Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    Doesn't mean you can't get access to platforms that do have it, or rent/buy the box set. Revenue can be generated in several places nowadays, it's very silly to pretend otherwise. You probably shop in several places or look round at prices... those are different platforms, but I have Tesco here for buying a Christmas Tree in England... doesn't mean someone can't get a Christmas Tree in America at Costco.
    But it is still not exactly the same, in my opinion. The film restricted in one specific country means there are no other platforms you can acquire it from.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    OK. So... go ahead and get actors and cameras and recreate your favorite TV shows. Or buy a guitar and some drums and learn to play them and sing well and record your favorite pop hits... Oh.. I guess your analogy was terrible. Oops.
    The analogy was perfect, you just didn't read it in full. The difficulty of copying is irrelevant to an act of copying being copying.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    For something as complex and intricate as copyright law your comparisons aren't really relevant or relatable to subject. Regardless, there is no way for me to respond as your post isn't really discussing the same topic, you've moved the goalposts to a different part of the field and used my post to fire up the engine on a new topic.
    Yes because the art isn't a main part of the game or the visuals of a game. Using it without permission is theft. Black and white definition.

Way to dodge any evidence that your stance might be wrong on the matter. I didn't move the goalpost I added more facts to the pot that you don't agree with. Tough tiddlywinks.

Edit:

You can own a "rom" for 24 hours without it being illegal-after that it is illegal to own said rom.
    Last edited by RayenDark; 2017-12-07 at 08:08 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The analogy was perfect, you just didn't read it in full. The difficulty of copying is irrelevant to an act of copying being copying.
    Except with digital media, the creators own the content of the file/disc. You've merely been given permission to posses the copy that you purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Except with digital media, the creators own the content of the file/disc. You've merely been given permission to posses the copy that you purchase.
    BMW owns all the DESIGNS and copies they sell.

And if I only buy a permission to use a copy, and not the actual content, then it is impossible to steal it.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    BMW owns all the DESIGNS and copies they sell.

And if I only buy a permission to use a copy, and not the actual content, then it is impossible to steal it.
    Stealing is the act of willfully coming into possession of someone else's property without their permission. The content is the property of the creator. If you make a copy of that content without permission, you're now in possession of someone else's property without permission. It's really not that difficult of a concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stealing is the act of willfully coming into possession of someone else's property without their permission. The content is the property of the creator. If you make a copy of that content without permission, you're now in possession of someone else's property without permission. It's really not that difficult of a concept.
    The content is the property, a copy is not. It's a copyright. It's really not that difficult, I agree.

7+ Year Old Account
    The content is the property, a copy is not. It's a copyright. It's really not that difficult, I agree.
    The content is the property. That means if you buy a DVD, the DVD is yours. The right to view the content of that DVD is yours. The content of the DVD still belongs to its creators. If you make a copy of that DVD, that content, too, belongs to its creators. If you make a copy of that content without permission, you've "stolen" it.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Even if there was, I wasn't going to ever spend money on it anyway. So the company still loses nothing, because my potential money spent on their product goes from 0 to 0.
    It's easy to say you weren't going to spend money on it anyway. But you did get to enjoy something for free, and it wasn't free to produce.

Stealing is not an adequate word really. The most accurate definition is something like copyright infringement, but in practice it's more like getting a loan free of interest. If the company who made the game/show/etc. doesn't make money out of that transaction, then why would they just let you use it? If you take their property without their consent you're clearly doing something they don't want. But copyright infringement is not a strong word, so they say it's stealing to try to mak a stronger case.

I'm poor.
    I pirate a lot of stuff.
    99.9999999% of I would not have bought with money if that was the only option.
    Companies lose nothing to my piracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The content is the property. That means if you buy a DVD, the DVD is yours. The right to view the content of that DVD is yours. The content of the DVD still belongs to its creators. If you make a copy of that DVD, that content, too, belongs to its creators. If you make a copy of that content without permission, you've "stolen" it.
    Your logic is faulty. Because content of the DVD is not the content that creators created. It's a copy. The content itself is safely stored wherever they are keeping it. And later they will release special editions of it. Copies as well obviously. They don't sell their content. They sell a license to use a copy of it.

Do you know what a sale of content is? They give you the originals and you pay them for it, and by originals I don't mean a master copy, I mean all the materials they used to create the master copy. Raw stuff. That's a sale of content. It costs a lot.

That's why piracy is a copyright infringement and not theft.

Peace the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    It's easy to say you weren't going to spend money on it anyway. But you did get to enjoy something for free, and it wasn't free to produce.

