Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How I beat the prot paladin mage tower guide

So I have completed all 36 mage tower challenges and I can say without a doubt the absolute hardest is the prot paladin one. The simple reason being the more hp the boss has the more rng involved. Now I beat some of the tank ones in literally 3-5 tries. The demon hunter and monk ones are stupid easy and I have no idea how to even play those specs (monk gets an auto-win pet that does all the work ur just a dps.) The prot paladin one took me almost 8-9 hours straight and maybe close to 80-90 attempts who even knows. I had many 1-5 mil wipes just one gcd off killing it. So how did I make it as easy as possible?

First of all talents:
    Blessed hammer
    First Avenger
    Fist of Justice
    Cavalier
    Hand of the Protector
    Consecrated Ground
    Last Defender

So the big difference is Last Defender instead of Seraphim why? if u clump the adds on the boss and dps it u get a pretty big dmg increase. Seraphim just fell flat for me I know many people used it but it's not as good imo.

Consumables and Gear:
    Legendaries I only have two on most of my characters besides my main since i have 12. So I had pryaz and the retribution divine storm chest which does nothing but Legendaries don't matter much. What matters is using the heirloom strength trinket from WoD Gronntooth War Horn. When u kill the eyes and stack the adds and keep killing them u can have a 75%+ uptime on this so that's bascially a straight 10% dmg boost on the bosses which is huge!

Bear Tartre Food is something people know about and when u kill a mob u get a speed boost so def use that. Beside that a strength flask and defile rune if u want to but I didn't need it. My ilvl was about 917 equipping the Gronntooth and 923 without no tier or good trinkets. Lastly Goblin Glider no matter how good you think you are just take it and use it you can make 1 mistake and be knocked off it's a life saver. On the attempt I killed it I never got knocked off but still use it.

Strategy:

Phase 1:

So the big problem is the infernals right? Well the strategy I found to almost NEVER getting knocked off is constantly running in a circle and jumping. It sounds silly but If you keep jumping and circling the boss you will most likely dodge all their strikes. You can turn your back to the adds, to Kruul, to the infernals it doesn't matter. Do NOT treat it like normal tanking with good positioning just KEEP MOVING and JUMPING. Jumping is really important in P2 because u can potentially save yourself a tick or two of the goop and if you always keep moving you can avoid it. I avoided SO much damage by doing this in P2.

The next issue is the nether horror adds and how to pick them up and deal with the infernals at the same time. Wherever velen is just drop a consecration on him when the adds come out and run away from any infernals the adds will automatically come to you and you can cleave them with the boss with Last Defender's buff + the Gronntooth trinket constantly staying up. When you get too many stacks just use an orb. Orbs actually despawn so it's better to use them then try to save them. I went into p2 with no orbs. It's better to do more DPS then try to be clever and save orbs.

The eyes either avenger shield them or judgement + shield of the righteousness. People say to ignore them but that's a bad idea because you will be overloaded. Plus with this strategy it can constantly keep up the 10% dmg buff and Strength from Gronntooth.

The stacking debuff decay, let it go till 6-9 and when it has 7 seconds ish left just stun the boss and go kill an eye or consecrate where the adds will come out and don't be afraid to avenger shield the adds to get them a little low so their debuff doesnt get to high. You really dont need to silence the boss too much only at important points when the debuffs get high otherwise throw around ur avenger shield at eyes or nether horrors.

Now Kruul and P2:

So when he lands having adds is actually a good thing because of last defender but don't worry if u have them or not! Unlike other specs where they cast their aoe. The goal with Kruul is to kite him in a circle around the place not in the middle and constantly move and jump. Do not go near any infernals and be ready to interrupt. Now the other reason Last Defender is so good is u can spam Shield of the Righteousness and pre-soak his annihilate while moving to avoid the green aoe.

So I had 5 annihilate my prot paladin is actually my LOWEST geared toon but I don't know if you can only have four maybe with mythic gear.

How I soaked:

So first rule is whenever an annihilate comes up make sure you are topped off with yourself heal or an orb. The second rule is to always pre-use shield of the righteouness. The reason is he can stomp u and cast the annihilate if ur constantly moving u can mostly dodge the aoe but don't have time to ALSO shield of the the righteousness.

