Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Oh? Saying that models that predict maybe possibly perhaps what happens 50 years from now may be wrong is lying?

No it isnt.

That isn't what you originally said. So now you're moving goalposts, rather than stand by the egregious falsehood you originally stated, which was that we can't see if actual events line up with models until 50-200 years out. Which is false. Models don't start that far out, there's modelled progressions the whole way through.

50 years is 2067. Got any facts to state that the models you talk about are accurate and that this is what **will*** happen in 50 years?

Got any evidence? You have been to 2067?

No?

Then how can you state with any degree of certainty that the models are accurate or correct?

You cant. No one can.
    1> It's convenient that you're using "50 years" as your measure, because the oldest models are over 50 years old. And nailed warming trends pretty darned accurately. https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#3b4f89f36614

2> You're confusing "models" with "magical predictions", which just demonstrates that you don't have the slightest clue what models are, how they work, or what they're for. https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

The short answer is "they already predict warming since 1900 accurately, and the earliest models have borne out as time's gone on, so there's little reason to call their accuracy into question since all the evidence points to them being solid".

It's particularly silly since we know models make assumptions, such as how emissions patterns will change over the time they're modeling, and you have to put in actual emissions trends to the model rather than the assumed trends if you want to see how they track actual events. Until we can do that, they're models of possible warming trends, usually done with different ranges of conditions to give some idea of how changes in those conditions will change outcomes.

This is all really basic stuff.

Well what Id like you to do, is prove to me with evidence that what these models say is in any way shape or form correct.
    I already linked the IPCC report. I'll do it again, here; http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

That's the most comprehensive single collection of evidence you'll find. It isn't the sum total, though, just the high points. There's a lot more that they didn't bother detailing.

See Endus, thats the thing with this entire garbage...NOWHERE do I see the words "We could be wrong". That, btw is a fact. All these models, all these projections, could very well be 100% wrong.

Yes or no?

Be honest.
    Literally all science is based on that premise. It isn't a useful argument for contradicting anything. Literally all you're stating here is that scientific conclusions might be falsifiable, and that's a fundamental requirement for science to be "science", rather than bullshit someone's made up. Nobody brings this up because it's core to the entire concept of the scientific method itself, everyone knows this. It's taught in elementary school. How are you not aware of this?

Literally all science is based on that premise.
    Good.

Then you will understand my healthy skepticism on what I see as just another doomsday prediction with no real facts to back it up other than :"Oh we mean it this time"

Like yet another dud prediction:

The BOM report, that for first time since regular satellite images became available, that the 2015/16 cyclone season (the first cyclone season after Tim Flannery predicted the number of severe cyclones would increase) was only season not to record even a single severe tropical cyclone (minimum central pressure less than 970 hPa) in the Australian region.
    This btw is the same climate alarmist who said in 2007:

So even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams and our river systems...
    and here we are in 2017 and

Storage Capacity.(ML) Level
    Sydney Catchment 2,581,837 84.6%
    Blue Mountains 2,572,365 85.0%
    Warragamba 2,026,974 86.6%
    Avon 146,703 82.7%
    Oh dear.

Sorry Endus, the boy cried wolf once too often and we aint listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A few critical points;
    Whelp...we're fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good.

Then you will understand my healthy skepticism on what I see as just another doomsday prediction with no real facts to back it up other than :"Oh we mean it this time"
    1> There are no "doomsday predictions" being made.

2> You're flat-out refusing to look at the facts, because educating yourself as to the basics would mean having to admit that you've been so clearly wrong. Refusing to look at the facts doesn't make them vanish, it just means you're being willfully ignorant, out of malice.

Like yet another dud prediction:
    Oh, look, you still don't understand that "weather" and "climate" aren't synonyms. I linked a NASA page above that explained it, maybe that was too technical. Try this, I guess; http://www.weatherwizkids.com/weather-climate.htm

This btw is the same climate alarmist who said in 2007:

and here we are in 2017 and
    Right, Tim Flannery, who was the Chief Commissioner of Australia's Climate Commission, at the time. And you're dismissing him as some "alarmist" by flagrantly misrepresenting quotes out of context;
    https://indifferencegivesyouafright....er-fill-again/

You're back to straight-up lying, again. Why is that?

