Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Legion messed up the entire Warcraft universe

I just saw the ending cinematic of Antorus. It's amazing how little I care about anything happening here.

In my opinion they completely destroyed the entire Warcraft story with Legion. They rushed through a lot of major villains and other characters like the titans without much buildup. Nothing feels like it matters anymore. We see Sargeras and I don't feel anything.

Just look at what this expansion did in just about a year:
    - They wasted the Emerald Nightmare as an entry raid. Ursoc gone, Xavius gone.
    - Gul'dan gone in the same tier.
    - Helya introduced and thrown away in a half-tier.
    - Kil'jaeden gone.
    - Aggramar used as a pre-final boss.
    - Other titans shown all at once and then just put away again.
    - Argus is done with (the planet as well as the guy).
    - Sargeras introduced and locked away in the same cutscene. Only thing he says is 'no'.
    - Illidan re-introduced and then put away again.
    - A lot of other major lore characters, important weapons (artifacts) used outside of raids and pretty much thrown away.

I'm really sorry, but this is too much. Far too much.
    In the last expansion it all led up to Archimonde. And now here we are throwing away major lore characters left and right - and that's not even enough. We need to introduce new ones like Argus and then throw them away as well. And all of that on top of throwing away a whole arsenal of legendary weapons that had major lore significance.

It's like they threw everything into this that once had a name in the Warcraft universe. And for what? Now everything feels irrelevant. It's like our characters are plowing through the entirety of Warcraft history and just burning everything to the ground.

Legion had enough lore for 5 expansions, as far as I see it. But instead they chose to rush through everything and throw away most of what many players know about Warcraft. Good job.

Have you seen the complaints of people who get bored after one patch with the same aesthetics? Five expansions of fel-green Demons would drive them to suicide.

There's still plenty of Warcraft in Warcraft. Sure, the Legion got steamrolled pretty quickly (even saying that, we've fought them on and off for 15+ years) but this paves the way for a newer variety of villains.

All of these listed things are good, though.

This guy must not know about Plot, and Fan Reactions. If we had more Legion Expansions, then people would complain more about Green.

And if people saw Sargeras himself, and fought em, then that alone would take Expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I like every piece of Lore they did with Legion, so...yeah.

7+ Year Old Account
    apparently, ending story chapters is bad.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    If anything, Legion moved the plot, more than other expansion did. The Burning Crusade is finally done, we can now look to other/new parts of the lore.

I think that, with Battle for Azeroth reveal, Blizzard is trying to refresh the current state of WoW which is: Azeroth vs A-Threat-who-wants-to-destroy-Azeroth.

For me its pretty clear a kind of reset in everything. They went back to "Orcs vs Human" state. Before all the knowledgement of a bigger threat. This can help estabilish new characters development on each faction, new power-driven characters who will seek vengeance or power in Azeroth's wound or something. I think this is a chance that Blizzard has to develop more characters and give them space putting some of the recycled characters in the stand by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Burning legion, titans and Illidan story is wrapped up and over.

Time for Void to step in as the "all great threat"

Sargeras has been in the Warcraft universe for too long and his time has come.

I for once welcome the change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoloid View Post
    Have you seen the complaints of people who get bored after one patch with the same aesthetics? Five expansions of fel-green Demons would drive them to suicide.

There's still plenty of Warcraft in Warcraft. Sure, the Legion got steamrolled pretty quickly (even saying that, we've fought them on and off for 15+ years) but this paves the way for a newer variety of villains.
    Maybe not suicide, but after 14 months of SoO the orcs orcs orcs of WoD made me quit.

TBH it feels like they want to just reset the whole setting - now we're back at square one, HvA, exploration, with strong Old God hints. Can they ever deliver characters and stories we'll give a fuck about the same way we ("we" as "fanbase at large ofc") cared for Illidan, Sargeras and the Titans, Gul'Dan... eehhhh, maybe? Probably not. But kudos for trying, I guess?

They NEED BfA to set up some new lore and long game goals/villains, because if we end up killing N'Zoth and Azshara without new themes and enemies showing up, we'll be really just left with nothing... just slaughtering each other in Warsong Gulch till the end of time, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really not a fan of dealing with Titans at all. The closest we should have come to Sargeras was closing a portal on him, again, and killing Kil'jaeden for good. Decapitating the other half of the Eredar command structure could have been satisfactorily written as throwing the Legion into disarray and causing internal rebellion, weakening their grip on the universe, and preventing any concentrated Legion effort on Azeroth for the foreseeable future. The threat-scale in Legion was just way too grand for me to actually care about anything.

Aside from that though, they've burned far too many story threads. Emerald Nightmare, for example, could have easily carried at least the first half of an expansion. Class Halls are pretty guilty of this, too (Neptulon, Kolitra, etc.). Class Halls also sucked away development from characters. Darion Mograine? Nah, we're going to waste development time on the PC Deathlord! Considering how little development was going on elsewhere, our status as class order leaders sucking away the spotlight from canon characters was a crime.