Stealing is not an adequate word really. The most accurate definition is something like copyright infringement, but in practice it's more like getting a loan free of interest. If the company who made the game/show/etc. doesn't make money out of that transaction, then why would they just let you use it? If you take their property without their consent you're clearly doing something they don't want. But copyright infringement is not a strong word, so they say it's stealing to try to mak a stronger case.
    And plenty people who want to own it ( including the torrent uploader ) paid for it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Ad hominem something something ad hominem...All I read here is justification for laws without understanding their philosophical or historical importance.
    The laws are what they are. They were created by the duly elected representatives of the people. Don't like the laws? Elect representatives that share your beliefs and have the laws changed. Or move to a country where pirating is not a crime. In the US, your behavior/attitude makes you a moocher and a thief.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by RayenDark View Post
    Yes because the art isn't a main part of the game or the visuals of a game. Using it without permission is theft. Black and white definition.

Way to dodge any evidence that your stance might be wrong on the matter. I didn't move the goalpost I added more facts to the pot that you don't agree with. Tough tiddlywinks.

Edit:

You can own a "rom" for 24 hours without it being illegal-after that it is illegal to own said rom.
    You werent even replying to the discussion, you came up with your own topic out of my post. That's why I'm dodging, I have no reason to argue a point I wasn't making just because you decided you wanted to talk about it.

Edit : and while we're here I will address your edit, that is a meme that has no grounding in reality, let alone any relevance in the topic.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-12-07 at 09:09 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

7+ Year Old Account
    Your logic is faulty. Because content of the DVD is not the content that creators created. It's a copy. The content itself is safely stored wherever they are keeping it. And later they will release special editions of it. Copies as well obviously. They don't sell their content. They sell a license to use a copy of it.

Do you know what a sale of content is? They give you the originals and you pay them for it, and by originals I don't mean a master copy, I mean all the materials they used to create the master copy. Raw stuff. That's a sale of content. It costs a lot.

Peace the fuck out.
    I'm not sure you understand what "content" means in this context. It refers to the the entirety of a creation and includes any "copies". If I make a digital image, that image is my content and my property. If I make 10 copies, those copies are the same content and thus, my property. If you make 10 copies, those copies are also the same content and thus, still my property. Whether or not you "stole" them is not determined by them being copies but by whether or not I gave you permission to make copies.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    And plenty people who want to own it ( including the torrent uploader ) paid for it.
    You realize that one purchase can be copied infinitely, right? If one person buys it and 1 million people torrent it, your point is moot.

10+ Year Old Account

Peace the fuck out.
    This is how I justify an illegal act.
    It is not stealing it is copyright infringement nanana neener neener.

You used something not yours.
    It is stealing.

15+ Year Old Account
    What is odd about this whole "piracy" BS is that boom boxes with 2 tape cassette players and only one has record, never had self righteous moralists crying about their corporate masters lost profits. Everybody dubbed, not only cassettes but VHS tapes as well. Kodak and others made a fortune! Now, that corporate greed has grown to insane levels and they continue to squeeze the nickel till the buffalo shits to increase flat stock prices, they are brainwashing ignorant people to feel sorry for them.

In every circumstance I see some tool who hides behind false morality bash who their overlords call a pirate, it is because they are not tech savvy enough to torrent/share/backup themselves.

The ENTIRE reason piracy is a thing is because the greedy ass industry cannot evolve into a customer friendly service since none of them can agree to share or work together. They all want some form of control and specific cut of profits. In the end the customer is left with old tech and inconvenience!
    People who still use blu-ray discs LOL! With the cost of storage and ever increasing bandwidths, there is no damn excuse in physical discs. Except for greed, keeping "honest" people "honest" because the industry fails to diversify.

Whatever, I'm gonna keep on evolving. Call me a pirate if you like "Yo Ho Yo Ho!

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
    We pillage plunder, we rifle and loot.
    Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.
    We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.

We extort and pilfer, we filch and sack.
    Maraud and embezzle and even highjack.

We kindle and char and in flame and ignite.
    We burn up the city, we're really a fright.

We're rascals and scoundrels, we're villians and knaves.
    We're devils and black sheep, we're really bad eggs.

We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do-well cads,
    Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads,
    Last edited by Animalhouse; 2017-12-07 at 10:42 PM. Reason: had a comma where there shouldn't of been...probably other errors but w/e
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

The piracy is stealing. Same as not paying for movie ticket when going to cinema.
    I will not discuss prices or how much cash Hollywood actually gobles in, but the technicality of it.
    Pirate, but don't shout around how big hero you are, it is so childish and no, you are not a hero and no, you are not showing "big evil corporations" a thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    The piracy is stealing. Same as not paying for movie ticket when going to cinema.
    I will not discuss prices or how much cash Hollywood actually gobles in, but the technicality of it.
    Pirate, but don't shout around how big hero you are, it is so childish and no, you are not a hero and no, you are not showing "big evil corporations" a thing.
    Not sure if your are directing that at me but I NEVER claimed to be a hero.

I am saying I give ZERO fucks for your false morality.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”