Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Which game would you recommend to someone who never played video-games?

Hello, champions, good to see you all, as always!

So, imagine if you were to give a presentation talking about video-games, and you could a game to people that never played a video-game before.

Which game would you recommend?

It's hard to pick one, so let's make it three:

I'd recommend either Phoenix Wright, for those who are more into story, or Donkey Kong Country 2, for those who are more into gameplay.

For a good balance of both I'd recommend Undertale. I've made a lot of friends play it and most of aren't gamers, yet they love it just as much as I do.

And you?

If they’ve somehow never played one ever? Probably a mobile one like Angry Birds. Simple, easy to play, enjoyable, and decent replay ability. Plus a quick time killer in lines.

I've always wondered that if you had to show someone, like some non-tech old person, how cool PC gaming is as a hobby, which game you'd demo to them. It wouldn't be fucking Phoenix Wright or Angry Birds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Portal. Simple controls, good puzzles and it's funny.

Disgaea (any of them) Simple to play, hard to master.

Red Dead Redemption. If you can experience the tale of John Marston and NOT understand how games can be art... It's probably best we don't talk any more.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Probably something like Until Dawn. Very much a movie with gameplay elements that influence the direction of the narrative, with no hard fail states and lots of simplistic mechanics that don't require much familiarity with the medium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls 1, to test their patience/willingness to learn by trial and error and to give them a sense of satisfaction after defeating something.

Rust, showcasing what a PC game not held back by consoles can be and where time, effort, skill, trial and error, and imagination matter.

Then some type of relevant 3D platforming game that replaces the era of N64 3D platformers, possibly Yooka-Laylee or even Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

I'd avoid anything retro for the sake of being retro, anything with loot boxes, and games that are more like experiences rather than games.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-12-18 at 01:36 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Anything Nintendo and if they are young and super new something like Skylander.

That's how I got my GF into gaming and now she plays a bit of everything.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Super Mario 64, how is this even up for discussion?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

New Super Mario Bros 2, because my 5 year old nephew began on that and it was a good introduction.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Battlefront 2 to teach them what it means to have a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Ha! But no, I’m not really sure. I’d probably give them Oblivion. Drop them into a linear tutorial before being kicked out into an open world, having them turn to me and ask “What do I do now?”. I’d tell them to pick a direction and walk to see what they do.

I’d have said Morrowind but then I remember how much that game pissed me off when I first started playing due to not understanding why I was constantly missing.

Let's see...

- Probably 2D, as people not used to videogames will take longer to adapt to a first or third person view in a 3D environment. Good luck teaching your grandparents to play Mario 64 or Portal.

- Mechanics that are easy to learn but have enough depth to keep their interest. No RTS games or RPGs with tons of interconnected systems, no cookie clickers either.

- Depending of the person, a complex story, or one that you need to read and understand to progress could be off-putting. Games with lots of cutscenes or graphic adventures.

- Again, depending of the person, a theme that's too dark or too cartoony could be an immediate red flag. Dark Souls...

I'm going to go with Unravel.

It's 2D, generally simpler than Mario, it has practically no story-telling and it's visually pleasant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Counter Strike
    Mass Effect 1
    Skyrim

7+ Year Old Account
    Metal Gear Solid

Depends heavily on the person, someone like my father I would probably offer a detective point and click with german VO or a heavily story driven walking sim/FMV game, otherwise I know it's doomed to fail , because the language barrier, fast reactions or complex mechanics would otherwise be insurmountable. If someone likes fantasy games like the witcher 3 are obviously starting to become interesting, recommending a space sim to someone who hates scifi also makes no sense. Making THE recommendation is not going to work here probably.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-12-18 at 10:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

This is a good start.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    If someone likes fantasy games like the witcher 3 are obviously starting to become interesting
    As much as i like the game, i do not think is a good choice for someone new to videogames.
    I would start picking something much simpler than a RPG like the witcher 3, it could be a nightmare for someone new to videogames.
    Lol now that i think of it, can you imagine starting videogames with something like divinity original sin 2 or any Dark Souls like game?

To someone who somehow never touched video game?

This fun as hell and relaxing af masterpiece :

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    As much as i like the game, i do not think is a good choice for someone new to videogames.
    I would start picking something much simpler than a RPG like the witcher 3, it could be a nightmare for someone new to videogames.
    Lol now that i think of it, can you imagine starting videogames with something like divinity original sin 2 or any Dark Souls like game?
    If you play it on easy and the person is a huge fantasy fan (and maybe even read the books already) it could work. As I said it depends on the person. Some geriatric who is most likely utterly inept when it comes to tech is probably having a harder time than someone who is younger - like girlfriends .

A jump and run with some story might be better though, but again this is so dependent on the individual. A generic answer is flat out impossible imho.

Deleted
    Skyrim,

Simple controls, massive world to explore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    If you play it on easy and the person is a huge fantasy fan (and maybe even read the books already) it could work. As I said it depends on the person. Some geriatric who is most likely utterly inept when it comes to tech is probably having a harder time than someone who is younger - like girlfriends .

A jump and run with some story might be better though, but again this is so dependent on the individual. A generic answer is flat out impossible imho.
    Lol maybe you are right, but you see i am an old gamer, i started videogames by the very basics of them, by playing space invaders in coin op machines, because it was the only videogame back then.

Also my niece is 10 years old, she has lightning like reflexes for platforms on ipad, i have managed somehow to make her play old raids in wow, and she likes trying the witcher 3, problem is all she does is galloping with the horse and trying to kill deers hitting them with the sword mounted.
    Next time i am gonna try BOTW, i have a feeling she is gonna like that one a lot more.
    Last edited by mmoccf1d2005b5; 2017-12-18 at 12:12 PM.