Poll: Do you enjoy them?

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Do you enjoy complicated rotations or just say you do because you're supposed to?

Most people wouldn't want to admit if they enjoy easier specs because you're supposed to like challenging rotations. So what do you think?

Deleted
    I enjoy complex rotations like MoP feral but i also like playing fun and easy ones like ret in wod

I like easier specs. It makes it easier to focus on leading / spacial awareness / Netflix / talking in Discord / whatever. A rigid DPS rotation that feels like I'm trying to play a piano is part of why I didn't care for FFXIV.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I prefer thinking ahead specs to reacting to proc specs.
    I prefer to always have an option on something to do.

Not too sure how many DPS specs are plan ahead kind, but I'm loving my Arcane Mage at the moment.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I don't think I could really divide it between simple and complicated. It's not as helpful or objective but my biggest concern is how the rotation feels or flows.

Simple rotations can be smooth and gratifying, allowing you to focus more on an encounter while still feeling impactful and that's fun, but a bad simple rotation can just be boring and unengaging if it doesn't give you much to do.

Likewise complex rotations can encourage snap decision making and clever ability usage to maximize DPS and that's fun, but some complex rotations come down to a lot of timer watching and clunky ability management that turns the spec into more of a chore than anything else.

So... both? Sometimes? Depending on the specifics of how it plays.

7+ Year Old Account
    I genuinely believe in "more = more". "Less is more" is complete bullshit.

Edit:
    My first toon was a warlock at the beginning of TBC. For the first couple months at lvl 70 all I did was tore people apart as an affliction lock. Goddammit I enjoyed the hell out of the game in those days. Then a few of my friends convinced me to join a "casual" raiding guild. Started doing Karazhan. My DPS with DoTs was absolute shit compared to just spamming shadow bolt. After a raid or two I'd rather have been poking my fucking eyes out with a fork. Boooooooring. Enter Resto Druid: TBC resto was my favorite spec/class combo to ever play in WoW.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-12-17 at 09:04 AM.

Deleted
    I hate complicated rotations! I mean, if the raids were like old times with 0 - 1 mechanic, sure, but nowadays, fuck no.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like them somwhere in the middle, it allows me to keep an eye on things, use my utility, and still perform my rotation at maximum without boring me to death.

Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    I enjoy complex rotations like MoP feral but i also like playing fun and easy ones like ret in wod
    Like this for example... Ret was "easy" in WoD, but it had a lot of procs and split second decisions to make in the FCFS, it was just complicated enough to be pretty fun, because of the very last second reactionary playstyle, but not so much that it sucked the fun out of it... It's far easier now, there's no more FCFS, there's a clear, basically static rotation unless you're using DP, I hate that. It's too easy now, too predictable, and it's boring.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-12-17 at 08:25 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is ww monk considered complicated? cos that's all i play atm so have no real reference. Played DH for a while and that certainly seemed like the basic end of the spectrum.
    Ily mmoc

I like easy, relaxing rotation.

Spamming button after button over and over is just ... eh I don't know, I don't think that is where the focus should be.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the number of mechanics that you need to deal with in raids and the rest, distractions on the floor, the need to be on the move fairly constantly if you're ranged I'm not overly fond of complicated priority systems with varying degrees of procs and the rest. Blizzard has difficulty in smoothing out the timings so that you're not always bumping into flow destruction.

I truly admire players that can manage all of that and excel and will happily give them the props they deserve but it's not really my idea of fun.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Very few these days, it's moving more towards the twitchy kind of gameplay reacting to random proccs or things coming off cooldown randomly. Affliction and Balance are the only ones I can think of that are truly proactive and not even an ounce of reactive, but both are dot specs, I'm not too fond of dot specs myself.
    Shadow priest (also a dot class) also got no reactive gameplay.

