Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What games can you suggest to get away from WoW?

As title says "What games can you suggest to get away from WoW?", many of us have spent way to many hours on this mmo, but it is obviously a need/void we have to fill, i don't get a lot of time to investigate other games and i think i play wow due to the familiarity as it never changes. Any decent suggestions out there of sword&sorcery games that aren't as frustrating/never balanced to keep people playing/just what they advertise to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    As title says "What games can you suggest to get away from WoW?", many of us have spent way to many hours on this mmo, but it is obviously a need/void we have to fill, i don't get a lot of time to investigate other games and i think i play wow due to the familiarity as it never changes. Any decent suggestions out there of sword&sorcery games that aren't as frustrating/never balanced to keep people playing/just what they advertise to be?
    Final fantasy xiv honestly. It is alot like wrath era wow in how loot works and defibintely better balanced.

Plus regularly updated(ok super tired just give it a while free trial till 35 or so on all classes)

I am a big fan of Path of Exile, it's free and can soak up thousands of hours. That's cost effeciancy if I've ever seen it.

csgo if you like competive games and FPS

spend more then 4000 hours on that game..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Final fantasy xiv honestly. It is alot like wrath era wow in how loot works and defibintely better balanced.

Plus regularly updated(ok super tired just give it a while free trial till 35 or so on all classes)
    This, IF you can stand the very slow combat... 2.5 second global cooldown can be very un-fun for some people... Well designed game outside of that.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    This, IF you can stand the very slow combat... 2.5 second global cooldown can be very un-fun for some people... Well designed game outside of that.
    Does speed up later on too

10+ Year Old Account
    Does speed up later on too
    Barely. People always say the off GCD things help a lot but there honestly aren't anywhere near enough of them to make it feel better.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is good for logging in, doing an hour or two and fucking off. I play it for like a week or so every 6 months to a year and it's great for that week.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Barely. People always say the off GCD things help a lot but there honestly aren't anywhere near enough of them to make it feel better.
    Guess it depend on class/what you are used too then

Deleted
    There is absolutely no game suitable to get away from wow, not even among other MMOs.
    The only way of leaving WOW behind is having a problem with MMOs in general, they have all of them quite a collection of drawbacks, but other than for that reason, you will not get away from WOW, specially not trying to find a substitute that does not exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Any decent suggestions out there of sword&sorcery games that aren't as frustrating/never balanced
    There is no balance in RPGs, MMOs or single players, there is always a class/skill that is better, it is a problem that comes with the genre itself.

Deleted
    If you like an oldschool RPG, you should give Divinity Original Sin 2 a chance. Really in love with the game.

Path of exile is my main game right now, with smash 4, battlechasers nightwar, and w/e the 300th survival zombie shooter is called my friends play on the side.
    Wow shit the bed a while ago, and try not to play just one game or one genre all the time, switch it up, find something new ya like.

I split my obsessions between playing wow, diablo 3, supreme commander forged alliance, and madden football. I am always looking for bargains on steam and god. I also love stardew valley and skyrim. I recently bought divinity 2 for 1.99$ on steam. Seems pretty good. It is kind of like wow but it is a single player game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dender View Post
    If you like an oldschool RPG, you should give Divinity Original Sin 2 a chance. Really in love with the game.
    This game really looks great. Going to wait for it to go on sale though!
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2017-12-05 at 08:55 PM.

It took it a while to warm to me, but Final Fantasy 14 has effectively replaced WoW as my MMO timesink of choice. It's far from perfect, and there are design elements in WoW that are still better (imo), but as a whole package, I prefer FF14 at this point.

If you'd prefer to not have a second sub fee for another MMO, I'd recommend giving Guild Wars 2 a look. The base game alone has a few hundred hours worth of things to do at minimum.

I would give Elder Scrolls Online a nod were I able to actually run the damn thing without it crashing the moment it tries to load. It's definitely not due to a lack of hardware horsepower, either. Not sure why that game doesn't get along with my PC.