Out of context? Thats a reach even for you

His actual words:

PROFESSOR TIM FLANNERY: We're already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia, which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we're getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that's translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers. That's because the soil is warmer because of global warming and the plants are under more stress and therefore using more moisture. So even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams and our river systems, and that's a real worry for the people in the bush. If that trend continues then I think we're going to have serious problems, particularly for irrigation.
    in 2007

Over the past 50 years southern Australia has lost about 20 per cent of its rainfall, and one cause is almost certainly global warming. Similar losses have been experienced in eastern Australia, and although the science is less certain it is probable that global warming is behind these losses too. But by far the most dangerous trend is the decline in the flow of Australian rivers: it has fallen by around 70 per cent in recent decades, so dams no longer fill even when it does rain ...
    and here

Climate Commissioner Tim Flannery in 2005: “But since 1998 particularly, we’ve seen just drought, drought, drought, and particularly regions like Sydney and the Warragamba catchment – if you look at the Warragamba catchment figures, since ‘98, the water has been in virtual freefall, and they’ve got about two years of supply left, but something will need to change in order to see the catchment start accumulating water again…. So when the models start confirming what you’re observing on the ground, then there’s some fairly strong basis for believing that we’re understanding what’s causing these weather shifts and these rainfall declines, and they do seem to be of a permanent nature…
    Climate Commissioner Tim Flannery in 2005: “But since 1998 particularly, we’ve seen just drought, drought, drought, and particularly regions like Sydney and the Warragamba catchment – if you look at the Warragamba catchment figures, since ‘98, the water has been in virtual freefall, and they’ve got about two years of supply left, but something will need to change in order to see the catchment start accumulating water again…. So when the models start confirming what you’re observing on the ground, then there’s some fairly strong basis for believing that we’re understanding what’s causing these weather shifts and these rainfall declines, and they do seem to be of a permanent nature…
    No doomsday predictions? What do you call these?

Cities under water? Mass starvation? Mass evacuations? Twenty foot rising seas? War? Famine? More cyclones? More hurricanes? "We have reached the tipping point" - who said that again?

Refusing to look at the facts doesn't make them vanish, it just means you're being willfully ignorant, out of malice.
    Y'know Endus, you are of course way too young to remember any of this so Ill give you a primer:"

First it was

Atomic bombs will shatter the planet
    Then atomic bombs will kick us out of orbit and into the sun
    Then atomic bombs will kick us out of orbit and away from the sun
    Then it was the Saturn Conjunction, an alignment of planets that will cause massive earthquakes and destroy the world
    Before that it was syphilis

and then theres this

In 2005, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) warned that imminent sea-level rises, increased hurricanes, and desertification caused by “man-made global warming” would lead to massive population disruptions. In a handy map, the organization highlighted areas that were supposed to be particularly vulnerable in terms of producing “climate refugees.” Especially at risk were regions such as the Caribbean and low-lying Pacific islands, along with coastal areas.
    and this

For well over a decade now, climate alarmists have been claiming that snow would soon become a thing of the past. In March 2000, for example, “senior research scientist” David Viner, working at the time for the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia, told the U.K. Independent that within “a few years,” snowfall would become “a very rare and exciting event” in Britain. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he was quoted as claiming in the article, headlined “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past.
    All of these are "out of context" too? Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

One more

Separately, another prominent alarmist, Princeton professor and lead UN IPCC author Michael Oppenheimer, made some dramatic predictions in 1990 while working as “chief scientist” for the Environmental Defense Fund. By 1995, he said then, the “greenhouse effect” would be “desolating the heartlands of North America and Eurasia with horrific drought, causing crop failures and food riots.” By 1996, he added, the Platte River of Nebraska “would be dry, while a continent-wide black blizzard of prairie topsoil will stop traffic on interstates, strip paint from houses and shut down computers.” The situation would get so bad that “Mexican police will round up illegal American migrants surging into Mexico seeking work as field hands.”
    And that didnt happen either.....I mean I can go on and on and list one dud prediction after another, but you get my point.

I don't buy it, I don't believe it, I've heard it all before.
    Last edited by Aehl; 2017-11-23 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of context? Thats a reach even for you

His actual words:

in 2007

and here
    Right. Which explains how you were completely misrepresenting the context.

