Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Is Final Fantasy 13 one of the worst games ever made in all seriousness

You know looking back at this franchise's great history barring FF2, it's honestly hard to believe FF13 exists. Not its mediocre, slightly polished sequel or Lightning Returns (which is strangely a completely different beast) I mean the original 13th mainline game.

It really is a horrible fucking corridor simulator mangled with overly long, cheesy cutscenes and its second half that can be described as a long series of imbalanced battles with an illusion of exploration through a barren overworld that exists for nothing but to get you to more fights.

Honestly there's nothing good that can be said about the game other than some of its music. When you look at almost every other FF game, namely 14 and 15 with how hard SE works to salvage them now, FF13 can't just be called a disgrace to the franchise name, it might as well be one of the worst games ever based on its total lack of redeeming qualities.

What can you really say went right at all? Sure it's reviled by pretty much everyone nowadays, but I wonder how it even got positive reception during its initial release.

The series has been degenerating since FF IX

Nowhere even near it.

Now I like the FF series and I'll happily admit 13 is not the best. But there are far worse games made imo.

Rift, Big Rigs, Daikatana, No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, Bubsy 3D, nearly any LJN made game for NES, The Crow City of Angels, Superman 64 and so on.

Now the worst FF game? That's easy. The original 1.0 iteration of 14. Nothing in the FF series is as bad or even close to FF14 1.0.

I think 15 is the worse game mechanically, 13 is a mess of production. I can enjoy the combat and soundtrack of 13 while 15's is a snoozefest. Conversely Lightnings creator is a fucking crazy person and nearly ruined the brand by turning her into a 'north korean supreme leader' level propaganda character nobody liked no matter how they bruteforced what is literally cloud strife with breasts and a miniskirt. Like its literally the beta model for cloud from advent children in a wig, and he is in love with her.

I would still rather play it than 15 though, but thats like saying you would rather eat dominos than papa johns when proper gourmet pizza exists. Both a dogshit compared to anything between 4 and 9.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Damn you took it way back, I woulda gone with Superman 64 since I doubt most here even know about ET for Atari like us old folk.
    Nah loads of people or anyone who loves retro gaming will know about ET and part of the effect it had on the video game crash among other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Nowhere even near it.

Now I like the FF series and I'll happily admit 13 is not the best. But there are far worse games made imo.

Rift, Big Rigs, Daikatana, No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, Bubsy 3D, nearly any LJN made game for NES, The Crow City of Angels, Superman 64 and so on.

Now the worst FF game? That's easy. The original 1.0 iteration of 14. Nothing in the FF series is as bad or even close to FF14 1.0.
    You'd really go as far as to say Andromeda is now a contender for worst games ever made?

I really liked 10. It took some patience and getting used to on my part, but it's now one of my favorites especially cuz of the battle system in that game reminded me of FF Tactics.
    Only issue with 10 is the same I found with 8. You could really make the game absolutely faceroll.

Hastega and Quick Hit along with Break Damage Limit made Penance a cakewalk. Or any superboss for that matter. Just like Aura/Invincible made Omega a cakewalk in 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    You'd really go as far as to say Andromeda is now a contender for worst games ever made?
    Yes. It absolutely dumped on the Sci Fi genre for me and it's a genre I actually admire a lot. I'd say one of the worst of 2017 but of all time nowhere near. That honor goes to Daikatana for me. But alas this is getting off topic and into another game so I'll leave it at that.

But as I said FF14 1.0 is the worst in the series of that games in my opinion.

I enjoyed 13, but the forced switching characters throughout the story irked me a bit. I kinda liked the combat, it was a new type of turn based-ness for me at the time. I thought the story was a bit weird but I did enjoy it. I tried to go back and play through it again recently but the long tutorial kinda eh'd me away.

Ikari warriors, Bayou Billy, and Friday the 13th (nes) all say hi. That and most of the games I played on my Atari 2600 as a kid.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

it's a quite meh FF game but worst game of all time?

that's basically like saying oh a paper cut is the worst pain ever, then try endure a year of torture by sick and twisted people and suddenly oh you see how your statement is pure silliness.

I really liked 10. It took some patience and getting used to on my part, but it's now one of my favorites especially cuz of the battle system in that game reminded me of FF Tactics.
    To each his own, 10 certainly wasn't the worst

7+ Year Old Account
    Just for it's story i would say yes it's one of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I think 15 is the worse game mechanically, 13 is a mess of production. I can enjoy the combat and soundtrack of 13 while 15's is a snoozefest. Conversely Lightnings creator is a fucking crazy person and nearly ruined the brand by turning her into a 'north korean supreme leader' level propaganda character nobody liked no matter how they bruteforced what is literally cloud strife with breasts and a miniskirt. Like its literally the beta model for cloud from advent children in a wig, and he is in love with her.

I would still rather play it than 15 though, but thats like saying you would rather eat dominos than papa johns when proper gourmet pizza exists. Both a dogshit compared to anything between 4 and 9.
    Completely agree. I didn't care at all for the characters story in 13 but rather enjoyed it's mechanics. Whereas 15 the combat feels like a cluster F and they build up wanting me to care about the characters only to fail to deliver.

FF13 got 2 sequels so clearly is was a great game

I mean if you like rando battles while you travel in a tunnel its a great game.

I have a massive hateboner for this game and even I won't call it the worst or even one of the worst games of all time. I'd hesitate to call it the worst in the series, as I have not actually played all of the FF games (even the main numbered ones).
    Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    That is a HORRIBLE metric by which to measure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jstnw89 View Post
    Well with that logic, where are the FF6 sequels since majority of people (Though I'm not one of them) say it's the best game ever in the series.

But yeah, no, FF13 is not the worst game ever. But I can see it being the worst Final Fantasy main series game, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

Dude, you didn't even touch the tip of the iceberg with your description. Motomu is fucking deranged.

I've never played any of the Lightening games, but yeah, they look fucking terrible. Final Fantasy 10 was a massive tonal shift for the series overall, and it's a tonal change that continues to grow more prominent even to this day. After 10, each game started to get stranger and more abstract and stuff like Final Fantasy 10-2 happened, and it's been pretty much downhill from there.

The whole franchise started to weaken, really. With FF7 turning into the milky-wilky cashcow starbaby of the extended franchise. Awful sequel/prequels, a downright rotten fucking film and a soon-to-be stinky remake straight from the creative geniuses that brought you five different games about Lightening. Oh boi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift and MEA were both above average games with too much hype. Rift probably would have beat WoW if they released near the same time. Its was one of the best mmos until its 2nd or third expansion.