View Poll Results: Do you see Blizzard implementing the WoW Token into Classic?

Voters
286. This poll is closed
  • Yes, totally see them doing this.

69 24.13%
  • No, then it wouldn't be Vanilla.

189 66.08%
  • That's a tough one...

28 9.79%
Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

WoW Token? Do you think it will be implemented in Classic?

This has been bothering me lately.

I'm a huge fan of the Classic announcement and I personally want it to remain exactly the same, or as close as possible.

I don't want any added features, but there are those that argue some things will inevitably change like having the battle.net integration. Which I don't see how Blizzard will release Classic without that integration unfortunately.

So if there will be obvious integration features through Bnet, and KNOWING blizzard wanting to milk WoW for all the money it could possibly make, I wouldn't put it past them to integrate the WoW Token into Classic like it is in Retail.

I think this would be a HUGE mistake personally. One of the KEY features of WoW Vanilla was how time-consuming or whatever you want to call it, it was to get gold yourself (or be incredibly lucky). I think if they integrate the WoW Token into Classic, it would ruin that feeling of accomplishment when you actually bought your first mount or finally getting the 1k needed for the Epic mount. It's one of those milestones and achievements in Vanilla that made one of the greatest memories for past players, and the Token would completely destroy that feeling.

Sure, there will be those that say "It doesn't change anything, just don't sell one and you're square" - but that's like the argument for flying "It doesn't change anything, just don't fly" - which obviously (most players who can, will) if there's the option.

I'm a bit scared about this one. I think most people who are asking for Quality of Life changed or added content will see they won't make it in...

But this... This is right up Blizzard's Alley for what I can see they would do...

Added a Poll to gauge what people are thinking.

**Edit: Honestly think people are thinking the Poll question is "Do you want WoW Tokens" when that's not the question.
    Last edited by Forgon; 2017-12-10 at 02:07 PM.

No, I don't think it will be.

Nor do I think it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Luubox View Post
    No, I don't think it will be.

Nor do I think it should be.
    As I agree, I totally see Blizzard doing this personally... It would ruin so much, but I think they would. The potential for them to make so much money is too high.
    Last edited by Forgon; 2017-12-10 at 08:48 AM.

If they do add it, the scaling will most likely be different than the normal servers. Since gold selling will inevitably happen, blizz will probably have a system so people don't have to risk third party sources.

No because it would mean people could buy gold legally. In vanilla you had to buy gold from chinese gold farmers. Vanilla isn't vanilla without the chinese.

What's stopping people from purchasing Battle.net currency using their gold from the retail version, and then using the balance on whatever the paying system Classic will have?

Not a chance. Classic servers would never be able to earn the amount of gold the tokens cost on live, and they can't really split available tokens between the two systems so they can have their own separate price points because that would screw over the whole supply/demand balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    What's stopping people from purchasing Battle.net currency using their gold from the retail version, and then using the balance on whatever the paying system Classic will have?
    This isn't so much talking about how you pay for Classic, but what buying gold directly would do to diminish that "classic feeling" of earning your gold (or as someone said buying it from the Chinese haha), ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Not a chance. Classic servers would never be able to earn the amount of gold the tokens cost on live, and they can't really split available tokens between the two systems so they can have their own separate price points because that would screw over the whole supply/demand balance.

Obviously the games are completely different with separate economies... I'm sure they could implement a system that would be separate from one another, but still have the same effect regardless where you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Obviously the games are completely different with separate economies... I'm sure they could implement a system that would be separate from one another, but still have the same effect regardless where you buy it.
    I don't see it happening. Would be far too much work to come up with a solution and implement it when it's something that was never part of Classic to begin with. I don't see it being a popular feature so I don't see them putting the effort in.

As I sated in a similar thread, not at first, as it would be too sensitive an issue, but as soon as the playerbase mindset will allow it, they will definitely put in tokens.
    Part of the reasoning for tokens was to give people an alternative to black market gold-sellers (while making nice profits on the side ofc.). The gold-sellers will be there whether you like it or not. So all that reasoning will be valid still.
    Classic gold will not be exchangeable 1-on-1 for modern gold ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I don't see it happening. Would be far too much work to come up with a solution and implement it when it's something that was never part of Classic to begin with. I don't see it being a popular feature so I don't see them putting the effort in.
    I agree in that that I think most people who wanted Classic servers will HATE the feature, but I think it would be WILDLY popular... Among casual players. (I'm not hating on casuals, I'm just know the idea of the path of least resistance.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Hasn't Bliz stated that vanilla WILL BE vanilla? Swear I saw a blue post on that a couple weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Hasn't Bliz stated that vanilla WILL BE vanilla? Swear I saw a blue post on that a couple weeks back.
    What I was getting at in my post, was that we will see "pretty much guaranteed" changes like WoW Classic being integrated into the Battle.net App.

And although I agree that a WoW token in Classic would completely ruin gold, I feel like I can see them justifying the addition by some means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the revenue model they choose really. The simplest answer is that you need to keep an active subscription going to the current game. In effect that's a back door way to back into paying for Classic as you can use tokens for that.

But who knows. I doubt if Blizzard has decided anything that specific. If they leave Classic alone though I can't imagine that one would be able to generate enough gold out of the game to pay for a token every month.

It's going to be hooked up to some form of battle.net. Everyone should just used to that idea right now. Not everyone is aware that there are two active battle.net instances, one for current games and another for "Classic" games.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Depends on the revenue model they choose really. The simplest answer is that you need to keep an active subscription going to the current game. In effect that's a back door way to back into paying for Classic as you can use tokens for that.
    I'm having a little trouble with understanding what you mean. So are you saying that if Blizzard tied Classic with the subscription to Retail that of course the WoW token would be offered in Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    What would wow token ruin exactly? Your experience of running to gamestop and buying game time is considered vanilla experience?

On a topic related, i think that blizzard will not go for it since i’m pretty certain they will connect the subscription to retail.
    This wouldn't matter, I actually always thought this would be the case. The idea would be you could buy "WoW Tokens" for a subscription of 1 month from either economy, but separated. Like if Classic players want to make gold on Classic they will buy and sell a WoW token (even though the WoW token is for the retail WoW, because that's how you would play classic if it's tied together). And nothing would change for retail.

Also, the WoW Token would totally diminish (in my humble opinion) that "earned" feeling you get when you buy something with gold if you can just buy it with real money instead of farming it, because Vanilla is all about the farm.
    Last edited by Forgon; 2017-12-10 at 09:33 AM.

I don't think it should but knowing Blizzard, I don't think it's unlikely.
    The more popular classic will be the more likely Blizzard is to add some sort of microtransactions to the platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    I'm having a little trouble with understanding what you mean. So are you saying that if Blizzard tied Classic with the subscription to Retail that of course the WoW token would be offered in Classic?
    Essentially yes. Pay a subscription and get access to both classic and current.

I don't know that they would let you mix gold with the two sides of the game. Probably not now that I think about it.

But if you paid for your subscription by farming gold in regular WoW for tokens and simply having a subscription gave you access to classic it would be mostly the same thing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Essentially yes.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, this is exactly what I think too. Of course they would add it, unfortunately. Although I can't tell if you think the WoW token could negatively affect Classic as I think it has implications to. Are you maybe indifferent?

I guess it could work if it's going to be universal subscription for both Modern WoW and Classic WoW but only if the token could be bought and sold on the Modern WoW character. Selling gold like this in Classic easily obliterates the economy and makes it pay to win as many more valuable things were available through AH back then.
    Last edited by Wiedzemir; 2017-12-10 at 10:10 AM.