Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    You are that gullible that you believe every word that CNN and far left Media spoon feeds you huh??
    Moore lost, get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Sadly, this is not at all a new thing in Alabama. Alabama is home to some of the most disgusting 19th century-era voter suppression imaginable. It was Alabama that enacted Voter ID requirements, then immediately shut down the majority of DMV and ID facilities in the state - primarily focused on those in black and minority communities - and changed the hours of many of the remaining offices to only be open a handful of days out of the month. Alabama is a third world shithole.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Key difference here is that there is a long track record of Republicans actively engaging in voter suppression; and by track record I mean the judiciary has had to step in several times in multiple states.
    No there isn’t, there’s a long track record of losing democrats blaming everything on white racism and other boogeymen. You’re confusing the Obama DoJ with the judiciary. The same DoJ that didn’t think Black panthers standing outside polling places threatening white people with billy clubs constituted a crime, oh wait they just covered it up so they knew it was a crime. The actual judiciary has not banned voter id laws and has actually rebuked the DoJ from interfering with states that impose voter of laws.

So you’re basically wrong on all accounts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    No there isn’t, there’s a long track record of losing democrats blaming everything on white racism and other boogeymen. Your confusing the Obama DoJ with the judiciary. The same DoJ that didn’t think Black panthers standing outside polling places threatening white people with billy clubs constituted a crime, oh wait they just covered it up so they knew it was a crime. The actual judiciary has not banned voter or laws and has actually rebuked the DoJ from interfering with states that impose voter of laws.

My only error was saying 'Republicans' rather than 'conservatives', because the latter have been engaging in voter suppression for about a century and a half. The most recent slough of Republican offenses are just that, the most recent.

But of course, conservative shills are going to somehow justify things like limiting DMV and polling hours as virtuous regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

No there isn’t, there’s a long track record of losing democrats blaming everything on white racism and other boogeymen. You’re confusing the Obama DoJ with the judiciary. The same DoJ that didn’t think Black panthers standing outside polling places threatening white people with billy clubs constituted a crime, oh wait they just covered it up so they knew it was a crime. The actual judiciary has not banned voter id laws and has actually rebuked the DoJ from interfering with states that impose voter of laws.

So I take it this judge in Texas isn’t part of the judiciary?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/u...-in-texas.html

Stop your trolling, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post
    So I take it this judge in Texas isn’t part of the judiciary?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/u...-in-texas.html

Stop your trolling, dude.

Some activist Hispanic judge doesn’t constitute the judiciary, he’s probably just some district peon trying to build a record for a congress run.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    Source: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...bama-election/

The Alabama Senate election is shining a national spotlight on Alabama, and not in the most flattering way.

Almost as soon as voting was underway on Tuesday, civil rights groups began receiving hundreds of complaints of voter suppression, and residents and reporters took to social media to report tactics used to intimidate minority voters or force them to cast provisional ballots.

The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law had received 235 calls to its voter hotline as of 3:24 p.m. The group aims to provide live assistance to voters, and it’s unclear how many of the calls were to report voting irregularities rather than simply asking for assistance. The NAACP Legal Defense Fund has been collecting reports of voting problems in Alabama, some of them secondhand, including multiple reports of people being put on inactive status and erroneously prevented from voting.

“Some of these voters are told that they cannot vote,” Coty Montag, the director of litigation at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, wrote in a roundup on Tuesday afternoon. “Others are being given provisional ballots. The correct [procedure] is that voters who appear on the inactive list must be allowed an opportunity to re-identify and vote a regular ballot.”

The group also collected reports of very long lines at precincts where poll workers say they were unprepared for high turnout. Alabama’s secretary of state, Republican John Merrill, has repeatedly predicted low turnout in the special election. Election expert Michael McDonald of the University of Florida tweeted that it was “bordering on malpractice to give this guidance to local election officials who should prepare for higher turnout.” The group has also collected reports of people being prevented from voting by the state’s photo ID law because their IDs have expired.

The complaints coming to these civil rights groups mirror the reports coming from journalists and voters on the ground in Alabama. Here are some of the unconfirmed reports coming in from social media. They paint a portrait of a state that still appears to be wrestling with voter suppression after a long civil rights struggle seeking to end these practices in the state.

One Alabama voter shared her story of being placed on inactive status, even though she is a regular voter, and nearly being stopped from voting entirely:

9:42 AM - Dec 12, 2017
    730 730 Replies 12,245 12,245 Retweets 16,612 16,612 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    She claims that the precinct was denying inactive voters the right to cast a ballot if they did not remember the county they were born in. If true, this would violate federal law. A spokesman for the Alabama secretary of state did not respond to a request for comment about this incident. “More disturbing (if true from anecdotal reports) is that the voter needs to name county of [birth],” election law expert Rick Hasen wrote on Twitter of the report about inactive voter issues. “Sounds a lot like the OLD Alabama.” Voters should not be put on inactive status unless they have not voted for four years, according to Alabama law.

