Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    I think depending on where you're from in the world, opening a conversation with a stranger with a compliment on their physical appearance is not akin to being polite.
    Sure it is, and it's honest, what the fuck else would have called you in from across the the room, her amazing ability to solve Algebra? Seriously, if I had someone that react like that much of an uptight asshole, I would be thankful I found out I wasted my time.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like compliments. I don't say go fuck yourself when I get one, I just feel awkward about it, but I still say thanks.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Approaching someone in the street without first saying "excuse me" and waiting to see if they have the time for your bullshit - is rude.

If you go "excuse me"
    And they go "sup?"
    Then you can say "I just wanted to tell - [insert compliment]"
    They go "creep" and move along or they say "why thank you so much you are not an abomination yourself"

This is how it's done properly
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    You don't do that unless you have business with them... Wow you really say creepy things here.
    It isn't creepy it's showing genuine affection. Maybe the handshake is a forward in some cultures, but creepy. Only if you are the kind of person he should have asked if they liked Anal and wanted to go to the bathroom together in the back.

Well, if you act like a creeper, people are going to think you are a creeper. Considering his litany of other threads... I'm pretty sure any compliment from the OP comes across as very awkward.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-relationships

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...d-a-girlfriend

Chicks don't like desperate guys.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-11-18 at 05:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I’m not surprised your told to got fuck yourself.
    What? No one said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Well if you approached me randomly in the street and said I was cute, I would be suspicious of you, because that is unusual behavior. At least where I live, that is not done. So I figure you're angling for something.
    Maybe you're were just so unbearably attractive I had to approach you to let you know.
    If someone just randomly came up to me and told me I was pretty, It'd make my day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Most people comment on what is going on at the time of speaking.

Is it raining? Is there alot of noise? Are they engaged in an activity? Are they looking at something?

All of these things are better openers to meet people then commenting on what they look like.

Be suave, not shallow. It's just more interesting to most people.
    That would be an indirect approach. There are a lot of arguments for indirect approaches being more fruitful. Still it doesn't change that there is a huge contradiction that people act rude when you make them a compliment.

That doesn't even have to mean that you walk up to them with the intention of hitting on them. Even if you just walk by, say "hi I just wanted to say, you look really cute, have a nice day" and leave, some people will still act rude. Why? When someone pays me a compliment, even a complete stranger, it makes me happy. So explain this behaviour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    You are obviously hitting on someone and they don't like you.
    How is that obvious unless he took the risk and asked.

@Anduin provided it's the right setting, you did the right thing. It happens some people are really up their own ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Yeah offering to shake someone's hand while introducing yourself to them is totally cringe. Have you ever met a person in real life?
    Yes, I have met a lot of people irl.

Saying "hi, I saw you standing there and I thought you were really cute, I just had to come over and say hi, my name is ..." while trying to shake some randoms hand on the street is cringe.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2017-11-18 at 05:51 PM.

What you seem to consistently fail to grasp is that there is a time and place for everything. Situation and context is everything.

Deleted
    You are obviously hitting on someone and they don't like you.
    Read my post properly.

That doesn't even have to mean that you walk up to them with the intention of hitting on them. Even if you just walk by, say "hi I just wanted to say, you look really cute, have a nice day" and leave, some people will still act rude. Why? When someone pays me a compliment, even a complete stranger, it makes me happy. So explain this behaviour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    Yes, I have met a lot of people irl.

Saying "hi, I saw you standing there and I thought you were really cute, I just had to come over and say hi, my name is ..." while trying to shake someones hand is cringe.
    No. it fucking really isn't this sounds like the biggest load of horseshit in the world, a person would have to be really fucked on themselves if they thought that. Unless it was in the wrong setting, it's real easy to say no thanks.

Certainly better than "I saw you from across the room and realized you have a nice ass, but with those big bird legs and this Captain Morgan, I am thinking as long as you don't look at me directly in the face, you might get lucky."

Or walk up and be like "Hey I was sitting over there staring at you for 3 hours and wanted to come over and ask what your hair smells like, princess."

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how you define "You are cute." a question.
    Might be a statement or observation, "hey you are cute, I saw you while I was standing over there, and wanted to know if we could dance, or hang out or officially talk and get to know one another."

I am sure as shit not going to start off with "Hey how much do you bench press?"

Read my post properly.
    Whether we like it or not, there's a difference in how men and women are treated, and how we treat ourselves. I've been told by random women that they think I look great in a business suit. (I wear them daily for work.) Random chicks off the street. Not cringeworthy.

For women, if a random guy said something similar, the guy would be called a creep. Because guys tend to have ulterior movies behind it. I'm betting that the women are thinking "If I respond positively, that would be a sign for the guy to press further."

Why the need to drop the line "you're cute" when introducing yourself? That takes it from being an introduction to coming across as creepy. If you honestly just want to get to know the person, there are better ways to start the conversation without that comment. Even before the recent overload of people in Hollywood claiming sexual harassment, walking up to someone and opening with the creepy line of "I was watching you and you're cute" (which is essentially what you're saying, regardless of how you are phrasing it) is a horrible way to make an introduction. It doesn't matter if you are at a bar or a club. Shocking news, but not everyone at a bar or club is there to "meet people". Some of them just want a drink and some time to relax.

Well, one good exercise i recommend if you are a straight guy, is to imagine receiving those same compliments from a big, burly, gay man that you don't know, eyeing you head to toe, in full leather gear. If you're uncomfortable, maybe keep those compliments to yourself.

Deleted
    He doesn't even introduce himself, he walks by says "just wanted to say you're cute" and leaves. That's just creepy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read my post properly.
    Where did you do this, not criticizing you but that really is an important detail.

I mean if I walked up to you in the Men's room and said hi I just wanted to say, you look really cute, have a nice day" It be inappropriate gay or straight, male or female.

Meaning if this is at an office, professional setting or work, then yeah as I said you will get that reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    You have 2 types of people

The ones that say Thank you

And the ones that say Fuck you
    It goes well beyond that. What some think is a compliment others will take as an insult or some sort of unwelcome commentary or advance. Say a guy sees a girl walking down the street and tells her she has nice tits. She is probably going to get upset and that moron might not understand why.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taedae View Post
    Why the need to drop the line "you're cute" when introducing yourself? That takes it from being an introduction to coming across as creepy. If you honestly just want to get to know the person, there are better ways to start the conversation without that comment. Even before the recent overload of people in Hollywood claiming sexual harassment, walking up to someone and opening with the creepy line of "I was watching you and you're cute" (which is essentially what you're saying, regardless of how you are phrasing it) is a horrible way to make an introduction. It doesn't matter if you are at a bar or a club. Shocking news, but not everyone at a bar or club is there to "meet people". Some of them just want a drink and some time to relax.
    Cause he thinks they are cute, " HI, I THINK YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL" doesn't mean you have to do anything with that, maybe it's just being honest and saying " Oh hey, You look beautiful, I would like to get to know you better and see if your personality matches"