To answer your question. I've enjoyed no spec more than I am currently enjoying shadow priest (now that surrender isnt mandatory). Its not a very complex rotation, but heavily punishes you if you make mistakes. Its also very fast, you do a new action practically every gcd. It also really rewards planning ahead when it comes to movement.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not too sure how many DPS specs are plan ahead kind, but I'm loving my Arcane Mage at the moment.
    I know right? Especially in aoe. My finger on arcane explosion is so ready for tendonitis

I prefer easy rotations coupled with a decent arsenal of situational abilities. There are only so many keybinds I can comfortably use, and I'd rather not waste most of them to what basically amounts to a single thing, doing damage. But then again class gameplay was never what drew me to WoW. I play for the story, the world, collecting stuff and spending time with friends. I don't care if the rotation is one spell or mildly challenging, all I expect from it is not to be overtly annoying (like Windwalker, for example).
    Last edited by Coconut; 2017-12-17 at 08:41 AM.

I really learned to appreciate simpler rotations. Simpler is more elegant and makes more sense. Complexity is almost always a sign of inconclusive or problematic design and band-aid. I like simple, intelligent rotations it because they shift the focus back to the GAME as a whole and away from just your character and your GUI.

Which is how it absolutely should be. Many people have a masturbatory and insular way of playing, completely absorbed by the performance of their character and their performance. It's incredibly nerdy and they don't get the big picture at all. Simplicity also has nothing to do with things being "dumbed down", as some people would have you know.

I also have some fancy quotes on the matter, which shall substantiate my claims and make my opinion appear much more legitimate:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Simplicity is the key to brilliance. - Bruce Lee
    Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. - Coco Chanel
    Simplicity is natures first step, and the last of art. - Philip James Bailey

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind complicated rotations, but I do mind them in movement heavy fights, which is most fights.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I really learned to appreciate simpler rotations. Simpler is more elegant and makes more sense. Complexity is almost always a sign of inconclusive or problematic design and band-aid. I like simple, intelligent rotations it because they shift the focus back to the GAME as a whole and away from just your character and your GUI.

Which is how it absolutely should be. Many people have a masturbatory and insular way of playing, completely absorbed by the performance of their character and their performance. It's incredibly nerdy and they don't get the big picture at all. Simplicity also has nothing to do with things being "dumbed down", as some people would have you know.

I also have some fancy quotes on the matter, which shall substantiate my claims and make my opinion appear much more legitimate:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Simplicity is the key to brilliance. - Bruce Lee
    Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. - Coco Chanel
    Simplicity is natures first step, and the last of art. - Philip James Bailey
    This is why checkers is >>>>>>> chess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I genuinely believe in "more = more". "Less is more" is complete bullshit.

Edit:
    My first toon was a warlock at the beginning of TBC. For the first couple months at lvl 70 all I did was tore people apart as an affliction lock. Goddammit I enjoyed the hell out of the game in those days. Then a few of my friends convinced me to join a "casual" raiding guild. Started doing Karazhan. My DPS with DoTs was absolute shit compared to just spamming chaos bolt. After a raid or two I'd rather have been poking my fucking eyes out with a fork. Boooooooring. Enter Resto Druid: TBC resto was my favorite spec/class combo to ever play in WoW.
    Chaos Bolt didn't exist back then. I assume you meant shadow bolt, but how is spamming lifebloom more engaging than spamming shadow bolt?

OT: I prefer simpler, set rotations with a little variation here and there, such as with rogues in previous expansions maintaining SnD and rupture, with variation coming from how many combo points you get. When specs are so complex that it distracts you from the encounters themselves, they take away from the fun, for me. I don't want something brain-dead, but I also don't want to focus on a bunch of random procs the entire time, I find that annoying.
    Last edited by Uoyredrum; 2017-12-17 at 09:05 AM.

I prefer a middle ground. I want to have more than 3-4 buttons but also dislike button bloat such as what you see in FF14 even after Stormblood did a tiny bit of pruning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    Chaos Bolt didn't exist back then. I assume you meant shadow bolt, but how is spamming lifebloom more engaging than spamming shadow bolt?
    Whoops, I did.

Edit:
    I could roll LB on 4 targets, far more interesting than the current incarnation. Smart heals killed the game for me; they were the beginning of the end.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2017-12-17 at 09:37 AM.