View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The British in general don't want to see you fall on hard times, we have offered you a last little dribble of charity, it is up to you if you take it we can't force you to. You can lead a horse to water.....
    Did you see that news about Japan? We're moving on already. The importance of the UK is not questioned, but in the end, the decision has been made. We are going ahead to creating a global trade network with us at the centre. If you don't want to be included, that's fine. But after Canada and Japan, Australia's next. The deal with the US isn't completely out of the question, either. They just need to learn to respect other nations. Once they do that, we'll have pretty much the majority of the global gdp in this trade network. While the UK runs out of viable partners that are free to do as they please. Because, see, if you agree to a trade agreement with, say, Canada, you'll have to adhere to their regulations. And since they align their regulations with the EU's regulations (and vice versa), you will align your regulations with the EU. Albeit in a very roundabout way and without actually having any control.

Oh, sorry... please, continue, you were talking about the demise of the EU? Go ahead...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You know what would be an absolute coup on world trade? If the EU enters the CPTPP in some form.

And I love how the UK is completely focused on getting a trade deal with the EU when the moment they leave the EU they immediately also lose access to all the trade deals the EU has with third parties, which they will now have to negotiate individually.
    I still think this will end with Paragraph 49 being triggered and forcing the UK to stay inside the EFTA; May or whoever succeeds her will sell it to the people as the only deal that can keep proper peace in Ireland and we will continue with business as usual only with the UK no longer able to obstruct further EU integration from within.
    The CPTPP isn't tickling Japan's fancy. That's why they are glad to deal with us on a one-on-one basis. At least that's what the article said. I don't think we should endeavour to get into the CPTPP too quickly. It is the backyard of the US and if they want to play around in the Pacific, let them.

The goal is not for the EU to dominate the global market. The goal is for the EU and the US to dominate the world market. As long as the US doesn't get everything, I'm fine with them controlling the Pacific. And if we eventually get to have a trade pact with the US that isn't complete bollocks, we'll get access to the Pacific, too.

That's the cool thing about friends and allies. I only wonder what the UK is going to do once global trade actually circumvents them.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    I thought the UK was a Union of states, not a Unitary state?
    Maybe someone should explain to the English how Unions works.
    Apparently it is neither, it is a Union of one state and its home colonies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    I am certain that nations will be lining up for trade deals with a UK that reneges on promises made, that much is for sure. Just like on the day of Brexit, all former colonies will put up the British flags again and hail the return of the Empire, including the US. Kind of like that one Simpsons episode with the return of the UDSSR.

I am actually more interested in that last Dribble of charity. Is that a part of you, or a relative?
    Nations and its peoples will always follow the money, we have plenty - more than most in fact, don't you worry about us!

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Danish is from Denmark.

Even when you try to mock others, you mock yourself in the process impressive.
    Monsieur Baron, would it help if I clarified that to the Scandinavian group of nations? I didn't realise I had to be so obvious for luminaries such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    And the trade deal with Japan is final... I guess the UK will benefit a bit from it until they leave and have to negotiate their own deal.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...on-early-2019/
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Jesus... no more taxes on Green Tea? As someone who actually buys the imported tea, a little 200g bag for 10 Euros is really too much. This is going to actually save me money. How can you not like the EU?
    Three cheers for the EU, only took you forty years, that is why I am so optimistic for a no deal Brexit. Still thanks for small mercies I suppose, another EU triumph and trade deal the UK can piggy back on after we leave - any more in the bag coming shortly that the UK can benefit from?

You know what would be an absolute coup on world trade? If the EU enters the CPTPP in some form.

And I love how the UK is completely focused on getting a trade deal with the EU when the moment they leave the EU they immediately also lose access to all the trade deals the EU has with third parties, which they will now have to negotiate individually.
    I still think this will end with Paragraph 49 being triggered and forcing the UK to stay inside the EFTA; May or whoever succeeds her will sell it to the people as the only deal that can keep proper peace in Ireland and we will continue with business as usual only with the UK no longer able to obstruct further EU integration from within.
    Don't be so silly, the only group of nations that want to lose access to a top ten global trading country are the useless EU. We will just piggy back on our existing trade deals negotiated in our EU membership days and continue with those. Tweaking them bit by bit to nimbly out compete the behemoth slow moving EU that takes forty years to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Did you see that news about Japan? We're moving on already. The importance of the UK is not questioned, but in the end, the decision has been made. We are going ahead to creating a global trade network with us at the centre. If you don't want to be included, that's fine. But after Canada and Japan, Australia's next. The deal with the US isn't completely out of the question, either. They just need to learn to respect other nations. Once they do that, we'll have pretty much the majority of the global gdp in this trade network. While the UK runs out of viable partners that are free to do as they please. Because, see, if you agree to a trade agreement with, say, Canada, you'll have to adhere to their regulations. And since they align their regulations with the EU's regulations (and vice versa), you will align your regulations with the EU. Albeit in a very roundabout way and without actually having any control.