If you just want to kill shit, Diablo 3 is good for some pick up and play fun. Don't expect thousands of hours of gameplay out of it at this point, though; you'll level up and gear up fairly quick.

Well, if you are into mmos, FFXIV, GW2, Wildstar
    If you just want something new, try an rpg you haven't played. Skyrim, Tales games, Kingdoms of Amalur. Some of my favorites.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

I find the combat at endgame harder than WoW. Especially if you raid, DPS is so important in this game I can't even express it. Healers get yelled at for not DPSing, too. Go watch an Exdeath guide, it's 20 minutes long and he skips half the fight by saying "Okay for the next 50% he'll repeat mechanics you've already seen".

Ninja and Monk have the low GCD (2 seconds), and Summoner and Machinist are extremely button mashy. Go watch a video of someone doing a Machinist opener. I spent about an hour practicing today and I still can't do it perfect. I have never had to spend more than 10 minutes learning a rotation on WoW.

The battle system is slow until about 30 then picks up little by little from there. The game itself is extremely slow until 15, which is when the world begins to open up.

The thing I appreciate the most about the game though is the main story. I haven't even really played another MMO that has had one akin to a single player game. I will say it's good, but again, it's god awful until the mid 40s.

This is all just IMO of course, having played both games extensively.

Final fantasy xiv honestly.
    My one and only gripe with XIV is in the leveling experience of alternate jobs after reaching max level with your main job. The content available for leveling your other jobs (if you decide to do so on your main character) is some of the most mind-numbingly grindy stuff in current gen AAA MMOs. And if you decide to roll an entirely new character for a different job, be prepared to replay through an incredibly long story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly first and only thing that comes to mind is Witcher 3. That game has been my GOTY for the 2 years it's been out. If you want an immersive fantasy RPG type game that'd be the game to get. I have over 200 hours invested in that game and I plan to go back and play through it again on game+.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    There is absolutely no game suitable to get away from wow, not even among other MMOs.
    The only way of leaving WOW behind is having a problem with MMOs in general, they have all of them quite a collection of drawbacks, but other than for that reason, you will not get away from WOW, specially not trying to find a substitute that does not exist.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no balance in RPGs, MMOs or single players, there is always a class/skill that is better, it is a problem that comes with the genre itself.
    This 100%. There is no game you will find to fill your WoW void, unless you switch genres as your main liking. I have tried pretty much every MMO out there, and honestly the only thing it ends up doing is making me realize just how much better WoW is than any other thing in its genre.

Final Fantasy has very nice aesthetics, but the combat is Slow and feels very unpolished when compared to WoW. Also, Final Fantasy requires a loading screen for every new zone you go into. This not only slows you down, but really makes the world feel disconnected. WoW's world has always felt huge, living and connected because that is exactly what it is.

There is a reason WoW is still able to stay successful as a sub based game in the day and age where every game is going to the micro-transaction garbage. Which is also another selling point for me when it comes to WOW vs any thing else out there.

I hope you can find something to fill your void, but I doubt you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I find the combat at endgame harder than WoW. Especially if you raid, DPS is so important in this game I can't even express it. Healers get yelled at for not DPSing, too. Go watch an Exdeath guide, it's 20 minutes long and he skips half the fight by saying "Okay for the next 50% he'll repeat mechanics you've already seen".

Ninja and Monk have the low GCD (2 seconds), and Summoner and Machinist are extremely button mashy. Go watch a video of someone doing a Machinist opener. I spent about an hour practicing today and I still can't do it perfect. I have never had to spend more than 10 minutes learning a rotation on WoW.
    and in spite of all that, when you are used to 1.0s or lower GCDs, it still feels like you're waiting forever between button presses.

The thing I appreciate the most about the game though is the main story. I haven't even really played another MMO that has had one akin to a single player game.
    ESO.