ThinkProgress reporter Kira Lerner also received reports of voters on inactive status struggling to cast a ballot, which they are legally allowed to do:

Good Ole Alabama being racist. Who said racism was gone from this country?
    No shock - voter suppression is about the only way the GOP wins anymore. That and geriatric idiots that believe everything they see on Fox News.

Some activist Hispanic judge doesn’t constitute the judiciary, he’s probably just some district peon trying to build a record for a congress run.
    Sounds like speculative bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Judges don't constitute "the judiciary".

Riiight.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Also struck down or blocked in North Dakota, North Carolina, Kansas, and Wisconsin. Would you like to try and question those judges’ integrity by calling them Hispanic in a derogatory way as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Judges don't constitute "the judiciary".

Riiight.
    Hispanic judges don’t count in the judiciary, according to satimy at least.

Some pretty vile racism is allowed in these forums.

Also struck down or blocked in North Dakota, North Carolina, Kansas, and Wisconsin. Would you like to try and question those judges’ integrity by calling them Hispanic in a derogatory way as well?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.faf30397b891

Wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't have gotten to the Supreme Court if it hadn't been blocked in all the lower courts.

- - - Updated - - -

Hispanic isn’t a race, However your assumption that Hispanic people are all the same race is racist

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't have gotten to the Supreme Court if it hadn't been blocked in all the lower courts.
    The Supreme Court refused to take the case, the federal appeals court overturned the state courts ruling

10+ Year Old Account
    Hispanic isn’t a race, However your assumption that Hispanic people are all the same race is racist
    Your insistence on pointing out a judge's race because you disagree with his or her ruling isn't racist, apparently.

The Supreme Court refused to take the case, the federal appeals court overturned the state courts ruling
    Which really doesn't service your insistence that the judiciary has not been addressing issues of voter suppression in multiple states because a) it has, the fact that the state courts ruled against it is evidence enough and b) you're not addressing the ream of other cases in other states.

If she's an activist judge who abuses her position she should probably be removed. Just like Roy Moore was kicked off the bench twice for being an activist judge.

Your insistence on pointing out a judge's race because you disagree with his or her ruling isn't racist, apparently.

Which really doesn't service your insistence that the judiciary has not been addressing issues of voter suppression in multiple states because a) it has, the fact that the state courts ruled against it is evidence enough and b) you're not addressing the ream of other cases in other states.
    For the second time now, Hispanic is not a race.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craw...Election_Board

You’re also wrong, Scotus ruled 6-3. Look up the structure of the judiciary if you still think some local ruling outweighs the Supreme Court

10+ Year Old Account
    For the second time now, Hispanic is not a race.
    Ethnicity, then. Bigotry is still bigotry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craw...Election_Board

You’re also wrong, Scotus ruled 6-3. Look up the structure of the judiciary if you still think some local ruling outweighs the Supreme Court
    Which is totally not what I said, but okay. Reading comprehension is not a conservative strongpoint.

Ethnicity, then. Bigotry is still bigotry.

Which is totally not what I said, but okay. Reading comprehension is not a conservative strongpoint.
    Hispanic is not an ethnicity either, keep grasping.

Hispanic isn’t a race, However your assumption that Hispanic people are all the same race is racist.
    Hispanic is an ethnicity, and racism refers to prejudice against a race or ethnicity. Thus, using a judge’s ethnicity to disqualify their rulings is textbook racism on your part. Don’t pretend to lecture people in this forum. You’ve embarrassed yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

The U.S. Census Bureau deems Hispanic to be an ethnicity. Again, refrain from embarrassing yourself with your thinly-veiled racism.

Amazing that mods refuse to take action against racist trolls in this forum.

What?

Hispanic is an ethnicity and is recognized by the US government as such, and you can be racist against an ethnicity.

- - - Updated - - -

Hispanic is an ethnicity, and racism refers to prejudice against a race or ethnicity. Thus, using a judge’s ethnicity to disqualify their rulings is textbook racism on your part. Don’t pretend to lecture people in this forum. You’ve embarrassed yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

The U.S. Census Bureau deems Hispanic to be an ethnicity. Again, refrain from embarrassing yourself with your thinly-veiled racism.

Amazing that mods refuse to take action against racist trolls in this forum.
    welp this is what I get for delaying a post lol, what they said.