1st Shield of the Righteousness
    2nd Shield of the Righteousness
    3rd Guardian of Kings + Shield of the Righteousness
    4th Argent Defender + Shield of the Righteousness (even with this let's say an add hits you and then he stomps you could die so always shield!) and after defender use urself heal or even lay on hands u can use an orb and stun to delay the 5th for 30 seconds
    5th Blessing of Protection

And he should be dead shortly after!

I hope this helps you guys get it I know it's the hardest one but if you constantly keep moving and jump the parts you struggle on should become easy and then with good RNG on the orbs you should be able to get it! Good Luck

Great explanations of how you did things!

Worth tacking on. Leave an orb up during the Kruul phase, in case you manage to screw up the interrupt. Using the orb removes his debuff on you (Which causes him to heal when he does damage to you, so you want that gone ASAP).

Also, keep SotR up at all costs. So many deaths I had were because I screwed up using it on the little adds and took too much damage direction that could have been reduced drastically (Especially with how many times you can accidentally step into the first boss's HP debuff zone while running circles).

Lastly, I hated the fact that the fight wouldn't end immediately during the Kruul phase if you died, you'd have to wait til he killed Velen. Ended up being a blessing though, wiped when the boss had like 50k hp, and the demon hunter NPC managed to kill him. Still got credit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Ended up being a blessing though...
    /grin

hehe
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Lastly, I hated the fact that the fight wouldn't end immediately during the Kruul phase if you died, you'd have to wait til he killed Velen. Ended up being a blessing though, wiped when the boss had like 50k hp, and the demon hunter NPC managed to kill him. Still got credit.
    Ah must be nice. Back in April, I died when Kruul had less than one million health and everything played out and I go no credit. I even submitted a ticket with screenshots. This was the reply I got "After reading through this ticket, I understand that you were doing the challenge quest The Highlord's Return. You defeated Kruul, however you died a few seconds prior to that happening, as it was really the NPC's that finished him off."

Failure dection pylons help too. If you're lucky you might get a second chance.

Deleted
    I finished the challenge on my Blood DK lately (item level about 915) and wonder if I have any chance to get the Prot Paladin done. My item level is about 906 at the moment and will probably increase a bit until the next time the tower is up, but will surely be reduced by the heirloom trinket again. I have legendary legs and Sephuz at 970 item level and some concordance levels in my prot artifact. I don't have raid gear, so no set bonus or trinkets for me. But did not have any on my DK either, and have already a grasp on the basics of the encounter. I found it very helpful to save some healing orbs for the end phase of the encounter, to keep Kruul and the adds stunlocked for a while.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2017-11-02 at 10:06 AM.

80% of my failures have been because when the Infernals respawn and are near, they instantly start casting their knockback and it doesn't show their animation or ground telegraph until their respawn animation has ended, wich is fucking annoying.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

What I did was ran in with trinkets, pot and Seraphim at the start and burned him down interrupting and stunning as much as i could until the adds spawned.

Every time adds spawned, I ran to Velen and used an orb to stun them all, hit them with some hammers and ran to the boss and dps'd him down. I didn't kill any eyes.

I only used the orbs when adds spawned. When Kruul finally came down, blow Seraphim, 2nd pot and lust and basically did the same. I didn't use any orbs unless things started to get hairy.

All in all, I thought the prot paladin one was the easiest one of warrior, paladin and druid (no good legendaries on druid). Being able to interrupt him so much helped a TON and paladins don't have to deal with the adds doing their aoe. It all takes practice. I died the most to getting knocked off or missing an interrupt when I had to many stacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I finished the challenge on my Blood DK lately (item level about 915) and wonder if I have any chance to get the Prot Paladin done. My item level is about 906 at the moment and will probably increase a bit until the next time the tower is up, but will surely be reduced by the heirloom trinket again. I have legendary legs and Sephuz at 970 item level and some concordance levels in my prot artifact. I don't have raid gear, so no set bonus or trinkets for me. But did not have any on my DK either, and have already a grasp on the basics of the encounter. I found it very helpful to save some healing orbs for the end phase of the encounter, to keep Kruul and the adds stunlocked for a while.
    The legs will help a lot, as will sephuz, its procs a lot for paladins. Being only 906 might be harder, but people say the paladin challenge is the hardest one. I personally don't think so, but if you have done the fight (as you said you did on the DK) then it shouldn't be that hard. Its all about getting to know the fight imo.