No doomsday predictions? What do you call these?

Cities under water? Mass starvation? Mass evacuations? Twenty foot rising seas? War? Famine? More cyclones? More hurricanes? "We have reached the tipping point" - who said that again?
    Those aren't "doomsday predictions". In some cases (mass evacuations, famines, hurricanes) they're demonstrably true, today. The others are long-term projections, of varying distances into the future. You're conflating them all into the same point on the timeline, and that is a lie.

Y'know Endus, you are of course way too young to remember any of this so Ill give you a primer:"

First it was

Atomic bombs will shatter the planet
    Then atomic bombs will kick us out of orbit and into the sun
    Then atomic bombs will kick us out of orbit and away from the sun
    Then it was the Saturn Conjunction, an alignment of planets that will cause massive earthquakes and destroy the world
    Before that it was syphilis
    No, we're talking about scientific theory. Your examples are not.

and then theres this

and this

All of these are "out of context" too? Nope.
    The latter is. He wasn't talking of the short term. I'll let the paper who originally conducted that interview you're quoting explain how it's wrong; http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-2180195.html

The former, though, is already false. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...and-180952279/

And that's without considering the aftermath of the hurricane season this year, which would arguably qualify as well.

One more

And that didnt happen either.....I mean I can go on and on and list one dud prediction after another, but you get my point.

I don't buy it, I don't believe it, I've heard it all before.
    An example he was hypothesizing as a possibility, and one which essentially came true in other regions anyway.

Like so many deniers, you're really bad at this. You keep blatantly misrepresenting people's words to try and fake out what they were actually saying. Because the truth won't support your baseless anti-science conspiracy theory.

Which is also why you keep citing out of context quotes, and not actual science and data, which I've made sure to reference. Because you know the facts are completely against you, so you're trying to shift the discussion to something other than the facts, in the hopes that nobody notices that chicanery.

Those aren't "doomsday predictions". In some cases (mass evacuations, famines, hurricanes) they're demonstrably true,
    Oh? Name me one. Name me one "mass evacuation" from any city due to "climate change catastrophes"

today. The others are long-term projections, of varying distances into the future. You're conflating them all into the same point on the timeline, and that is a lie.
    No the doomsday predictions are a lie...unless you can tell me which major city is underwater.

No, we're talking about scientific theory. Your examples are not.
    My examples are what I heard growing up. Lots of them. Im a cold War baby, mate...see, when I was growing up there were nuclear bombers roaming the world 24/7. Remember?

"God rest ye merry gentlemen whilst you lay safe in bed
    1000 tonnes of hydrogen are circling overhead
    We'll decimate the enemy
    And we will all be dead
    Oh tidings of comfort and joy..."

This was, of course decades before you were even born.

Which is also why you keep citing out of context quotes, and not actual science and data, which I've made sure to reference. Because you know the facts are completely against you, so you're trying to shift the discussion to something other than the facts, in the hopes that nobody notices that chicanery.
    I quoted HIS EXACT WORDS. Word for word.

Okay Endus heres a rock solid fact for you. There projections are theories and guesswork and unless someone can go to 2067 and tell us that they are accurate, I will treat them with a grain of salt the size of the Great Pyramid.

BTW heres a new one

http://www.news.com.au/technology/en...fc714a1b7cf0a6

However, climate scientists are warning the conditions in another of Australia’s capitals could get so bad it may become “not viable” to live there in decades to come.
    Note how they can say this but they cant be sure for several decades....

A combination of debilitating humidity and what’s known as the “urban heat island effect” mixed in with a good dose of climate change could leave Darwin off-limits to all but the hardiest.
    Or not. More panic mongering.

“If we can’t find a way to make our cities cooler, they will eventually become uninhabitable.”....But the result is the same — increasingly uninhabitable cities
    It's hot its climate change........
    Its cold its climate change..........
    Its raining its climate change.........
    It isn't raining its climate change.......

Righttt...........
    Last edited by Aehl; 2017-11-26 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    [IMG]http://jameswchenoweth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/pie-chart.jpg[/IG]

Oh noooooo, someone save the poor environment from these greenhouse gas emissions.
    Do you want to actually give a source for this image or should we all just assume you made it on your own?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

A lot of people here are just afraid of change and adaptation.

