Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Proposal - 'Hardcore' Classic servers

I have a proposal for a type of server which should both satisfy those wanting something as pervasively difficult as classic was in PVE, as well as providing an even more group-oriented MMO experience.

Premises -

Using 1.12 actual gamestate for comparisons.
    Most adjustments from whatever goes live as 'classic' would be spreadsheet based in mob health/dmg, as well as some quest adjustments (group to raid). possible adjustment to earn xp for raid mobs while in a raid.

Premise - make most or all outdoor mobs elite, most outdoor questing group-oriented, and extant group quests become small raids (a la Darrowshire or Nathanos)

Suggestions -

1) outdoor normal mobs become elite. tuned to have ?? 2x-3x health and general damage, so that a player alone 1v1, blowing all cooldowns, MIGHT kill one before dying. Assume what are now outdoor normal mobs are tuned for 3 player groups, 2 dps (1 could be a tank or not) and 1 healer. This would in effect make the 'hardcore' servers a group game in most leveling content. Adjust certain item-drop quests (8 bear heads etc) to not require 3x the kills on average.

note that some areas with tightly packed mobs (troggs in loch modan) would in effecft need 5 players and even then might be ruff going, just due to mob density.

there are some mobs with powerful abilities (defias pillagers for example) which obviously would require some thought on how to buff, or they start one-shotting players. We can assume this is something that would be dealt with.

2) outdoor elite areas become raid areas. quests for these areas become raid quests. tune around 10-man raid size?
    2a) need to consider whether to allow xp from raids, even if it is a very low xp rate. maybe have raid-mobs give xp in raids, but not non-raid mobs.

3) increase required xp/level (or decrease xp/mob gain rate) to require substantially more work for a level. This will require clearing more leveling zones, and more dungeons.

4) consider which dungeons may be viable to re-tune as 10 or 15--man dungeons. this is the 'work' part for blizzard as would require re-tuning work. consider 2a) above too.

5) extant 'raid' dungeons could, if game area space permits, be retuned as larger groups, 20? UBRS, Strath, etc.

6) actual end-game raids - a single difficulty tuned to be nose-bleed hard.

A number of effects lead off from this -

1) healer and tank specs are NEEDED in outdoor questing, and it is possible to level outdoor questing in those specs.
    2) much more social game.
    3) with the xp changes, leveling can last months or longer just on a single character. players will complete most questlines for their faction.

forseen problems -

1) need more quests at higher levels. there are several zones that seem quest-poor - Azshara, Blasted Lands, plus there are several 'undeveloped' zones in the classic map that, if developed (and I think they could just be pasted in from the retail map, with some trimming, Hyjal and twilight highlands, for example) which might make up for this.

2) need people in zone to level. I think if left to itself this problem fixes itself via world channels, similar to how finding groups for dungeons is, but less structured and a much smaller up-front time committment required. Give people social tools and let them figure it out.

also, there are later instanced areas (grim batol for one, and the new blackrock area from cataclysm) which could be re-purposed and propertly tuned for this content.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    No gear allowed would assist this idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a proposal as well: that blizz just release the vanilla version of the game and ignore the dozens and dozens of annoying 'classic, but with THIS new thing!' topics you people are spamming the forums with.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I have a proposal as well: that blizz just release the vanilla version of the game and ignore the dozens and dozens of annoying 'classic, but with THIS new thing!' topics you people are spamming the forums with.
    Yeah, most of this stuff is nuts.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Maybe not with so many crazy restrictions but I'd enjoy an ironman server.

This ^

Blizzard are literally only bringing this out to kill the other 'classic' servers, and have their own cash cow. Standard WoW is, and always will be their optimal priority. They couldn't care less about making Vanilla the new WoW

There's no need for "Hardcore" Classic servers, Classic is already the most hardcore, challenging and brutal game experience ever.

That, or some people are shaking in their boots now that we'll soon have servers for people to play and experience, rather than the ramblings of rabid Muhnilla's on forums to go by when deciding what the content is like and what it required from the player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    There's no need for "Hardcore" Classic servers, Classic is already the most hardcore, challenging and brutal game experience ever.

