Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The economy of ''Classic'' : people are in for a rough shock

I reached 60 some months before Burning Crusade so while it's vague, I recall somewhat the late Vanilla raiding scene and damn well to the BC scene.

And people are in for a nasty surprise if ''Classic'' is emulated with ''Classic'' economy, with highlights such as....

1)No daily quests whatsoever
    2)Compared to BC and up , a sufficient (barely) number of quests to reach 60, but not to get a few thousands easy gold (remember walking to the Scarlet Monastery because you had no cash for mounts ?)

Combined to...

1)Much higher raid consumable intake (such as a flask and potion every attempt and, which was ghastly for my arcane mage, need to chug mana pots as a caster....dozens of them per night. If your raid leader ask for the only food buff available in the time, the dirge kicking chimaera chops, leave the raid as this recipe require AQ 20 raiding...)
    2)No double specs
    3)The ultimate fun experience, at least on par with ''North Korean laogai'' : elemental resistance armor for everyone in the raid !

Here is a summarized highlight that I recall, for getting the ''flamecore robe'' (pattern sold by a dude in a dungeon that took three four hours, but that's trivial)

-Getting 2 boss drops from Molten Core (to craft the robe...that was required to enter in the molten core. People were not helping much newcomers in 2005, they are not going to help much now...They are BOEs)
    -Getting 10 cloths with something really ''hot'' from Vanilla and BC, you can make once every 92 hours. Hint : cost a lot
    -Getting 3 other boss drops (BOEs)
    -Getting 6 yet another boss drops, but that one you can also go farm elemental in Ungoro for 24 hours (0.5% drop rate) (BOE)
    -Getting 4 silks that drop yet another raid and/or insanely low drop rates. (BOE)

And you ''need'' two other crafted pieces, plus two or three BOE ones. All of this to be either collected yourself or bought while it's valuable, at the AH, without the daily quests...

Deleted
    It is very well known what vanilla was like. Millions of ppl played it. Dont really see your point

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...and? Vanilla wasn't easy to make gold, but it's doable. But that's one of the charms of Vanilla, you have to work for everything you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I could throw a shoe out of my window and hit a more reliable source than noxxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    But Tennisace I want you to provide a solution. You're our only hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    For many this was part of the charm of vanilla. Additionally, our guild farmed raid consumables and FR gear together. Granted, I did have to farm my SR gear to tank Twin Emperors myself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, do you really think the people who want vanilla don't remember all that you listed?

Sounds great
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    (to craft the robe...that was required to enter in the molten core.
    No one needed Fire Resist gear except tanks. Some people wore a very small amount for Firemaw, but even that was rare after the first couple kills. The only crafting requirement for MC/BWL is an Onyxia Scale Cloak, and even that you can cheese it with some classes and not wear it. I raided MC through Naxx on a Mage and the only bosses off the top of my head that I wore resist gear for were Huhuran in AQ40 and Sapphiron in Naxx40.

I think you also vastly overestimate how many consumables people used. Gold was a MUCH larger barrier in vanilla than it is now. Even on progression pulls, people didn't use every consumable because it simply wasn't feasible to do so. You used 1-2 elixirs at most, and probably Mana Pots on cooldown. The real consumable spam was saved for the roadblock DPS check bosses like Patchwerk and Loatheb.
    Last edited by Marxman; 2017-11-24 at 07:08 AM.

Why do people think whatever part of Classic is going to result in a "rough shock?". This is not 2004 anymore where most of the playerbase were doe-eyed noobs and first-time MMO players. The vast majority that will play on WoW Classic are going to be veterans who have "been there done that and got the t-shirt."
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    You know why I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV? Because it delivered a legitimate MMO experience at launch that wasn't this stupid ass farmville & welfare legendaries bullshit that turned something fun & easy to do w/ my free time on different characters into having to do a stupid and ridiculous grind that killed alts just for the fuckin PRIVILEGE to stare at a stupid ass dragon for 3 hours until everyone in your group stops being stupid and you beat it and dont get the loot you wanted

if you wanted an adventure back then you had to go and find it. you got your friends to play wow and spammed the fuck out of each wing of scarlet monastery to level up and to get that stupid spinning axe and a stupid level 32 required plate shoulder no one could wear until level 40. you ran through ashenvale to do bfd and you didnt give a fuck because you never did bfd and it was something new and u ganked lowbies on the way there bc fuck an alliance bitch

oh no theres not enough quests to get me to 60, guess we'll just have make friends with other people and run dungeons for loot and stuff