Yes but i'll be dead by the time this "Slow Appocalypse" actually turns into someting life threatening so...

I mean i'm not having children either...

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Why would you want to politicize science? Or don't you think scientists should be listened to? Oh, or are you one of those science deniers . . . .
    The real question is...
    Why would you quote someone from nearly six months ago and necro this thread my friend just so you could get the last word in a conversation?
    And you trolled him that...

Trolled the next person too...
    As seen here...
    Do you always disagree with scientists and instead opt for feels? Do you disagree with the temperature that water boils?
    And again here...
    Gotcha - then you disagree with the temperature that water boils. Check. Just making sure we all understand your feels over reals position.
    And again here...
    No, just want to make sure we're clear on your position. You're basically against scientific consensus. So, you literally disagree with scientists that water boils at a certain temperature.

The point here is that you make a ridiculous claim when your feels tell you to disagree about a scientific conclusion. The boiling water statement is to make that point crystal clear to you.
    And again here...
    It's only games if you don't understand science, which apparently you don't - and now think is a religion. Not really patting myself on the back so much as congratulating myself on confirming a science denier. Do you "believe" in gravity?
    And moving on to topic...
    It is a well known fact that the sea level is rising.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

then you disagree with the temperature that water boils.

Says no scientist, ever.
    Water boils does indeed boil at different temperatures my friend. You chose a poor analogy to be nasty with my friend. As you are incorrect in your presumption that water has a sigular boiling temperature. Unless you think all of the Earth is one altitude.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-11-26 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I can see and feel climate change around me over the past few decades.
    I don't think going about this by engaging subjective claims is likely to be helpful. The obvious retort is, "yeah, well I haven't" and then we're back to what I'd describe as an unhelpful square one.

I get how you can get frustrated and feel like, "FFS, do you not see this shit?" but the reality is that no, your interlocutors on the matter do not see or experience the world the same way as you. If they did, you probably wouldn't be arguing about the matter in the first place. You might think they're this guy:

But convincing people via saying, "it's hot, do you not notice the flames???" is probably not going to get them there.

Of course, I might be wrong and appeals to look around will actually work. There's probably work that's been done looking at what's effective in changing people's minds on climate, but my personal experience is that the answer is something like, "basically nothing".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Water boils does indeed boil at different temperatures my friend. You chose a poor analogy to be nasty with my friend. As you are incorrect in your presumption that water has a sigular boiling temperature. Unless you think all of the Earth is one altitude.
    You can also change the boiling point of water with one of these. I've also been known to change the melting temperature like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think going about this by engaging subjective claims is likely to be helpful. The obvious retort is, "yeah, well I haven't" and then we're back to what I'd describe as an unhelpful square one.

I get how you can get frustrated and feel like, "FFS, do you not see this shit?" but the reality is that no, your interlocutors on the matter do not see or experience the world the same way as you. If they did, you probably wouldn't be arguing about the matter in the first place. You might think they're this guy:

But convincing people via saying, "it's hot, do you not notice the flames???" is probably not going to get them there.

Of course, I might be wrong and appeals to look around will actually work. There's probably work that's been done looking at what's effective in changing people's minds on climate, but my personal experience is that the answer is something like, "basically nothing".

- - - Updated - - -

You can also change the boiling point of water with one of these. I've also been known to change the melting temperature like this.
    Atmospheric pressure changes with altitude. That is why boiling temperature changes my friend.
    That is why the temperature to boil water in Denver is lower than it is here in Houston.
    A real world scenario would be, it would take you longer to boil eggs in Denver compared to Houston.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-11-26 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Atmospheric pressure changes with altitude. That is why boiling temperature changes my friend.
    I know and was providing approachable examples of everyday life where the temperature for state changes are impacted by pressure and chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Mwah, even though I live in a country below sea level I simply can't worry about any of these findings.

It happens anyway, it is as it is. Decreasing the crap we blast into the atmosphere daily won't change this.
    We give ourselves too much "credit" in this global warming stuff. Also still waiting to see entire forests disappear due to acid rain from the 1980's.
    The absolute idiocy from armchair climatologists blows my mind. Fucking hate people like this, no joke.

