Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's the purpose of the Follower-System?

Like, what is the point of having followers and assigning them to do missions? I mean they aren't as mandatory as they were in WoD, but it's still something you need to do and it really isn't any kind of engaging (or fun) gameplay. So why did Blizzard implement this in the first place and why are they still continuing this in BfA?!

EDIT: Pardon me. Apparently they've said that they aren't continuing the system as is in BfA (hooray!), but they will be using the "tech" for something else.

EDIT: Talking about the "mission table". Personally, I think that bodyguards are a good addition.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2017-11-20 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Like, what is the point of having followers and assigning them to do missions? I mean they aren't as mandatory as they were in WoD, but it's still something you need to do and it really isn't any kind of engaging (or fun) gameplay. So why did Blizzard implement this in the first place and why are they still continuing this in BfA?!
    Still continuing this in BfA? Provide source please.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    So why did Blizzard implement this in the first place and why are they still continuing this in BfA?!
    First place, WOD: Something to do to give special rewards.
    Now, Legion: To give special rewards and progress the storyline.
    Later, BfA: No clue, don't care.

I agree that it's not a good system. It could be, but it is far far too annoying.

Have they said it would be continued in BFA? I hope it isn't. It's terrible.

The purpose is daily engagement. Even if you don't actually play WoW that day, raid with your guild, do daily quests, whatever, this gives you some way to interact with the game and make small but meaningful progress. Constant engagement improves retention. What's deadly to a subscription game like WoW is when you forget to play for a day because there's nothing in particular you want to do. Because then maybe you forget to play the next day too, and then a couple months later you see a $14.99 charge on your credit card statement and cancel your subscription.

This is also why they kept gold rewards for garrison missions in Legion even though it essentially destroyed the economy in WoD, inflating currency beyond belief. Even though this objectively hurt the game for many players, it kept them coming back every single day to refresh those missions, because hey, free money.

The above all sounds very cold and calculated, but I do believe it's why these missions are in the game.

They pretty much stated no followers in BfA, and honestly with what they give on legion (pretty much just gold and more AP), if you feel forced to do it, I'm afraid that it's on you.
    I know some people love having that little something to do on their phone. Let them.

They actually said NO followers in BFA in many interviews, but okay, OP. You go with that, I guess.

It's a time sink.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I like about the current system is the bodyguard. It fun having an npc fight with you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooid View Post
    The only thing I like about the current system is the bodyguard. It fun having an npc fight with you.
    I've had Meatball for two expacs now. I'm gonna miss him
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to miss my bodyguard..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yeah, would be nice if they kept the bodyguards and threw out everything else.

Deleted
    I did them at the beginning of Legion but after a longer break I didn't touch them once. The upgrade system isn't well designed and as others said: It's not fun, not even with the app imo.

That could be interesting, a secondary progression system just for worldquests and outdoor content. I'd be into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    They actually said NO followers in BFA in many interviews, but okay, OP. You go with that, I guess.
    actually no, they were mostly non committal, but in one of the interviews they mention that is probably will continue in some form, one of the later interviews is where I saw this.

Hmm, can't find what I meant, I may have quoted this on the official forums when i saw it, but I don't know, meh
    Last edited by garfeeld; 2017-11-19 at 08:12 PM.

I agree. I like the bodyguard stuff and I even liked the quests unlocking the followers. But the mission table is just horrible, that's it^^

Deleted
    Nothing. Useless boring mini-game. We put game into your so you can play and then actually not play.

it is to give some leadership mechanic, that you have earned the right to give someone else orders.
    And concept-wise that isn't actually too wrong in my opinion, just the execution is very mixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I'm getting resources just because the bodyguard on my alt, and he's used only for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    To make money, rep and give you bodyguards. I don’t have much issue with it, it gives me a reason to do shit on alts.

Then there’s Boros.

When levelling became frustrating, he was there to tank the mobs.

When Suramar Guards suspected something wasn’t quite right, he was there, undisguised and yet hidden.

When I grinded my way through monotonous world quests, he was there, with his battle cries and spirit.

When I was fighting my way through that filthy Alliance worgen tower, he was there, killing those Alliance pigs like no other Draenei before him.

I don’t even need him anymore but you know what? He’s still there, he still charges into battle, demanding the enemy fight with honour as we slaughter them back to back.

Boros? More like Broros. I’ll miss you buddy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the bodyguard system of WOD, it had more freedom. A plate tank for your mage, a healer for your tank, a range to go with your melee, it felt better.