Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Speed of Light Human Travel Possible?

Or rather, do you think it will be possible for humans to travel at light speed any time in the near future?
    @Eleccybubb thoughts?
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2017-12-14 at 11:43 PM.

I don't know, but I get car sick on long drives so I don't think I am too excited about going at light speed... *puke*

10+ Year Old Account
    The Borg will be here soon so we better

I'm just a pleb. However, I don't see how you could generate enough energy for a complex cluster of matter, one specifically designed to support some blood and bone creatures, to move faster than a photon.

Can we create a nano-bot that's small enough to get somewhere close enough to the speed of light to travel somewhere very distant and collect data, then come back? Let's see if we can even do that first.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2017-12-14 at 11:43 PM.

Unless some new discovery pops up, we'll never hit SOL.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Conventionally? No way - no chance

15+ Year Old Account
    Not in the near future, but yes I do. They already have a theoretical way of doing it, by bending space infront and behind the traveling object.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Not in the near future, but yes I do. They already have a theoretical way of doing it, by bending space infront and behind the traveling object.
    Might as well just say "with magic". Because it's like saying if I could just alter time I could pick the lottery numbers. We're far more likely to figure out the energy required part before we can bend space-time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    "bending space"... sorry but Interstellar was just a fictional movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Or rather, do you think it will be possible for humans to travel at light speed any time in the near future?
    @Eleccybubb thoughts?
    In theory we already can. The problem lies in TRAVELLING at that speed. A single speck of space dust would be enough to destroy any kind of spacecraft we possess, so we'd need to also develop shields or a deflector dish before we could even try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Might as well just say "with magic". Because it's like saying if I could just alter time I could pick the lottery numbers. We're far more likely to figure out the energy required part before we can bend space-time.
    Not really... Go back 200 years and ask how people would be able to fly through the skies.. they'd probably say with magic....

"bending space"... sorry but Interstellar was just a fictional movie.
    but based one some solid hypothesis and theories. And while many things in the movie were too off, it is not as baseless as many people think. The most stupid thing in the movie was actually fact, they were able to exists on some planet so close to black hole - not whole time travelling mambo jambo.

Honestly Jay I have absolutely no clue on this topic mate. Sorry.

Science was never my strong suit in school.

I mean in theory sure I guess but no way could anything we have at the moment handle that speed.

Traveling at the speed of light is too damn slow!

Conventionally, we can not for multiple reasons. The amount of energy it requires to just get near the speed of light is astronomically high. To actually hit it requires an infinite amount of energy. But something like the Alcubierre drive might be able to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
    Last edited by Danuru; 2017-12-15 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Pretty much this.

The nearest star other than our sun is in the Alpha Centauri system, at 4.2 light years away. And that's just in our back yard. Considering the visible universe is 13.000.000.000 light years big.... We not only need to get faster than speed of light if we want to do any significant exploring, we need to get a LOT faster than the speed of light, by a factor of billions.

And reaching the speed of light takes an infinite amount of energy as it stands right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    That's why scientists increased the speed of light in 2208.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    We're far more likely to figure out the energy required part before we can bend space-time.
    I mean... You're technically right. Einstein has already figured out the energy requirement, but said requirement is impossible to achieve. Where as bending space time, while we probably won't figure that out for another thousand years, does not take an impossibly high amount of energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

@Eleccybubb thoughts?
    If they can discover a way to generate negative energy and generate it reliably and cheaply, yes, it's possible to technically travel faster than light via something called an Alcubierre drive. NASA is in fact looking into this, and the man in charge is called Harold "Sonny" White. He's done a few talks about it that's out on youtube.

If its theoretical possible then i believe mankind will get there and achieve it one day

I doubt i will be alive to see it though

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, but I think we will eventually get to a point where artificial life extension and high speed (like 1% the speed of light) will allow us to journey to nearby stars in decades/centuries.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-12-15 at 12:21 AM.