View Poll Results: Do you see Blizzard implementing the WoW Token into Classic?

Voters
286. This poll is closed
  • Yes, totally see them doing this.

69 24.13%
  • No, then it wouldn't be Vanilla.

189 66.08%
  • That's a tough one...

28 9.79%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This thread, and poll, makes the assumption that Classic will have a separate sub from the retail game. It won't. So...this poll and thread is kind of pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    This has been bothering me lately.

I'm a huge fan of the Classic announcement and I personally want it to remain exactly the same, or as close as possible.

I don't want any added features, but there are those that argue some things will inevitably change like having the battle.net integration. Which I don't see how Blizzard will release Classic without that integration unfortunately.

So if there will be obvious integration features through Bnet, and KNOWING blizzard wanting to milk WoW for all the money it could possibly make, I wouldn't put it past them to integrate the WoW Token into Classic like it is in Retail.

I think this would be a HUGE mistake personally. One of the KEY features of WoW Vanilla was how time-consuming or whatever you want to call it, it was to get gold yourself (or be incredibly lucky). I think if they integrate the WoW Token into Classic, it would ruin that feeling of accomplishment when you actually bought your first mount or finally getting the 1k needed for the Epic mount. It's one of those milestones and achievements in Vanilla that made one of the greatest memories for past players, and the Token would completely destroy that feeling.

Sure, there will be those that say "It doesn't change anything, just don't sell one and you're square" - but that's like the argument for flying "It doesn't change anything, just don't fly" - which obviously (most players who can, will) if there's the option.

I'm a bit scared about this one. I think most people who are asking for Quality of Life changed or added content will see they won't make it in...

But this... This is right up Blizzard's Alley for what I can see they would do...

Added a Poll to gauge what people are thinking.

**Edit: Honestly think people are thinking the Poll question is "Do you want WoW Tokens" when that's not the question.
    wow another "I want vanilla, but not really vanilla, unless its the sort of almost vanilla that I want it to be" thread.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This thread, and poll, makes the assumption that Classic will have a separate sub from the retail game. It won't. So...this poll and thread is kind of pointless.
    Literally don't know where you're getting that. Matter of fact I've stated multiple times I'm assuming the that Classic will have a tie-in subscription with Retail, because that's how I view this.

There's 1 subscription for WoW (WoW:Classic bundled in) - 1 token that can be used for a month of WoW as we already have. The idea of this thread was the decision of Blizzard if they allowed this 1 token to be implemented to be purchased/sold within Classic, for gold within Classic. A second and separate way of selling the 1 token so customers could chose where they wanted their gold, on Retail on Classic (because they have widely different economies and they would be completely different games the price would reflect their own (and non-interchangeable)).

I never once made the assumption that Classic will have a different sub, or a different token. But even so, that's not that argument at all, the question is "Do you see Blizzard implementing the WoW Token into Classic?".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    wow another "I want vanilla, but not really vanilla, unless its the sort of almost vanilla that I want it to be" thread.
    That's really weird you actually copied the whole of my first post and then completely said something that proves you read literally nothing.

I would much rather give 20 dollars (or whatever the cost is) of game time to another player in exchange for 500g than to a chinese gold farmer. And those are the only two options we'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I would much rather give 20 dollars (or whatever the cost is) of game time to another player in exchange for 500g than to a chinese gold farmer. And those are the only two options we'll get.
    If people bought the same amount from gold sellers as they do from blizzard, then this would be a non-issue. But that's clearly not the case. I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least 1:20 ratio difference in favor of people buying from blizzard.

And you just proved my point with what you said. Gold selling should be illegal.
    Last edited by Sibylline; 2017-12-10 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibylline View Post
    Oh really? There were no games in the ~2005 era where you could pay real money for in game benefits? So free to play games (which have in-game benefits as the main source of income) didn't exist back then.

Great economist insight there, if they lose sub numbers they'd have to bump the price up? That would make them lose even more subscribers. Also stop talking like they're some starving almost homeless indie company, they're clearly drowning in money and avaricious as all hell. Few games back then had the audacity to ask for full priced game copy fee + expansions + monthly sub worth half a good game's price.

My point wasn't that making something legal is bad, my point was that just because some people break a law that it shouldn't be legalized.
    If you actually want me to explain why buying in-game gold for real money is bad for the game and its economy as a whole then I'm sorry for you.
    They're also a company that has to prove 4 times a year that they're worth keeping around, so the shareholders don't gut them and sell them. Shareholders are not happy with the idea of paying server and manpower costs from now to eternity so cheap/poor people can play the game. Which is better, one sub who pays $10 a month or 100 subs who pays $0?

Hint, it's the ones that pay that matter. Blizzard don't get to keep the money they make, I don't think they ever did. They get an allowance for upkeep and for r&d, everything else is going elsewhere, where they can't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    No because it would mean people could buy gold legally. In vanilla you had to buy gold from chinese gold farmers. Vanilla isn't vanilla without the chinese.
    I think they're Venezuelan these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    There's 1 subscription for WoW (WoW:Classic bundled in) - 1 token that can be used for a month of WoW as we already have. The idea of this thread was the decision of Blizzard if they allowed this 1 token to be implemented to be purchased/sold within Classic, for gold within Classic. A second and separate way of selling the 1 token so customers could chose where they wanted their gold, on Retail on Classic (because they have widely different economies and they would be completely different games the price would reflect their own (and non-interchangeable)).
    Frankly, if you divide current economy by 1000 you end up roughly where WoW was during classic. I remember 40g being a lot, and the price of epic mounts so steep people would go months before making enough to buy it for one character.

