Poll: Would you be happy with this?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Nope. launch patch. Same launch experience. Events happening EXACTLY like they did in '04. Legendary neck dropping for someone in MC, prefereably the SAME PERSON WITHE SAME NAME AND GUILD. NOTHING CAN BE ANY DIFFERENT. I NEED THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE DOWN TO THE SECOND. HHHNNNGYAAAHHHHJAGHH*((*.

*panting* ...

Whew.

Okay but seriously I'd love a 1.12 patch and a release schedule on content like raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Happy? More like content. I'd play it, it'd be fun, mostly due to an actual population. But i'd feel a bit disappointed in Blizzard, because I know they could have done patch by patch release.

- - - Updated - - -

Vanilla was a lot more than 1.12. The biggest thing is talent changes over the course of time, starting at like 1.6 each patch had talent changes for 1-2 classes, up to 1.12. Some specs even got almost complete redesigns. The raids are already going to be easy, full talent changes that weren't in place when the raids released would make them even easier. They could easily squash big bugs, but honestly I'd love to see the return of Captain Placeholder, if only for a bit.

The world also changes a lot over time, Silithus had nothing in it for awhile, early 30s leveling was hell do to lack of quests, if it's 1.12 from launch people won't have a chance to get the early epic mounts before they're removed. MC use to drop t1 and t2, with t2 having generic models, once they added BWL they moved all the t2 to that and gave it unique models. I could go on with big changes, but I think you get the point. Going to 1.12 skips way too much history and change, something that keeps the game interesting. Most people interested in this have already played a 1.12 server, Blizzard can do better than that, and you should want them to.
    I don't want broken talents. 1.12 is perfect for me. The world can be changed without changing the talents and mechanics.

I have a theory that these people who want 1.12 from start have only played on private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    I have a theory that these people who want 1.12 from start have only played on private servers.
    And that hypothesis would probably not hold up to evidence.

I do not want to play a paladin for months on end where the top retribution talent is Blessing of Kings. The revamps were revamps for a reason. It made classes that were nigh unplayable (hence why warrior and warlock got changed so fast in Classic) playable.

I am not a Vanilla Snob by any stretch, but I don't prefer too many QoL changes as many of the QoL changes made WoW no longer an RPG, but a MMO Action game.

Yes and no.

The balance was fine in 1.12 which will make most people happy presumably, but that's also exactly the point. The bad balance early on is part of the true Vanilla progression. Molten Core and Blackwing Lair with 1.12 specs and abilities is beyond trivial. Tanks won't lose aggro, dps will do more damage and healers will heal better.

Honestly, i'd rather go through the patch cycle as it was at release.

original beta or bust. windows xp or bust

if you like playing on windows 10, then go play retail

Quote Originally Posted by Grofatso View Post
    All raids open. No, just no.

Progressive raid releases is what is needed.
    Why is that needed? What’s the problem with having all raids open and letting people progress at their own pace?

1.12 is the patch they put out 2 weeks before TBC launched. It was the patch to make everything easy so people could finish up the old content, that and they rebalanced all the gear making it more powerful as well.

Why start at the end of vanilla? Why not start at the beginning with patch 1.1 like everyone did when vanilla launched?

If you want 1.12 we might as well start with TBC.

Keep in mind too that if we do start with 1.1 after a year and eight monts we'll reach 1.12 just like you want.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

1.12 wasn't exactly the 'vanilla experience' to me. I'm not one of these people obsessed with sub numbers but.. fairly certainly the majority of vanilla players' experiences didn't start in 1.12.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bythedar View Post
    And that hypothesis would probably not hold up to evidence.

I do not want to play a paladin for months on end where the top retribution talent is Blessing of Kings. The revamps were revamps for a reason. It made classes that were nigh unplayable (hence why warrior and warlock got changed so fast in Classic) playable.

I am not a Vanilla Snob by any stretch, but I don't prefer too many QoL changes as many of the QoL changes made WoW no longer an RPG, but a MMO Action game.
    So you don't want vanilla, is what you're saying.

I think 1.12.1 was the best Vanilla had to offer, so I would be perfectly happy with it. That being said, for the sake of authenticity and the true Vanilla experience, I would also be happy with a true Vanilla patch progression, minus the bugs.
    Classic WoW Content Creator - Daily Streams and Bi-Weekly Videos!
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/staysafetv
    YouTube: https://youtube.com/staysafetv

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGhoul View Post
    Why is that needed? What’s the problem with having all raids open and letting people progress at their own pace?
    Because if all raids are available at once, people will burn out way faster.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    So you don't want vanilla, is what you're saying.
    I hope you're planning on buying a 2002 desktop PC and a 12" CRT monitor and a DSL modem, or else you're not playing the True Vanilla Experience(TM).

And you better not be using any addons either, just the default UI.

Also, no wowhead or mmo-champion, only old Thottbot pages.

purists are hilarious
    Last edited by anon5123; 2017-12-16 at 12:21 AM.

I want them to start at 1.0 and slowly release patches. That's what I'll be happy with.