I really don't think people are going to be bursting with a ton of enthusiasm to raid classic. i definitely know i will be taking my time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    No one needed Fire Resist gear except tanks. Some people wore a very small amount for Firemaw, but even that was rare after the first couple kills. The only crafting requirement for MC/BWL is an Onyxia Scale Cloak, and even that you can cheese it with some classes and not wear it. I raided MC through Naxx on a Mage and the only bosses off the top of my head that I wore resist gear for were Huhuran in AQ40 and Sapphiron in Naxx40.

I think you also vastly overestimate how many consumables people used. Gold was a MUCH larger barrier in vanilla than it is now. Even on progression pulls, people didn't use every consumable because it simply wasn't feasible to do so. You used 1-2 elixirs at most, and probably Mana Pots on cooldown. The real consumable spam was saved for the roadblock DPS check bosses like Patchwerk and Loatheb.
    Pretty much this. I can't speak for others but consumable use in our guild in vanilla really wasn't that common bar certain fights. It was in my opinion way worse in TBC. Raid wide Resistance gear was needed for a couple of fights; Huhuran, Sapphiron, Ragnaros come to mind. For the rest, resistance gear was mostly restricted to tanks like the two Warlocks tank on Twin Emperors and normal tanks in MC. In our guild we farmed this stuff together on off nights to help each other out, and I am pretty certain that most guilds were the same. You have to remember in vanilla there was a much bigger sense of community. Similarly, healers didn't get left on their on to farm their consumables.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one needed Fire Resist gear except tanks.
    The whole raid needed some amount of FR, for some bosses and for some trash in MC.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The whole raid needed some amount of FR, for some bosses and for some trash in MC.
    I can assure you they didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can assure you they didn't.
    You can't assure me because I know we did.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't assure me because I know we did.
    We only used raid wide FR for Ragnaros. Not needed for trash, or any of the other bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem? I mean, you are to expect those things not to be in the museum.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    We only used raid wide FR for Ragnaros. Not needed for trash, or any of the other bosses.
    In a 40 man raid nothing is really needed for an individual player, they can die on trash and even bosses, it's ok. But if you didn't want to do it longer than needed. Every bit helped. No one says about full FR on everyone, but everyone should don some FR gear on some trash and bosses to reduce the damage intake.
    And as for Ragnaros, it just screams that everyone needed FR set. Not as crazy as tanks, but still a set nevertheless, and why wouldn't you use it on fire trash and other bosses as well at least in some capacity? You have it in your bags. Don't be a dead carry. Yeah paladins could stay out of fight and res you. But why would you allow this?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a 40 man raid nothing is really needed for an individual player, they can die on trash and even bosses, it's ok. But if you didn't want to do it longer than needed. Every bit helped. No one says about full FR on everyone, but everyone should don some FR gear on some trash and bosses to reduce the damage intake.
    And as for Ragnaros, it just screams that everyone needed FR set. Not as crazy as tanks, but still a set nevertheless, and why wouldn't you use it on fire trash and other bosses as well at least in some capacity? You have it in your bags. Don't be a dead carry. Yeah paladins could stay out of fight and res you. But why would you allow this?
    We never used it on trash. You just kill the Firelords/Flameguards first and banished the other trash (Lava Surgers, Lava Reavers, Lava Annihilators) but to each their own. On Ragnaros, we enforced full raid wide FR however.

No one flasked every pull except maybe the tanks in hardcore guilds. Only on gear check bosses where you were close to a kill.

I like resist gear.

No dual spec is good because it means you need to group up and be social with people who cover your weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    1)Much higher raid consumable intake (such as a flask and potion every attempt
    For the record, flasks persisting through death was actually a thing in vanilla. Not the entirety of Vanilla, but it was introduced somewhere in the middle, which comes back to the old argument of "which vanilla".

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    For many this was part of the charm of vanilla. Additionally, our guild farmed raid consumables and FR gear together. Granted, I did have to farm my SR gear to tank Twin Emperors myself.
    Yep, you could farm for consumables on your downtime when your guild wasn't raiding or when you weren't farming other things. That was part of the game, and I personaly enjoyed that, as it provided ebb and flow to your experience.