Oh, sorry... please, continue, you were talking about the demise of the EU? Go ahead...
    Look I know it's such a marvellous achievement you have to say it twice. Well done, even I am impressed with the EU's one and only achievement in all of its time of existence. It really is fantastic, how long for the next? Any you can rush along before we Brexit will be very much apprecciated.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    People in favor of the brexit believe trade deals are made quickly, the deal with Canada i believe took 7 years.

Something to consider when one believes new markets are found quickly, especially when in the case of the UK being the asking party and the others doing fine without them, as in they need it more they'll be in a weak position to begin with.

Nations and its peoples will always follow the money, we have plenty - more than most in fact, don't you worry about us!

In this context though, that statement does not apply. If nations cannot be sure that others will fulfill the commitments they agreed to, they rather go for safe alternatives. Bust a deal, face the wheel.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    In this context though, that statement does not apply. If nations cannot be sure that others will fulfill the commitments they agreed to, they rather go for safe alternatives. Bust a deal, face the wheel.
    It is not the UK that refuses its commitments though, when the UK joined the EU it was like a golf club that now has decided to play football instead. The UK cannot play golf there anymore - the goal posts have been installed by the EU club, changed and moved, reneging on the original deal.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

She was tasked with maintaining the integrated EU UK economy, whilst extricating the UK from the EU Economy, again, that's impossible.
    Nah, not impossible (she could have tried to annex Ireland) just unfeasible.

Three cheers for the EU, only took you forty years, that is why I am so optimistic for a no deal Brexit. Still thanks for small mercies I suppose, another EU triumph and trade deal the UK can piggy back on after we leave - any more in the bag coming shortly that the UK can benefit from?

Don't be so silly, the only group of nations that want to lose access to a top ten global trading country are the useless EU. We will just piggy back on our existing trade deals negotiated in our EU membership days and continue with those. Tweaking them bit by bit to nimbly out compete the behemoth slow moving EU that takes forty years to do anything.

Look I know it's such a marvellous achievement you have to say it twice. Well done, even I am impressed with the EU's one and only achievement in all of its time of existence. It really is fantastic, how long for the next? Any you can rush along before we Brexit will be very much apprecciated.
    How exactly do you plan on piggy backing a deal if you're favouring a no deal?

And the EU doesn't want to lose access to the UK. The whole idea didn't come from us. It came from the UK. But as it has been made, we will deal with it. I think it's ironic that you now pretend this whole shitshow was our idea. Nah man, you started it. But trust me, we'll finish it. If the UK thinks this is some sort of elaborate bluff and everyone will admire them later for it, they'll be sorely mistaken.

It is a marvellous achievement. Mostly because they are twice as big as the UK. This will bring some extra cash both ways and everyone will be happier. Except of course the UK, since they are hellent on making things difficult.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

No no, to be fair, the EU wanted 15 years of ECJ supremacy, not 8.
    That's one thing.
    Maybe the EU will get permanent ECJ supremacy for their trade deal?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, i don't think you understand what the UK agreed to - they said all UK regulations will be the same, and that the NI regulations (which therefore means the entire UK) will be the same as the Irish, which means the EU - Say Hi to vassal status.
    And since the highest authority to interpret those in the EU is the ECJ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    The EU wanted the ECJ to maintain jurisdiction for 15 years, the Brexiteers wanted zero, we ended up with 8. Pretty much as meeting in the middle as you can get.
    They pretended to meet in the middle and got other paragraphs that mean it will be permanent.

It is not the UK that refuses its commitments though, when the UK joined the EU it was like a golf club that now has decided to play football instead. The UK cannot play golf there anymore - the goal posts have been installed by the EU club, changed and moved, reneging on the original deal.
    You forgot the part where the UK agreed to most of the changes, but that is par for the course by now. Apparently a veto means something different in Britain than it means everywhere else in Europe.
    Anyway, in most golf clubs you still have to to pay for an agreed upon period when leaving, usually the period that you are leaving in. As far as I know, the money being talked about in that agreement is outstanding contributions for that budget period, but not for the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    Nobody wants a hard border so there are no winners and losers in that regard.

