly if its just for gaming buy a 7700k/8800k

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
    depends a lot what u play, and ur monitor; is good time for new cpu , but bad time for new gpu(low and mid tier), mobo and ram; definetly if its just for gaming buy a 7700k/8800k
    I play a variaty of games tbh. WoW, Overwatch, D3, Battlefield 1... and looking to get involved in the new Call of duty and Destiny 2 when I get round to buying them. I is the Asus Rog swift 27'' 144hz 2560x1440

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aarro View Post
    I play a variaty of games tbh. WoW, Overwatch, D3, Battlefield 1... and looking to get involved in the new Call of duty and Destiny 2 when I get round to buying them. I is the Asus Rog swift 27'' 144hz 2560x1440
    if the heaviest workload ur pc does is gaming i highly recommend buy the 7700k or 8700k; more cores doesnt make a cpu better for gaming all what you care is single core performance which makes the 7700k/8700k better cpu than i7-7820X and Threadripper 1920X ; i would save money by buying 7700k and mobo and using the extra money to get a 1080ti but if money is not the problem get the 8700k and a 1080ti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuzdul View Post
    if the heaviest workload ur pc does is gaming i highly recommend buy the 7700k or 8700k; more cores doesnt make a cpu better for gaming all what you care is single core performance which makes the 7700k/8700k better cpu than i7-7820X and Threadripper 1920X ; i would save money by buying 7700k and mobo and using the extra money to get a 1080ti but if money is not the problem get the 8700k and a 1080ti
    I have decided to go with the 8700k. I'm actually struggling with which case I like now, lol. I know there are many out there but I am very picky and when it comes to spending £2-3000 on a new build, I want it to look great. the spec I am looking at is -

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
    NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
    Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
    Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING
    EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I would wait for NVIDIA nextgen Volta GPUs coming out early next year if you have decent PC right now. Performance gap between Volta and current Pascal should be significant for the price.

To be honest, your rig is way too good to replace right now. But that's my opinion, and I don't really play top end graphics games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    To be honest, your rig is way too good to replace right now. But that's my opinion, and I don't really play top end graphics games.
    That post above isnt my current spec, Its the one I'm looking at getting..

Then there's no need replace anything.

I have a 980ti and the same screen. I can literally play everything on max settings without ever dropping below 60 fps. I'm playing the shitty Wolfenstein at "Mein leben!" and average 90 fps for example. My CPU is even older, though it's clocked quite high: 3770k at 4.8ghz 24/7 6 years and counting.

Nevertheless, I am going to build a new system when the damn 8700k is in stock again. Not because I need to, but because I want a new shiny pc. I won't be replacing my 980ti though, that wouldn't make any sense.

The moral of the story is you don't need a new pc, you'll probably won't even notice you "upgraded" unless you actually look at your pc and see a different chassis. But hey, the good news is that neither of us need to feel stupid for it, since our cpu's are pretty old. I've seen people "upgrading" from a 6700k on these forums. Talk about ignorant, right?
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-10-29 at 11:56 AM.

Can I have your old and extremely obsolete rig?

My great great great great great caveman grandpa even makes fun of my evo ssd instead of buying pro.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have decided to go with the 8700k. I'm actually struggling with which case I like now, lol. I know there are many out there but I am very picky and when it comes to spending £2-3000 on a new build, I want it to look great. the spec I am looking at is -

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
    NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
    Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
    Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING
    EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Waste of money with that rig you have now. Only upgrade you could do if you really want to upgrade is your GPU.

And if you really are going to upgrade, then what the hell are you gonna do with a 1000W PSU?. Unless you are planing on using a big water setup and running SLI, then that PSU is way, way overkill
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Waste of money with that rig you have now. Only upgrade you could do if you really want to upgrade is your GPU.

And if you really are going to upgrade, then what the hell are you gonna do with a 1000W PSU?. Unless you are planing on using a big water setup and running SLI, then that PSU is way, way overkill
    The whole rig is a waste of money performance-wise; he'll barely notice the difference. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    The whole rig is a waste of money performance-wise; he'll barely notice the difference. /shrug
    Barely a difference between a 980 Ti/4820k and 1080 Ti/8700k? That totally depends on what he's playing and what he's shooting for in terms of fps but there should be a pretty significant difference overall.

Most people looking at this stuff aren't on 1080p 60hz anymore. Higher resolutions with higher refresh rates demand higher end components. 1080p 240hz, 1440p 144/165hz, 4k 60hz or even 4k 144hz by next year, etc. They pretty much squeeze your system for everything it has.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether or not its worth it depends on the difference between what he was offered for the old PC and what the new one would cost. To upgrade seems rather silly to me, but if a great deal of the upgrade cost is mitigated by selling the old, then it may not be without merit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like its been said. Its a a waste of money, especially at 3k, but you'll feel it after you get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    Barely a difference between a 980 Ti/4820k and 1080 Ti/8700k? That totally depends on what he's playing and what he's shooting for in terms of fps but there should be a pretty significant difference overall.

Most people looking at this stuff aren't on 1080p 60hz anymore. Higher resolutions with higher refresh rates demand higher end components. 1080p 240hz, 1440p 144/165hz, 4k 60hz or even 4k 144hz by next year, etc. They pretty much squeeze your system for everything it has.

I never said there wouldn't be a difference in performance. I said he wouldn't notice it, which he won't. Just as an example, the new Wolfenstein runs at about 90fps here on a 3770k @ 4.8ghz with a 980ti. This in MAX settings ("Mein leben!") and at 1440p, which is the resolution of OP's screen. Though I know this is merely one example, I'm pretty sure there aren't any games a 980ti can't handle on max settings at 1440p; it's still a ridiculously strong card and quite frankly, so is his CPU.

If he had wished to step up to 4k, it would've made a difference. Now? No, not by a long shot.

To make a long story short, he's not upgrading out of need nor for a boost in performance. He's upgrading because he wants something new and shiny and that's perfectly fine.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-10-30 at 02:27 PM.

Deleted
    That comp is much better than mine ;D