I just did the run around strat for Inquisitor with Lego Boots and Bear Tartare + using Last Defender and omg did it make this challenge easier. Got it in 3 trys after. Thanks a lot for the tips.
    Last edited by Deathrange; 2017-11-18 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrange View Post
    I just did the run around strat for Inquisitor with Lego Boots and Bear Tartare + using Last Defender and omg did it make this challenge easier. Got it in 3 trys after. Thanks a lot for the tips.
    Yep, same. Got it the first try I used Bear Tartare + Last Defender. Absolutely the way to go for this one, boys.

Haven't seen this in any other strat I've read. Good job, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogrin View Post
    Ah must be nice. Back in April, I died when Kruul had less than one million health and everything played out and I go no credit. I even submitted a ticket with screenshots. This was the reply I got "After reading through this ticket, I understand that you were doing the challenge quest The Highlord's Return. You defeated Kruul, however you died a few seconds prior to that happening, as it was really the NPC's that finished him off."
    This is how I completed the holy challenge on the first day, I died as the boss was on about 500k health and I got credit by going to Dalaran. Maybe it works differently with the prot one and you need to be teleported back to the inn in Dalaran for the credit.

10+ Year Old Account
    So am I screwed if I don't got the WoD heirloom trinket and sephuz?

When all else fail it can be (mostly) overgeared. Got Sephuz and Tyelca within a week (Tyelca was sitting in my mailbox, boy was I happy) and used less than 2 hours on it (~933 ilvl).
    Managed to burst down P1 boss to 50-60% before hitting 7 stacks, out reset in again, always Judgement on the eyes. Sometimes I got him down before 2nd Infernal spawned, but I usually held of so that Wings would come off CD.
    Even got Kruul down before 3rd Annihilate, mostly by chain stunning through orbs and hammer (Fist of Justice > Repentance for me). Held off bubble if I let the debuff through.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...ng-nether/azal

I dread doing it on my Warrior/Druid as Paladins just have so many anti-"whoops, let that one through"-mechanics + shitty legendaries on those

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lushious View Post
    When all else fail it can be (mostly) overgeared. Got Sephuz and Tyelca within a week (Tyelca was sitting in my mailbox, boy was I happy) and used less than 2 hours on it (~933 ilvl).
    Managed to burst down P1 boss to 50-60% before hitting 7 stacks, out reset in again, always Judgement on the eyes. Sometimes I got him down before 2nd Infernal spawned, but I usually held of so that Wings would come off CD.
    Even got Kruul down before 3rd Annihilate, mostly by chain stunning through orbs and hammer (Fist of Justice > Repentance for me). Held off bubble if I let the debuff through.
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...ng-nether/azal

I dread doing it on my Warrior/Druid as Paladins just have so many anti-"whoops, let that one through"-mechanics + shitty legendaries on those
    Kruul and the caster have pretty much half health for warriors, DH's, DK's and druid.

Also it's mainly just learning the fight. I was 923 with Prydaz and consecration ring and it took me about 7 tries using Bear Tartare.

This is great info; Prot Pally is the next one I need to do once I get him geared to ~920.

def helps and I can get to kruul more now.. but getting to 3 or 4 annihilates and still > 10% >.< /sigh.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Might also get around to doing these over the holidays when i have some spare time.

I wonder how hard these will be for someone at ilvl 950ish, but without experience playing prot.
    Legs+Sephuz are still the go-to legendaries, right?

Prot challanges are least gear dependant imo, because of the amount of one shot mechanics. Obviously gear makes it so much easier but you probably will have to learn the whole fight and know how to deal with mechanics so I'd say it can take you up to an hour to finish it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarado View Post
    So am I screwed if I don't got the WoD heirloom trinket and sephuz?
    no, i did it with aggramar's stride and the blessing wrist