Ireland wanted the clause to state no regulatory divergence, but the UK didn't agree to it. Instead we have 'regulatory alignment' which as the commentary after has demonstrated, no one has the feintest idea what that actually entails.
    "Regulatory alignment" means "no regulatory divergence", just like "identical" means "no difference".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What else could it possibly have been? Rofl. This is what happens when you remove yourself from the table that decides.
    It could have been worse, the UK could have been left at the mercy of China or the US.
    This way they at least got to take part in defining the fundamentals of these regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    That's what we would have done in Bulgaria.
    But your politicans probably didn't spent the last few decades blaming all and everything anyone disliked on the EU und claiming all of the things EU the did that people like as their own work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In which wouldn't be better to withdraw our notice and wait to be kicked out thus saving us £40b?
    Getting kicked out would cost you more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    In my opinion, one of the greatest mistakes the EU made was to never establish a common language.
    No, definitvely not, nothing on Earth did more for translability between languages than the EU.
    All automated translators are mainly based on EU documents. Just a few years more and the language barrier won't be much of a problem anymore, and that is when having different mothertongues will start really paying off for European science. Research groups that combine people with different language backgrounds generally more productive than uniform ones, because there is a greater varity of different ideas available.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Brextremists are like cornered rats, lashing out and mindlessly biting at anything they perceive as a threat. The dribbler is a prime example of a looser who doesn’t know it, sadly his kind have dragged this country down to their level of idiocy.
    Not really. Only half of it. Which makes it even more sad, because the other half absolutely understands the damages being done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Getting kicked out would cost you more.
    I'd like to add that while 40bn sounds outrageously much for us, it's pocket change for the EU and for the UK. Either budget can absolutely live with or without that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Not really, I just can't see a modern nation like the Dutch having a village get-together because someone is slaughtering their pig.
    You'd be surprised

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Yeah but those things won't vanish just because you aren't a country on its own anymore. I mean even within our small country there are vastly different customs and they are still around despite being one nation, or part of another country, or occupied by 4 different countries.
    Germany still has several different (and mutually unintelligible) languages, too, does it not?

- - - Updated - - -

I think generally, territories that have traditionally discussed independence in european nations now present a stronger point of view not because the EU is failing but because of the absolute opposite, they feel they can become safe independent states in a federalized EU. If in some remote future the EU did federalize, independence of such territories would be vastly simpler after all
    But if it did their underlying reasons for wanting independence would vanish: They want to get out of monetary solidarity with the rest of their country.
    Which is quite short sighted, because as far as I know, all of them did get moneatry help from those other parts in the past to get where they are now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by longlivedoge View Post
    Makes me wonder who the brexiters will consider a good trading partner once the eu, china, america have all made solid partnerships , they will be paying alot more money than now i think :/
    2 out of those 3 might want to trade freely for the benefit of all. One wants us to pay 40bn, hop on one leg whilst pilfering more from our back pockets at the same time. Under those conditions who do you think are the good potential trading partners?

I think generally, territories that have traditionally discussed independence in european nations now present a stronger point of view not because the EU is failing but because of the absolute opposite, they feel they can become safe independent states in a federalized EU. If in some remote future the EU did federalize, independence of such territories would be vastly simpler after all
    But if it did their underlying reasons for wanting independence would vanish: They want to get out of monetary solidarity with the rest of their country.
    Which is quite short sighted, because as far as I know, all of them did get moneatry help from those other parts in the past to get where they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by longlivedoge View Post
    Makes me wonder who the brexiters will consider a good trading partner once the eu, china, america have all made solid partnerships , they will be paying alot more money than now i think :/
    Despite their best efforts, Europe won't simply abandon the UK. We'll let them have their rebellious teenage fits and when they want to be friends again, the door will be open. That's really the underline here. It's never too late to stop being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    there's a significant push by europhiles to make the entire continent of europe a federal state.

that is why i voted leave, Great Britain has to maintain it's sovereignty and it's pride.

i dislike what May has put forward as i would prefer Great Britain completely leaves the single market and customs union, but businesses are cucking her hard and forcing her to stay in otherwise they'll leave our Great Country for europe lol.
    I thought you decided to move to France?

2 out of those 3 might want to trade freely for the benefit of all. One wants us to pay 40bn, hop on one leg whilst pilfering more from our back pockets at the same time. Under those conditions who do you think are the good potential trading partners?
    Rofl... if you are mad about the EU making you "hop on one leg", look forward to what the US usually does with its trading partners. Haha. That's fucking funny... China and the US doing a trade deal with the UK "for free", oh my stomach hurts...

The US are proving to want everything their way in a discussion over trade with the entire EU. A bloc that is their equal in financial might. Which is one of the reasons why the deal with the US is taking so long; the EU are refusing to agree to the one-sided nature of the deal that the US want.

When they sit down for a deal with the UK, the discussion will be pretty one-sided. The only question the UK will be allowed to ask is "how far over would you like me to bend". The only concession they are likely to be offered is to be allowed a small amount of lube.

If you think we are going to get something "mutually beneficial" you are as delusional as your posts suggest.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.