Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

How do you feel about bad dreams?

They are terrible. So happy when I wake up.

What do you dream about in these bad dreams?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I dreamt I fucked up my big brother's business...there was jail time and stuff...woke up and I swear to god I let out a huge breath of relief. dreams are scary real some times.

Can't have bad dreams if you don't dream at all.

Bad dreams are usually memories of bad shit I've done. So no, not a fan.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like their is a part of my subconscious that is trying to tell me something, or warn me of something that I am seeing in my waking life, but I ignore despite being able to see problems.

I am one of the many people who actually don't dream at all at night or hardly ever, rather I do, but nothing that alarms me or excites me in anyway.

Sometimes this can be do to trauma, or someone who basically in a lot of denial and has a great ability to bury their memories to protect themselves for a while, for others, they don't get enough restful sleep at all.

Mine I know where my bad dreams come from, I deal with them in the rare event I have one and that's it.

Now if it's a good dream, generally if i remember it, that is my sub conscious again telling me fuck whatever we are actually doing, this is what I want.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I love them. Then again, i live for all things horror, so a nightmare to me is entertainment.

Well, I have PTSD so mine are pretty intense and realistic. Thankfully they're increasingly rare as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    I love them. Then again, i live for all things horror, so a nightmare to me is entertainment.
    Same. I don't remember the last time I had a dream I'd personally consider bad. They're all adventures.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I feel like their is a part of my subconscious that is trying to tell me something, or warn me of something that I am seeing in my waking life, but I ignore despite being able to see problems.
    All dreams you have is yourself talking to yourself. It's how your brain processes information behind your conscious thought.

Anyway, all dreams are bad. That's how I know it's about time for me to wake up. In some perverse logic, I could say that sleep is the worst because it makes morning come.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I love dreams. Good and bad. It's always an interesting ride.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    All dreams you have is yourself talking to yourself. It's how your brain processes information behind your conscious thought.

Anyway, all dreams are bad. That's how I know it's about time for me to wake up. In some perverse logic, I could say that sleep is the worst because it makes morning come.
    I spend my mental always trying to be honest with non more than myself. Not too optimistic or pessimistic. But I have blind spots we all do. That is where nightmares lurk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Well, I have PTSD so mine are pretty intense and realistic. Thankfully they're increasingly rare as time goes on.
    If you deal with it you will heal and get better if you don’t your mind will break. And will be trapped.

I don't really feel like I meet the clinical definition of PTSD but I do sometimes have dreams about my family and experiences growing up, they are very vivid and bad. They are more like recollections than dreams, I get an "oh yeah" sense of remembering right after I wake up (usually the dreams are bad enough that I wake up). I forget about the content of the dreams usually within an hour or so.

I used to think that Freud was a nutjob and the idea of a subconscious/unconscious and repressed memories to be a bunch of phooey without scientific merit, but after having several of these dreams at this point I definitely think that our brain tries to repress things that our painful to us, out of a sense of self-preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I spend my mental always trying to be honest with non more than myself. Not too optimistic or pessimistic. But I have blind spots we all do. That is where nightmares lurk.
    I guess I've only had one nightmare in my life, and I was 5 or 6 at the time. It somehow involved me sleeping on a grand piano in a vampire's house. Kids, what won't they think of.

When I have less-than-pleasant dreams as an adult, I may wake up disturbed, but my thoughts will be something like, "what was that about?" and it's always some twisted reflection of actual things going on in my life.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Depends. How are you defining what a bad dream is? Scary dreams are meh. They are quite rare and only cause momentary anxiety, then typically drift into nonsense as I realize it's a dream and wake soon after. No lasting impact.

Sometimes I dream about being abandoned, or berated and abused by someone I love. I wonder what I did wrong, feeling helpless and betrayed. I awake feeling incredibly sad, and completely alone. It can take days to shake that feeling.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Bad things are often bad.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I very rarely have any bad dreams. And if I do, I wake up and resolve them quickly in my head. Or dismiss them as a nightmare and forget about it.

This may be considered by some to be off topic, but it does have something to do with a bad dream, so maybe not.

My wife work up one night crying and was very upset. I asked what was wrong and she said, I keep seeing my brother on a operating table with a white sheet over his body except his head. I comforted her and told her it was nothing but a bad dream and not to worry about it.

Next morning we got up and everything was normal. Much later in the day we got a message from her mom that her brother was in the hospital and had under gone surgery for a ruptured appendix. The time he had his surgery was......the same time she saw him in her dream on a operating table.

We have nightmares or bad dreams, to prepare our psyche for when something bad happens in real life.
    So we get them not only based on memories, but on fears and realistic possibilities.

I feel like people have bad dreams when they have negative emotions that they have not completely dealt with when they were awake. Abuse victims, people who have witnessed or been part of some horrible tragedy, soldiers in a war, or cops who have seen too much have a lot of negative emotions that they have to set aside when they are going through whatever they are going through. It manifests as nightmares until they can deal with it.
    My brother is getting out of prison soon and i am not letting him live with me this time. There is some anxiety and guilt about this that i feel. I had a nightmare about it the other night where he was trying to cut my head off with knives. I usually don't have a lot of nightmares.
    I would say that if you have some kind of major issue in you life that you better find a way to deal with it when you are awake or you will keep having nightmares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I guess I've only had one nightmare in my life, and I was 5 or 6 at the time. It somehow involved me sleeping on a grand piano in a vampire's house. Kids, what won't they think of.

When I have less-than-pleasant dreams as an adult, I may wake up disturbed, but my thoughts will be something like, "what was that about?" and it's always some twisted reflection of actual things going on in my life.
    Well I don't do interpretations of dreams but really it isn't very complicated, I am sure you probably figured them out, but Vampires house probably represents something powerful enough as a symbol to make you think of it, but why?

Dreams can be hard to interpret for YOU and you are the person having them, but so long as you know it is YOU that is the master behind the scenes, and you can either be ad odds with yourself, or you can be a partner.

I mean this is just you, if you can find that balance, as a whole you will be stronger.

You will still have blind spots, you can be aware of them, there will always be something that will make you it's bitch, the best way to deal with that make real life friends or allies who don't have that blind spot.

I think @Connel is a good source