That, or some people are shaking in their boots now that we'll soon have servers for people to play and experience, rather than the ramblings of rabid Muhnilla's on forums to go by when deciding what the content is like and what it required from the player.
    You're like the most salty guy I've seen this on part of the forum - why are you even here? "muhnilla sucks" every single time, its like your opinion has been noted - move along.

OT: Nice idea, but don't see it happenening \_(OwO)_/

Quote Originally Posted by hermansen View Post
    You're like the most salty guy I've seen this on part of the forum - why are you even here? "muhnilla sucks" every single time, its like your opinion has been noted - move along.

I think he does a great job of pointing out how fractured/silly the Vanilla crowd can be.

10+ Year Old Account

Rorcanna, welcome to my thread! It has been a long time

My idea has as backdrop the premise that actual classic servers will not be tuned as hard as 1.x-anything. My reasons for this are amply described elsewhere in this sub-forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Also this^ How can the hardest game of all time get harder?
    Welcome packers01, the old no-classic crowd is appearing in droves here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Yeah, most of this stuff is nuts.
    probably so, and highly unlikely, but (contrary to the symptoms some exhibit on these threads), what is the harm?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Indeed, This is getting tiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Edit: Reread the original post.

Funniest part is that on release Vanilla WoW was considered casual compared to stuff like EQ and Lineage. This is what made WoW so popular, it was first casual MMORPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Indeed, This is getting tiring.
    right. also important in this forum to avoid the question 'what if they don't release something tuned liked classic, even if it 'feels classic' or 'captures the classic game experience>?

few can take that one head-on as a what-if.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherblood View Post
    Edit: Reread the original post.

Funniest part is that on release Vanilla WoW was considered casual compared to stuff like EQ and Lineage. This is what made WoW so popular, it was first casual MMORPG.
    I didn;t put it up there, but I am assuming blizzard is going to tune it down some from actual classic. many disagree with this assumption, some with rational reasons, other cuz 'blue said,'....

10+ Year Old Account
    You vanilla clowns are Literally never satisfied are you?
    Wrath baby and proud of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Add in perma-death too. I mean why not?

Quote Originally Posted by hermansen View Post

Salty? Not very, more fed up and sarcastic than salty.

Why I'm here? Same reason as ever, can't play + not at my computer, running between things or killing time before running off somewhere.

"Muhnilla sucks"... Um, hell yes the "Muhnilla" crowd sucks, it's not like there's not a ton of evidence to that fact on every WoW forum since WoD...

My opinion has been noted? How nice... I guess? I'll keep doing me and you keep doing you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Also this^ How can the hardest game of all time get harder?
    RP walking. RP walking everywhere.

Although, I did see someone proclaim a while back that having to run for more levels than players entering later on, shaped the people playing in for example the World first race... Here I thought it was their drive to perform and get bosses down together. :d

- - - Updated - - -

Quoted for the truth, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post

Suggestions -

1) outdoor normal mobs become elite. tuned to have ?? 2x-3x health and general damage, so that a player alone 1v1, blowing all cooldowns, MIGHT kill one before dying. Assume what are now outdoor normal mobs are tuned for 3 player groups, 2 dps (1 could be a tank or not) and 1 healer. This would in effect make the 'hardcore' servers a group game in most leveling content. Adjust certain item-drop quests (8 bear heads etc) to not require 3x the kills on average.

Have you any idea how long it would take you to get to level 60 like this? I'd actually be amazed if a single player/group managed to complete this. Having played recently on a private server, people are usually happy to get the elite area's ticked off their list because they can really slow down gameplay. They very rarely go smoothly, people die don't get to loot a certain mob then have to wait for respawns, not everyone has all the quests, constant mana regen after a pack, someone has to go afk 5 mins increasing the chance of being caught by respawns, someone pull another group and wiped you.

Absurd idea.

No shortage of those nowadays.

There should be NO changes whatsoever.
    except for my changes!