Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    reading comprehension for the win! I unsubbed until flying patch was announced. at which point i bought expansion and did the pathfinder and played for a while, even did argus becasue of all the "its not that bad" and i kinda wanted to see if the story was worth the bother. it wasn't. this is my plan for the next expansion as well. there is no point in buying it until just before flight is available for me. because being on the ground in WoW hasn't been fan since Cataclysm. and... becasue I've been spoiled by games that while keeping me grounded, don't force me into 20 minute afks, while on a taxi that is taking the scenic route.

and more reading comprehension - the problem with terrain is not that its hard. its that its bloody annoying and tedious and arbitrarily takes longer to navigate. having to go around in circles to get to where you are going is not challenge. its time sink. before i unsubscribed, i didn't even bother to fight things. i just rode through them, trailing mobs behind me, unless someone else came through just before so they gathered all the mobs behind them . since pretty much everyone does it that way.

there is a middle ground between kansas and rat maze. ironically enough pre cataclysm zones? were that middle ground. with exception of blade edge mountains which apparently Blizzard decided to base their entire expansions on >_>
    Argus is a joke. Some weeks after release it's nothing more than chasing loot pinatas aka rares. Only slightly better than Broken Shore. When I get all mounts and enough gear to finish Mage Tower Challenges, I will be ignoring this place.

reading comprehension for the win! I unsubbed until flying patch was announced. at which point i bought expansion and did the pathfinder and played for a while, even did argus becasue of all the "its not that bad" and i kinda wanted to see if the story was worth the bother. it wasn't. this is my plan for the next expansion as well. there is no point in buying it until just before flight is available for me. because being on the ground in WoW hasn't been fan since Cataclysm. and... becasue I've been spoiled by games that while keeping me grounded, don't force me into 20 minute afks, while on a taxi that is taking the scenic route.

and more reading comprehension - the problem with terrain is not that its hard. its that its bloody annoying and tedious and arbitrarily takes longer to navigate. having to go around in circles to get to where you are going is not challenge. its time sink. before i unsubscribed, i didn't even bother to fight things. i just rode through them, trailing mobs behind me, unless someone else came through just before so they gathered all the mobs behind them . since pretty much everyone does it that way.

there is a middle ground between kansas and rat maze. ironically enough pre cataclysm zones? were that middle ground. with exception of blade edge mountains which apparently Blizzard decided to base their entire expansions on >_>
    Fair enough. Those weren't my experiences, but the world would be boring if we all enjoyed the same things. I am happy for you that you found other games you enjoy more. I get the overall impression that you probably wouldn't enjoy playing WoW for more than a few weeks at a time anyway, so maybe this all works out for the best. Cheers!

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zagden View Post
    How do you design content around flying? Flying is inherently limiting in gameplay possibility. Other than flying through hoops in the air, there's no trick to it. You mount, fly to the mob you need, divebomb it, mount again, repeat. Without flying you can even design a quest to just enter a fortress and get to the other side of it while fighting your way through or avoiding mobs without having to have a quota for how many mobs you need to kill on the way. Removing flying opens up so many possibilities and adding flying adds none.
    easy, ceiling on how high you can fly with fatigue like water has now, mobs in the air that can knock you down, mobs on the ground with attacks/abilities to pull u down. Your fortress example is the easiest you get closed they open up the air defense knocking you down. They have had small areas like this already in previous xpacs.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    easy, ceiling on how high you can fly with fatigue like water has now, mobs in the air that can knock you down, mobs on the ground with attacks/abilities to pull u down. Your fortress example is the easiest you get closed they open up the air defense knocking you down. They have had small areas like this already in previous xpacs.
    They removed it because of players QQs.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Argus is a joke. Some weeks after release it's nothing more than chasing loot pinatas aka rares. Only slightly better than Broken Shore. When I get all mounts and enough gear to finish Mage Tower Challenges, I will be ignoring this place.
    Reminds me a lot of Isle of Thunder mixed with Timeless Isle, for better and worse. I've seen the three side-by-side recently as I've been bouncing between mount farming and AP farming. It's like Isle of Thunder in that it has a bit of story unfolding mixed with repeatable stuff that you farm daily. It's like Timeless Isle with all the treasure chests and hidden games. It's like both in being no-fly zones.

But honestly, which outdoor zones in all of WoW are any different? By which I mean, which outdoor zones offer more repeatable content? That doesn't start to feel repetitive? If they ask me one more time to loot that storm necklace from that same chest... how does that thing keep getting back in there anyway?

