Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Netflix claims ISPs are still throttling them

Jesus that img from that website is big...anyway...

Well, as a consumer, I pay for what speed I want to speed at on the speedweb.

Don't businesses pay for what speed they want to speed at too?

If so, how does that even work when I speed to their website?! Why would I be able to speed to their site as fast as I paid for if they didn't pay for as fast as I paid for?

Fucking tech is all magic to me anyway, so disclaimer for anyone who is going to attempt to answer...

I most likely won't believe the answer...but I am still curious as to what people say the answer is... thanks!
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-11-12 at 12:26 PM.

I was surprised to learn that through Comcast my speeds are within margin of error on either site... good job Comcast?

Deleted
    I actually get a faster speed on Fast.com than i do on speedtest. I guess BT isn't throttling.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current US administration does not believe in net neutrality as with most things republicans it prevents them from sucking corporate dick. As said corporations want to set up unfair monopolies, as republicans aren't for free market, only for market free to be controlled by their benefactors.

Before when it was planned this happened less but since this was completely undone this is the result enjoy the way you voted.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    enjoy the way you voted
    I didn't vote for Trump, who placed the madman at the helm of the speedweb. But that doesn't answer my question, anyway.

"Why would I be able to speed to their site as fast as I paid for if they didn't pay for as fast as I paid for?"

Which is how the net works right now, while it is supposedly neutral.

Ajit Pai was put into the FCC by Obama. Trump has lots of blame on his neck, but the FCC cluster is not his egg.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm using Verizon Fios. They aren't throttling it for me. Fast.com reported 58 Mbps. Verizon reported 57.91. Seems just about right. My upload was a bit faster at 63 too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    I actually get a faster speed on Fast.com than i do on speedtest. I guess BT isn't throttling.
    Same here on VM, maybe it's just the US?

Deleted
    My isp here in France do exactly the same. From 45 to 2-3 mbits and not just only on netflix. They also do it for youtube and twitch ....

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    Ajit Pai was put into the FCC by Obama. Trump has lots of blame on his neck, but the FCC cluster is not his egg.
    My memory is that Ajit was placed at the helm after Trump was elected. "In January 2017, President Donald Trump designated Pai as FCC Chairman." Wiki has that same memory.

Still doesn't answer my question as to how my fast net that I paid for can be the same speed as your slow website that you paid for once I am connected to your slow website?
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-11-12 at 01:47 PM.

Ajit was put into the chair position by Trump and a vote, yes. But he was appointed to the short-list by Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Well, as a consumer, I pay for what speed I want to speed at on the speedweb.

Don't businesses pay for what speed they want to speed at too?

If so, how does that even work when I speed to their website?! Why would I be able to speed to their site as fast as I paid for if they didn't pay for as fast as I paid for?

Fucking tech is all magic to me anyway, so disclaimer for anyone who is going to attempt to answer...

I most likely won't believe the answer...but I am still curious as to what people say the answer is... thanks!
    You pay for speed "up to the given speed" but you should expect 80% of what is advertised. Also most people will get a 10/100 switch or router because its "cheaper" than a gigabit switch and wonder why their internet is slower.....

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You pay for speed "up to the given speed" but you should expect 80% of what is advertised. Also most people will get a 10/100 switch or router because its "cheaper" than a gigabit switch and wonder why their internet is slower.....
    Still doesn't answer my question as to how I can have my fast speed I paid for on a slow speed website that they paid for?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    Ajit was put into the chair position by Trump and a vote, yes. But he was appointed to the short-list by Obama.
    Trump has fired people. Could have fired the madman instead of giving him the key to the speedweb, or simply not given him the key and left him where he was.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-11-12 at 01:54 PM.

Hmm apparently my ISP is giving as advertised ( atleast in this case.. ) since I have the same speed both on Speedtest and fast.

Guess eventually even Telenor got something right.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2017-11-12 at 01:55 PM.

3.7? You get better speeds with copper wires and tech from the 1980s.
    I feel sorry for americans sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    I didn't vote for Trump, who placed the madman at the helm of the speedweb. But that doesn't answer my question, anyway.

"Why would I be able to speed to their site as fast as I paid for if they didn't pay for as fast as I paid for?"

Which is how the net works right now, while it is supposedly neutral.
    ISP often do bundle deals with other services that result into them trying to give you a better experience with their service. They don't want you the consumer to freely decide and they do not want competition to be better than them and if they can't beat them on content they'll do so on speed.

Now netflix and other services are know to use up a lot of what a ISP can provide but even so, not sure it will ever get to the point that it will really effect your internet experience badly, Netflix can fight back, my main issue with this is new start ups being choked by bigger giants merely due to their standing with providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    ISP often do bundle deals with other services that result into them trying to give you a better experience with their service. They don't want you the consumer to freely decide and they do not want competition to be better than them and if they can't beat them on content they'll do so on speed.

Now netflix and other services are know to use up a lot of what a ISP can provide but even so, not sure it will ever get to the point that it will really effect your internet experience badly, Netflix can fight back, my main issue with this is new start ups being choked by bigger giants merely due to their standing with providers.
    Still not seeing an answer to my question, thanks though.

Deleted
    I have problems with twitch - my ISP (Telekom Germany) tells us it's twitch's fault and twitch calls out the ISP -> it's a peering problem nobody feels responsible for. I don't think anything will change in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    And when the ISP cuts a service down to 10% or less of what their consumers pay for unless said service pays the ISP more?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Will admit I feel sorry for those in an area with shit providers.