The main argument for people pro-WoW token seems to be "well you have chinese gold farmers, might as well have Blizzard do it instead". What a sound logical argument.

You do realize what that entails, right? "Well people can buy and sell drugs anyway, might as well make it legal", or "People get murdered anyway, why not make it legal if it doesn't stop literally everyone from getting murdered?" . "Why have laws if some people break them?"

This is the most absurd moot point that keeps getting parroted.
    I'm not 'pro-wow-token', but I'm not naive either. I'm merely pointing out that the same reasoning that had Blizzard introducing it to the modern game still holds. And please don't overgeneralize this. No, the same reasoning that drove Blizzard down the QoL/popularizing route that eventually culminated in the WoD clusterfuck doesn't hold, which is why Legion was a departure and why Classic became possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    They gave up in the sense that one of their founding principles when they actually cared about the game was that it shouldn't be pay to win. They clearly stopped caring later on with character boosts and other things that aren't just aesthetic being introduced. The cash shop was a mistake from the very start and it was obvious that it would've come down to this, just like everything else that has gone downhill in nu-WoW. Captain hindsight yea whatever; people were dismissing everything back then, and some of them still are.
    except its not pay to win...
    i dont...
    getting a NOT max level charecter boost is not "paying to wing"
    i just...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    Sure, only if i get that NA 170k gold for $25 !
    There's all the mount costs for 1000+ alts done and dusted!

Lol i don't see them doing this, no need to threat. They're listening to the community too much for that to happen :P
    i dont see why anyone thinks it would be the same gold value as the current servers...
    does no one have the thought "hey maybe it will cost its own price and own gold, seperate?"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Never happen. Nobody would be able to make enough gold to afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Not a chance. Classic servers would never be able to earn the amount of gold the tokens cost on live, and they can't really split available tokens between the two systems so they can have their own separate price points because that would screw over the whole supply/demand balance.
    This so much, I don´t see how any player could produce enough gold for even one token, played on WotLK before the changes to mount skill and it was difficult to get gold. Doing only vanilla content it would take forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    Welcome to the Alliance, faction of compromises and unfulfilled desires. Want Vrykul? Here is compromise in form of kul tiran half giants we never heard of. Wanna High elves? Here is compromise in form of void elves we never heard of. Wanna broken draenei? awww fuck it
    About ganking ("world pvp") being dead now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Maybe you could wear a mask and push over little kids while they walk home from school instead?

Yep, definitely. It's too useful in fighting gold sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    except its not pay to win...
    i dont...
    getting a NOT max level charecter boost is not "paying to wing"
    i just...
    Character boosts are pay to win. Buying gold is pay to win. ANYTHING you buy with real money that lets you skip grind or content or provides any advantage is pay to win. Just because you decide to arbitrarily move goalposts whenever it feels convenient it doesn't make it not "pay to win". People have had the rug slowly pulled from under their feet, pay to win shit was introduced. But that's NOT REAL pay to win as long as it doesnt let u buy le best gear in gteim xddddxxvc.
    Would you prefer if it were called "pay to obtain advantage" ? it doesn't sound as catchy

Character boosts are pay to win. Buying gold is pay to win. ANYTHING you buy with real money that lets you skip grind or content or provides any advantage is pay to win.
    It's not though.

This is why the gaming industry has become the clusterfuck shithole of dlc/early access/microtransactions that it is today. You people are delusional and your mentality is allowing these things to happen. I'm done posting here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should it be buyable? Sure. Sold? No. Adding an easy way to make money in Classic to that extent would devalue the grind needed to buy mount training etc. I'm all for it being in Classic, just as long as it isn't able to be sold for gold by one player to another.

If the WoW token system was implemented upon release, you'd see a token selling for a couple gold each. I don't think it would be a feature they'd implement early on, if ever. The wow token would essentially level the economy between live and classic, which might cause some serious inflation issues. Blizzard actually does care about the in game economy. It's infinitely easier to farm gold on live than classic even with inflation taken into account. Classic didn't really have dailies that awarded insane amounts of gold.
    Last edited by Urayamashii; 2017-12-10 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completely disagree with adding any kind of token into classic.
    WoW tokens would inflate the economy massively leading to gold prices shooting through the roof on almost everything on the AH just as it did on live servers after being introduced. it would also lead to even more unhealthy lifestyles in Classic beyond which already existed in vanilla people trying to farm enough gold to stay subbed, it would also ruin the vanilla feel and experience if you could directly buy gold in a safe, affordable, reliable way with no threat of being banned and having all of you're time wasted.

In addition its not Vanilla, Classic needs to remain as Classic as possible or it won't be classic and isn't worth doing because then it will just become retail-lite in which case you can just play the retail game and limit yourself or petition Blizzard for their other "Pristine" server idea instead.
    Last edited by Zaeyla; 2017-12-10 at 11:11 PM.

I expecting some money stuff like skins, mounts or pets.
    They are making this gam for something, I'm not expecting it's going to be free but I'm not expecting gold token like we have right now.
    I'm still thinking this game is going to run like Diablo3