- - - Updated - - -

I've said all along they should allow attempted flying on Argus while making it absolutely as dangerous as Turalyon warns us it is.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2017-11-15 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    Reminds me a lot of Isle of Thunder mixed with Timeless Isle, for better and worse. I've seen the three side-by-side recently as I've been bouncing between mount farming and AP farming. It's like Isle of Thunder in that it has a bit of story unfolding mixed with repeatable stuff that you farm daily. It's like Timeless Isle with all the treasure chests and hidden games. It's like both in being no-fly zones.

- - - Updated - - -

I've said all along they should allow attempted flying on Argus while making it absolutely as dangerous as Turalyon warns us it is.
    very much agreed, or fire bases with cannons the players could take over for an hour or so and while it was player controlled u can fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    They removed it because of players QQs.
    not suprising but i'd fully support if implemented I even think 300% speed is likely to fast.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    Fair enough. Those weren't my experiences, but the world would be boring if we all enjoyed the same things. I am happy for you that you found other games you enjoy more. I get the overall impression that you probably wouldn't enjoy playing WoW for more than a few weeks at a time anyway, so maybe this all works out for the best. Cheers!
    it used to be the only MMO I played back in BC and Wrath. I did quit in Cata (even being able to soar over everything didn't fix all the other issues I had with what WoW was starting to become). I still feel attached to the characters I've had for.. good lord a decade now. its why I keep being drawn back in. but this bullshit with flying and utterly atrocious terrain design they have been pulling since WoD? is not helping. I mean... they did all right in Mists of Pandaria (with terrain that is). i don't know what the heck happened here.

I gave up just after hitting revered with Argussian Reach. mounts would be nice, but you are right. its just chasing rares, trailing mobs you ignore because pointless and barding - until they drop off quickly enough. or if they don't AoEing them down while you get that hit on the rare to ensure loot. or missing that rare becasue even though its right bellow you, you won't survive the fall, glider will take too long and going down the zigzag path will take even longer, so you get there and wait for it to respawn (or above you so you HAVE to zigzag our run around the spiral to get to it. to get an egg that takes 5 days to hatch into spoiled yolk. or 6th piece of unsullied mail gloves you don't have any alts to give to, since you already have them on your hunter and your shaman, so you just vendor them, hoping that maybe.. maybe tomorrow that damn rare will finally deign to drop the mount or the pet... and be disappointed yet again. dealing with tedious terrain. for this? so fun.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-11-15 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Great and welcome news. Ian confirmed during a Blizzcon interview that flying will not be available in Battle for Azeroth at launch. Furthermore, Blizzard will continue with this approach for the foreseeable future in subsequent expansions.

https://youtu.be/DkdTS_8Y61Q?t=37m

Paraphrase of Ion's quote from the link above:

Its great to see Blizzard continue to acknowledge / listen to the community - and not cave in to a small minority of outspoken and melodramatic players who wouldnt know whats good for the game if it hit them in the face - in agreeing that World of Warcraft is a game best played and experienced on the ground. Its as simple as that.

Thankyou, Blizzard.

I think the biggest Flying lesson learnt from Legion is: the better the content, the lesser we need flying and ppl even care about it. The weaker the content (Warlords of Draenor) the more people will be frustrated and bored and grasp at things to complain about andor ways to skip content.

If Battle for Legions content is as strong as Legions (or better) - we can hopefully get away with having no flying for even longer this time round.

This is not news.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

it used to be the only MMO I played back in BC and Wrath. I did quit in Cata (even being able to soar over everything didn't fix all the other issues I had with what WoW was starting to become). I still feel attached to the characters I've had for.. good lord a decade now. its why I keep being drawn back in. but this bullshit with flying and utterly atrocious terrain design they have been pulling since WoD? is not helping. I mean... they did all right in Mists of Pandaria (with terrain that is). i don't know what the heck happened here.

I gave up just after hitting revered with Argussian Reach. mounts would be nice, but you are right. its just chasing rares, trailing mobs you ignore because pointless and barding - until they drop off quickly enough. or if they don't AoEing them down while you get that hit on the rare to ensure loot. or missing that rare becasue even though its right bellow you, you won't survive the fall, glider will take too long and going down the zigzag path will take even longer, so you get there and wait for it to respawn (or above you so you HAVE to zigzag our run around the spiral to get to it. to get an egg that takes 5 days to hatch into spoiled yolk. or 6th piece of unsullied mail gloves you don't have any alts to give to, since you already have them on your hunter and your shaman, so you just vendor them, hoping that maybe.. maybe tomorrow that damn rare will finally deign to drop the mount or the pet... and be disappointed yet again. dealing with tedious terrain. for this? so fun.
    You might try it on a DH. All those obstacles become fun jumping-off points. Also, have you farmed a Sightless Eye yet? It's fun having a cloaking device.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if they stick with the pathfinder system, it is brilliant. Sadly, I think it'll be a 2 part achievement.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Pathfinder feels like the only real achievement to me where time and effort you put in continue to have value through time and progression of the game. All other aspects of the game suffer too much inflation in a too short time span which makes a lot of things meaningless for me.