Well, we all knew it was going to be the fan service expansion. Fighting the characters that are the very foundation of the Warcraft universe with sparkly, legendary weapons isn't a substitute for good gameplay or storytelling though. Many people have pointed out that going back to "killing boars" will feel silly at this point and they're absolutely right (even though that holds true for most expansions). At this point Blizzard just baits the last remaining people who are still passionate about the Warcraft lore with bigger and bigger events, revolving around a shrinking group of lore characters (there aren't many left to be honest) and the universe keeps feeling smaller and smaller and more importantly: empty.

It's a shame really. Looking back at Wc3 I really wonder what went wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I just saw the ending cinematic of Antorus. It's amazing how little I care about anything happening here.

In my opinion they completely destroyed the entire Warcraft story with Legion. They rushed through a lot of major villains and other characters like the titans without much buildup. Nothing feels like it matters anymore. We see Sargeras and I don't feel anything.

Just look at what this expansion did in just about a year:
    - They wasted the Emerald Nightmare as an entry raid. Ursoc gone, Xavius gone.
    - Gul'dan gone in the same tier.
    - Helya introduced and thrown away in a half-tier.
    - Kil'jaeden gone.
    - Aggramar used as a pre-final boss.
    - Other titans shown all at once and then just put away again.
    - Argus is done with (the planet as well as the guy).
    - Sargeras introduced and locked away in the same cutscene. Only thing he says is 'no'.
    - Illidan re-introduced and then put away again.
    - A lot of other major lore characters, important weapons (artifacts) used outside of raids and pretty much thrown away.

I'm really sorry, but this is too much. Far too much.
    In the last expansion it all led up to Archimonde. And now here we are throwing away major lore characters left and right - and that's not even enough. We need to introduce new ones like Argus and then throw them away as well. And all of that on top of throwing away a whole arsenal of legendary weapons that had major lore significance.

It's like they threw everything into this that once had a name in the Warcraft universe. And for what? Now everything feels irrelevant. It's like our characters are plowing through the entirety of Warcraft history and just burning everything to the ground.

Legion had enough lore for 5 expansions, as far as I see it. But instead they chose to rush through everything and throw away most of what many players know about Warcraft. Good job.
    You make some great points.

I suppose I stopped taking Blizz writing seriously years ago. They suck at making any kind of cohesive story and you honestly have to detach to play WoW to a degree.
    I just play the game and love the game play. I smh on their piss poor plots. My god look what they did to Thrall and the whole warchief succession. There is a reason they brought Christie Golden on the WoW team...Blizz can't fucking write.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Ending any story is gonna suck in some way, because some people don't want that chapter closed.
    This. I gotta admit I'm going to miss having the Legion around but while the chapter itself is closed the way they closed it means they can reopen it in years to come if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    There is a reason they brought Christie Golden on the WoW team...Blizz can't fucking write.
    Christie Golden is a terrible writer though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    There is a reason they brought Christie Golden on the WoW team...Blizz can't fucking write.
    The sad thing is, she can't write either.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead and Warcraft died with him" all over again.

*Sargeras

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Please enlighten us as to why this is your opinion, if it is indeed yours and you're not just saying that because you read it somewhere.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    The sad thing is, she can't write either.
    At least she's better at developing a character that makes actual logical sense, unlike Metzen and Knaak(?) who just focus on 1 or 2 way OP characters and there really isn't any reasoning behind most character actions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Still better than Metzen...
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    Please enlighten us as to why this is your opinion, if it is indeed yours and you're not just saying that because you read it somewhere.
    Since I already wrote about this a while ago, I'll just quote myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Golden can't fumble her way through a novel without:
    -Using phrases and/or colloquialisms that make no sense outside of Western cultural contexts. (The new book features the phrase "holly jolly Goblin." Are you fucking kidding me?)
    -Treating the audience like children and providing an unnecessary recap of previous events in a jarring manner, typically during dialogue or in a scene ("Not ... reservations." His face, still that of a dead man but better preserved due to an elaborate ritual she had ordered performed, twisted in a smile. "This ... disagree.")
    -Overt, and unnecessary references to in-game events and people in an attempt to cultivate an authentic Azerothian culture ("War Crimes" has Garrosh specifically compare something to the Darkmoon Faire.)

I could go on, but those are among the biggest offenders. If you genuinely believe that Golden is a good author you need to read more. The quality of her work really isn't even debatable. You, personally, might enjoy them, but that doesn't mean they're well done. I enjoy McDonald's, that doesn't make the pimpled frycook a Michelin Star chef.
    tl;dr: Golden is a pretty bad writer.

Deleted
    I for one am so fucking glad we can actually consider this a finished chapter.

Ever since Wrath (arguably Cata), the story's been stuck. Hell, even for the majority of Legion itself they went through more recycling with the likes of Gul'dan and Kil'jaeden.
    For the first time in 9 years, the plot's moved forward. Sargeras and Illidan are still out there, waiting to be used as plot devices in the future.

The majority of your complaints are dumb and just whining for the sake of whining.

As for WoD leading up to Archimonde: bullshit. Utter nonsense. It was a rushed, butchered story that was dumb from the start.

WoW's story for the majority has been a mediocre retconned mess, but at last we have an expansion plot to look back at with some fucking decency.