You are factually wrong if you take into account actual scientists with actual data. No heating or cooling period has ever been as dramatic as this one, if you'd look at the facts. Self centered fucking assholes, all of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Nope. Just on this issue I think it's outside of our control.

You won't convince me otherwise, so, stop trying.
    Ah, so you refuse facts and cover your ears because you're ignorant? Just admit that fact, because thats what you're saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    A lot of people here are just afraid of change and adaptation.
    A lot of people here are afraid of facts and education. They just plug their ears and ignore literally every single scrap of evidence and scream and try to claim that all climate scientists are somehow paid off or politically motivated (Which makes no fucking sense, how is trying to save the earth from a horrible cataclysm politically motivated). They let newscasters and oil companies do the thinking for them, They'd rather be under educated and ignorant than Educated and worried.

I'm sure I'll get infracted for saying it, but somehow has to tell these idiots real facts instead of the ones spoonfed by Fox.

Great time to invest into a boat house...!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh? Name me one. Name me one "mass evacuation" from any city due to "climate change catastrophes"
    Temporarily? The recent hurricane damage can be tied in to that. Permanently? I already linked you to officially-recognized climate refugees.

No the doomsday predictions are a lie...unless you can tell me which major city is underwater.
    Permanently underwater? I don't think you understand how sea level works. There's things called "tides". You're reacting against a "prediction" no scientist made (and likely nobody at all).

Temporarily? Miami is increasingly facing flooding. And see the above hurricane disasters.

My examples are what I heard growing up. Lots of them. Im a cold War baby, mate...see, when I was growing up there were nuclear bombers roaming the world 24/7. Remember?

We'll decimate the enemy
    And we will all be dead

I really don't even understand what you think you're communicating here, because really, all you're expressing is your own internal bias and subjective feels. Those don't trump the actual facts, much as that annoys you.

Do you not understand what "out of context" means? The surrounding words and discussion is the "context". You're excluding that, and in the process deliberately and dishonestly misrepresenting what was said. I don't think you actually looked at the original source, you're just repeating the lies some propagandist fed to you. So it's less you being dishonest, and more those who lied to you, you were just not bothering to think about what you were being told.

Okay Endus heres a rock solid fact for you. There projections are theories and guesswork and unless someone can go to 2067 and tell us that they are accurate, I will treat them with a grain of salt the size of the Great Pyramid.
    That's not a "fact". That's an unreasonable argument based on two individually indefensible positions;

1> That models only project forward, and only start today, and only start making predictions 50+ years from now (all three of which are flat-out wrong), and
    2> That models are meant to be psychic visions of the future, rather than models that project outcomes based on certain assumptions, assumptions that may not hold true (by design). For instance, the same model may be used to project what happens if we continue with emissions patterns as they are, unabated, how it looks if we cut them down as the Paris Agreement attempts to achieve, and how it looks if we cut them to 0 immediately. The goal there is to develop a range to understand how changing that variable (emissions patterns) affects the overall outcome, it is not meant to be a psychic vision of the future, and the more extreme models are not "wrong".

BTW heres a new one

Only to someone who doesn't understand what they're reading. They're entirely correct.

Righttt...........
    Again, this just demonstrates that you don't understand the difference between local weather, regional climate, and global climate. These are basic terms, and I've already linked you to plenty of resources for you to understand this stuff. There's really no excuse for keeping your fingers jammed in your ears.

We'll decimate the enemy
    And we will all be dead

BTW heres a new one

Righttt...........
    Wasting your energy my friend. Better bow out gracefully while you can.

Wasting your energy my friend. Better bow out gracefully while you can.
    Yeah, you are probably right. No arguing with a closed mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post

A lot of people here are afraid of facts and education. They just plug their ears and ignore literally every single scrap of evidence and scream and try to claim that all climate scientists are somehow paid off or politically motivated (Which makes no fucking sense, how is trying to save the earth from a horrible cataclysm politically motivated). They let newscasters and oil companies do the thinking for them, They'd rather be under educated and ignorant than Educated and worried.

I'm sure I'll get infracted for saying it, but somehow has to tell these idiots real facts instead of the ones spoonfed by Fox.
    It's an understandable reaction to have. It's just you're not much more wise than they are - your whole motivation on the issue is reactionary and anti-change in nature.