I'm totally fine with the system and if they keeo it I'll be happy to work my way towards flying in BfA. Hated that it was way too much connected to Suramar though and I hope it will include more zones in the future.

Well I never threatened to quit just because of flying
    I'd wager that most people didn't quit over flying, but because of the way Blizzard conducts themselves in regards to the entire issue.

Meh, another expansion I'll buy once it hits $10 and sub for a couple of months to speed level my characters to 120. My best questing experiences in modern WoW is WotLK, Cataclysm and MoP. Cataclysm might be the best in heavy phasing WoW. More classic quest design like Vanilla and TBC I view in a different light, since it has a different design. So I can easily say that both WoD and Legion has been dreadfully boring to level. Luckily Legion had quite quick leveling, making the experience bearable.

Hoping they release Classic servers around the time of BfA launch.

Well I mean, no shit, are we supposed to be surprised by that? Lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilux View Post
    Meh, another expansion I'll buy once it hits $10 and sub for a couple of months to speed level my characters to 120. My best questing experiences in modern WoW is WotLK, Cataclysm and MoP. Cataclysm might be the best in heavy phasing WoW. More classic quest design like Vanilla and TBC I view in a different light, since it has a different design. So I can easily say that both WoD and Legion has been dreadfully boring to level. Luckily Legion had quite quick leveling, making the experience bearable.

Hoping they release Classic servers around the time of BfA launch.
    So leveling in Legion was boring, but leveling in Classic will be exciting? O.o

That's no news.

We can expect the same system for the next expansions, we can only ask for a shorter timegate.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'd wager that most people didn't quit over flying, but because of the way Blizzard conducts themselves in regards to the entire issue.
    I suspect less than 1% of players who have quit WoW have quit over either issue. Probably quite significantly less than 1%.

Just to be clear, that doesn't mean it isn't a valid issue worth discussing or having an opinion on, but I think you have to be realistic here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Widow View Post
    That's probably more accurate. A lot of people genuinely don't care, hell, probably 95% of the playerbase don't actually use forums, they don't use their voice so we'll never truly know.

I just think it's totally fine to have an opinion on things etc, but when people threaten to quit a game over something so abysmal, then there's nothing really to say other than it's sad and quite frankly, good riddance. We need less people who feel so very entitled to such things.
    As I said in the post directly above yours, I think it's not so much that players quit because they couldn't have flying, but rather because Blizzard completely disregarded all feedback on the issue, tried to dodge around admitting that, and then went on to turn flying into one more tool to stretch content.

You can see more of this type of behavior in the discussion and blue posts about the Crucible, and other areas. It boils down to: "We don't care what you think. We know you'll still give us your money, so we're going to do whatever the hell we want." And people don't like being treated that way.

not suprising but i'd fully support if implemented I even think 300% speed is likely to fast.
    True. Safe sky makes no sense. I mean we are in game full of wizards, demons, dragons, beasts, horrible nightmare creatures and so on, yet when we are in the sky nothing is of danger to us. Flying is really in a terrible spot right now.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I suspect less than 1% of players who have quit WoW have quit over either issue. Probably quite significantly less than 1%.

Just to be clear, that doesn't mean it isn't a valid issue worth discussing or having an opinion on, but I think you have to be realistic here.
    Realistically we don‘t know how many player did quit over flying and if it was the only reason. What we did know is that before WOD Blizzard avoided to talk in Detail about their plans (only a very simple person would believe that they didn't have plans at that time), PLUS they announced they have decided to cut flying out of future content on a third party webside, perfectly knowing what it would cause if they would communicate about it like any other change. Does that mean that many or the majority players have quit? Definitely not.

BUT what is pretty sure to say is that something happened that made them change from "no flight ever again in any future content" to "you have to be a pathfinder and work for it to unlock it after time". And it is pretty logic that enough people have quit and stated the flight-incident as ONE of their reasons. Just whining on the forums or threatening to quit is surely not enough to change a definitive stance on something on Blizzards side.

In short: there is a reason that Blizzard didn't cut flying out of any future content like they have actually planned during and at the beginning of WoD. And that same reason will probably have an impact on pathfinder requirements in BfA.