Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is there a real point to world firsts?

I'm not discrediting any guild for putting in all the heavy work. All I wanna know is whether there's an actual return on their investment and I don't mean a sense of short-lived glory and virtual dominance, more like financial reinforcement from sponsors. I have a friend who used to raid with Serenity and he told me it's all about the thrill of competition.

I find it pretty unbelievable that any top end guild that races for world firsts do not get any financial support from sponsors. Sure, the race to world first is great and all that is it's own reward, but I don't know how long that would sustain the roster.

Then again, there are guilds that land rank 10 or rank 20 that put in a lot of effort, but have no sponsors.

There is a huge difference in world firsts from now and back in say.. BC and Wrath... I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than getting views and income from streaming the process I don't think they get financial support from sponsors. Sponsors will usually supply hardware and peripherals to those they sponsor, but no actual cash.

As far as World Firsts meaning anything, most people don't care about them at all anymore.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

people like to be competitive is the understandable answer

Nobody really cares anymore.

At least they get to beta test all of the broken encounters that Blizzard puts out.

Deleted
    You might go even further.... is there a point to high end raiding when you see the content via raid finder anyway?
    Or raiding overall when you can see the content via youtube? Or even playing the game for that matter?
    Is there a point to anything in life?

If you care... sure. Some people are competitive and feel it's very important to be first. Some people just don't give a shift.

Up to you really.

To me its like speedrunning or the smaller esports games that don't really payout beyond the very top without financial backing (ie: nintendo and smash bros). Just the desire to compete and better yourself really. With smash, top players can put in insane hours to lab, though in the case of WoW there's more of a long-term rigid time obligation, needing to play every night, whereas with smash you're not locked into anything

It's not the best analogy, but I'm not one to say somebody shouldn't spend all their free time doing one thing they really love. Speedrunning isn't lucrative, neither is WoW, but eh its their free time. For a select few, they can do the streaming thing though for the moneys, and thats cool
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2017-12-11 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pitar99a View Post
    I'm not discrediting any guild for putting in all the heavy work. All I wanna know is whether there's an actual return on their investment and I don't mean a sense of short-lived glory and virtual dominance, more like financial reinforcement from sponsors. I have a friend who used to raid with Serenity and he told me it's all about the thrill of competition.
    I think that it generates hype in the community, but as someone else already said: I don't think it's nearly as suspenseful or discussed as it used to be. Personally, I barely follow it anymore and really don't care who gets world first.

Same reason people want gold at the Olympics... prestige and self accomplishment.

It's nearly exclusively about competition. At least it was back when I was doing it. There are many factors, including the age of the game and number of iterations of "world firsts", that have lead to the decline in caring of world firsts. However, I would say another contributing factor is simply the fact that very few can compete with the amount of playing the top couple guilds are doing these days. "Day Raiding" is simply something that a vast majority of players, even bleeding edge progression raiders, can not pull off. The player base has aged with the game, I'm sure there are more people in careers still trying to hold onto their progression leading dreams, that have realized they simply can't beat guilds who are "Day Raiding" while they work at their jobs for 8 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Same reason people want gold at the Olympics... prestige and self accomplishment.
    Well, you usually get some cash too (eg. $15000 in the US) so there’s that and obv getting gold at the olympics is pretty good bargaining chip with sponsors.

Deleted
    ITT: Getting a gold medal at the olympics compared to raiding in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pitar99a View Post
    Just a neat tag of honor, nothing more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Prestige? Sponsors? Competition?

10+ Year Old Account
    The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Seriously, that's it. It feels good to be the best.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmojoman View Post
    You might go even further.... is there a point to high end raiding when you see the content via raid finder anyway?
    Or raiding overall when you can see the content via youtube? Or even playing the game for that matter?
    Is there a point to anything in life?

If you care... sure. Some people are competitive and feel it's very important to be first. Some people just don't give a shift.

Up to you really.
    is there ... a point to anything in life ... wow, deep man.

@TS: there's more to life then cash. Do the things you enjoy doing. if that's high end raiding, so be it but don't expect to get rich... if it's money you want you'd be better off applying for a job irl in 99% of the cases
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

dick measuring contest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    ITT: Getting a gold medal at the olympics compared to raiding in WoW.
    I know. Getting world first is obviously harder, as way fewer people have done that
    /sarcasm

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    There is a huge difference in world firsts from now and back in say.. BC and Wrath... I don't think anyone really cares anymore.
    Considering world firsts seem right now to happen within a week of a raid being released...yeah.