Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    What will happen to the animals when we no longer use them?
    They will no longer be mass-produced in factories, I guess? Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Source

Personally I believe lab-grown meat is the way to go. As much as I enjoy a nice burger and fries, I enjoy the suffering of other mammals much less. There are many positive benefits to lab-grown meat and the end of industrialized livestock slaughter aside from inhumane conditions and unnecessary suffering as well. Most crops that are grown go to feeding huge populations of chickens, cattle and pigs. Additionally many farmers feed their cattle corn which they cannot properly digest and generally become gassy (for a lack of a better term), releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.
    heh sci-fi movies coming to life

plebs will eat artificial meat while elite will eat real meat

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you understand what lab grown meat would be. It's essentially using cells of an animal to grow flesh as an alternative to having to kill animals en masse, creating various ethical and ecological problems.
    i dare you - look up video how mcdonalds make its chicken bits or how its called. .

ill guarantee you will never touch it ever again .

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

Well, lab-grown meat would technically be real meat anyway since it would be grown directly from animal cells, but it could potentially make the consumption of meat a lot cheaper. As many developing countries experience economic growth more and more of them will want meat.

i dare you - look up video how mcdonalds make its chicken bits or how its called. .

ill guarantee you will never touch it ever again .
    How is that relevant to cultured/lab-grown meat?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    if it looks and tastes like meat and gives me the protein/Rion I need. I won't care.

If lab-grown meat will be as tasty and affordable as basic meat then I see it replacing the industry over time. If it wont it's just what is said here, an alternative.

I hope it will be as tasty, since it removes ethical and environmental concerns from production. By that point vegan foods would cease to be the ethical choice and be rendered simply a diet among others.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

As much as I enjoy a nice burger and fries, I enjoy the suffering of other mammals much less..
    What about insect, lizards, molluscs, amphibians and fish? I personally have tried and loved gator meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaiz View Post
    Well I for one look forward to purchasing black market real meat. This will go along with my outlawed gasoline vehicles and pretty much anything else that has brought joy to my life.
    People who can't handle progress and change are the reason progress is so slow.

Deleted
    Source

Personally I believe lab-grown meat is the way to go. As much as I enjoy a nice burger and fries, I enjoy the suffering of other mammals much less. There are many positive benefits to lab-grown meat and the end of industrialized livestock slaughter aside from inhumane conditions and unnecessary suffering as well. Most crops that are grown go to feeding huge populations of chickens, cattle and pigs. Additionally many farmers feed their cattle corn which they cannot properly digest and generally become gassy (for a lack of a better term), releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.
    I want us to build reliable, functional fusion so we can finally start making some food synthesizer machines, like in Star Trek.

Seriously though, imagine the shit we could do with limitless energy generation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    What about insect, lizards, molluscs, amphibians and fish? I personally have tried and loved gator meat.
    I've tried gator as well, but I wasn't a fan. I've also tried bison, elk, ostrich, snakehead (they're an invasive species here) and rattlesnake.

If cultured meat can be used to create viable beef, theoretically it could probably be used to create any number of meats.

Get over yourself, you don't care about the "suffering of mammals". If your really did you'd go completely vegan, which btw nearly nobody professing to be vegan does.

You benefit from animal suffering, every, single, day. It will never stop, ever. Nor should it. You not eating meat or not drinking milk doesn't prevent animal suffering one bit.

That's not to say this fake-meat isn't good business, it surely is, because people love deluding themselves and being in style. Vegetarianism is in style atm. But if you search your feelings, you don't really give a shit about the suffering of mammals. They suffer for so much more than food in our society, so much you cba to live without.

If it doesn't bleed, dont eat it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

This will be how Western society ends.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Meat of any kind makes me physically sick, so I doubt I could even eat something grown if it's still biologically animal material. If people who could eat it instead would enjoy it then sure, but it's still probably not something I could eat physically xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    This is my main question. I mean there are around 100 million cattle in the US. Of course not all of those are used for meat but what will we do with those that are? Just let them all die off?
    Unless the change is sudden, they will be "phased out" as a meat source. Unless outright outlawed, there will still be a market for "actual, real, grown meat", even if it would be inferior in every way to the lab grown meat; however, it will over time become niche. That is under the assumption that the lab grown meat is cheaper and less legaly risky to produce. So, in that scenario (which I consider the most likely of all possible future options for the time being), the lifestock will not suddenly have to disappear; the number of lifestock kept for meat will however over time diminish, as it will be the more expensive way to produce meat.
    I generally consider sudden change in legislature anywhere that would immediatelly/very short term ban any lifestock meat products as practically impossible. It would be a massive PR disaster for any politician that would come up with it, practically independent on any country. Similarly, anyone who would actually vote for such a provision would be massively risking their chances at re-election, and therefore outright outlawing lifestock-grown meat simply won't happen; and there is no other way (bar worldwide disease hitting multiple species of vertebrates - and under that condition, we'll have other things to worry about than where our meat comes from) that lifestock-grown meat could be as quickly taken out of the market.

What happened to horses when they became functionally obsolete in almost all of the developed world?

We will likely continue to milk cows until we can find an alternative that tastes like actual milk.

Some animals will undoubtedly be kept as pets like pigs, sheep and goats.

Some primitive breeds of cattle may be used to help recreate a feral breed similar to the extinct aurochs (wild cattle) and be reintroduced to parts of Europe as vital grazers, contributing to the development of open woodlands and grasslands.
    there is soymilk with vanilla and it doesnt taste too bad

futurism.com should be renamed to retarded.com

Quote Originally Posted by LinusTechTip View Post
    there is soymilk with vanilla and it doesnt taste too bad
    Try making cheese with soymilk. Try making any pastries with soymilk. Dairy is essential to the diet of millions if not billions. Soymilk, coconut milk or rice milk, whichever milk substitute you choose doesn't come close to the nutritional value of cow milk.

It's also worth noting that whatever environmental concerns exist due to cattle-farming, soy-farms are just as bad, if not worse if they continue to increase.

Sounds good, cant wait.

I'm totally on board with this, so long as cheese filled hotdogs are a part of this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It’s really not. Majority of East Asians seem to be lactose intolerant and don’t use milk in their diets. They’re doing just fine, if not healthier than most people from other countries.

And this isn't even covering the various vitamins and nutrients in cow's milk.

Also take into account the arduous process of refining all the other types of milk compared to cow's milk. What possible proof do you have that east asians are healthier than other people? It's a known fact that they have lower bone density than Caucasians and Africans for example, cow's milk is one of the best sources of calcium in the world.