If they start at 1.12, I'll go "Meh" but generally still be okay with it. I'll be more okay with it if they slowly open raids, but still give an obligatory "meh".
    Last edited by Zafire; 2017-12-16 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Because if all raids are available at once, people will burn out way faster.

I hope you're planning on buying a 2002 desktop PC and a 12" CRT monitor and a DSL modem, or else you're not playing the True Vanilla Experience(TM).

And you better not be using any addons either, just the default UI.

Also, no wowhead or mmo-champion, only old Thottbot pages.

purists are hilarious
    Lol. 'Purist'.

Vanilla had lots of addons, btw. Most features in modern WoW started as addons in vanilla. Threat meters, the entirety of the 'adventure guide', quest tracking, healbot addons.. addons in vanilla actually did MORE, gameplay-wise, than most do on live. Not sure you played, or if you did, you didn't play seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    Lol. 'Purist'.
    Yes, when you are making shitty, smug claims of "hurr you don't want vanilla then" over tiny differences in opinion, that makes you a purist.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yes, when you are making shitty, smug claims of "hurr you don't want vanilla then" over tiny differences in opinion, that makes you a purist.
    I don't really care how 'pure' the released product is, but if you're asking for the classes to be the way they were in BC essentially then.. yeah, that's not what vanilla was. I'm not saying I was 'better', which is what you seem to be implying. It wasn't, but that's the way it was.

I also reiterate that if you think 'addons weren't a major part of vanilla wow' then you have no idea what you're talking about in general w/r/t vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Would you be happy if the server is 1.12 based, no alterations, as close to this release as possible, all raids open, no new content ever?
    I would like to see it go through the same patching as the original Vanilla. The only thing is maybe speed up the patches a little.

After the whole Vanilla patch cycle is finished- they should re-evaluate based on what they have learned (and how it has evolved) since Classic WOW launch and then decided what to do next. There would only be three options really:

1) Do a Season 2 and restart the patch cycle.
    2) leave the game as it is at that point.
    3) Take the game in a tangent direction to current WOW. If they do this, they should try to keep the exploration/ difficulty feel of Vanilla with the new stuff.
    I wouldn't mind some new, old world difficult content that tied into the original vanilla.....

I would like to see the game go through at least one, full Vanilla patch cycle before they start messing with it though. So that players that never got to experience Vanilla can see what it was about (or as close to it as possible).

Not to play devils' advocate, but I think some (possibly most of) of the charm (and good feelings) associated with vanilla was caused by the time period in which it launched. It is a sort of "magic" that happens when the right product launches at exactly the right time.

Problem is, it is almost impossible to recreate that and most effort to do so fail. That is why I give this new venture only a 50/50 chance to succeed. I think Blizzard gives it even less, that is why they were resistant to it and reluctant to do it. I think they changed their mind because they found a way to make it profitable even if it fails (they are a business after all and have exhibited a lot of savy over the years).

I hope it succeeds though and I plan to play it if the pricing model is reasonable, regardless of whether they keep it "pure" or change it some. No "vanilla" crates please Blizzard........

Since people keep bringing up the paladin bitching, btw, since it seems a running theme that 'BUFF PALADINS' is the whine topic du jour of every classic forum out there - changing balance for one class has broad implications across the entirety of the game, because content wasn't tuned for 7.3.5 WoW or even 2.0 WoW class mechanics. Paladins were also only available to one faction in vanilla, and by making them better than they were, you're going to throw faction balance off even more than the game mechanics already make it (dwarf priest, paladin already make the margin of error for your average alliance raid wider).

The other hybrids are in essentially the same poor state - druid is arguably worse. If you changed all of those classes and specs, you're
    a) making content tuned for vanilla raiders even more trivial and
    b) inviting ten more years of people bitching and whining about VANILLA SERVERS because when the servers die they'll say 'WELL THEY CHANGED [X] SO IT WASN'T REAL VANILLA, IF IT HAD BEEN REAL VANILLA IT WOULD HAVE GOTTEN 10 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS AND ENDED WORLD HUNGER AND UNIFIED KOREA.'

i mean i'd be fine

but i rather have it start from the very beginning

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd not be particularly happy/satisfied if they just dumped 1.12.1 with no progression cycle or anything at all to keep the vanilla/classic experience decently intact, Vanilla/Classic had 2+ years of progression and content releases not counting for overhauls and completely revamping class/spec/talents.

I'd still play and pay for a 1.12 realm that was just dropped on us with no progression but it would be very disappointing that fan-made-non-profit private servers have been able to achieve a somewhat close blizzlike experience of 1.1->1.12 progression not accounting for class/talent/spec changes and that a multi-billion dollar AAA quality company like Blizzard would be somehow incapable of doing so.

I'm not completely against them releasing us with a 1.12 patch but delaying the content to simulate patch/content releases however I personally think that trying to find either a mid-ground patch for example 1.8->1.9 or some other patch may be a better solution until we reach a better point in progression since starting on 1.1 would be a massive undertaking for any experienced company however would be closer to the original vanilla experience and would probably satisfy me the most.