Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think some type of sandbox-style game could be good, perhaps Skyrim. Gives them a "playground".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Rec-room on VR. We've yet to have anyone say they didn't want one or its so cool or go out and get one the next day. This is a range of young adults to seniors.

I wonder if WOW would grab anyone still.

Manhunt 2, Postal 2, Mortal Kombat X.

As much as I love Elder Scrolls games, seeing those nominated as a recommendation for someone who's never played a video game is a bit much...

I'd nominate the first Super Mario Bros. title, as well as the first Legend of Zelda; both were among games I first learned to play. Both are fairly simple to start off with and ramp up with difficulty as you advance.

For something from more recent memory, I'd go with either of the first two Smash Bros. games. Can't speak for any of the newer entries in that series, since I haven't played them, but the early ones fall into the "easy to learn, hard to master" description.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Anything Nintendo and if they are young and super new something like Skylander.

That's how I got my GF into gaming and now she plays a bit of everything.
    I think someone needs to give To Catch a Predator a call, get Chris Hanson up in this situation.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I'd probably go with Lego Star Wars, Any Pokemon game, and GTA 5/4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    Probably something like Until Dawn. Very much a movie with gameplay elements that influence the direction of the narrative, with no hard fail states and lots of simplistic mechanics that don't require much familiarity with the medium.
    This. My girlfriend has always wanted to play games but never has (nothing not on the phone that is). She LOVED this one and says she still thinks about it.

One thing to think about is someone who hasn't played is going to have a HARD time with the controller and anything that involves using both sticks plus the buttons.

Outside of Until Dawn, so far she has enjoyed Mortal Kombat and Diablo 3 the most.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Little Big Plane 1-2-3. Very bright and frienly game with easy controls that will let you play together.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Tomb Raider Legend or some Prince of Persia or Heroes of Might and Magic III/V
    How did he die ?

His death was caused by pneumonia induced by daggers to the chest.Repeatedly.

If the person has never played games you sadly give them generic shit like CoD or GTAV. Be realistic here non gamers arent going to jump headfirst into most the shit you people list

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcharm View Post
    Heroes of Might and Magic III/V

as much as I love HOMAM3, I don't think that they'd be good introductions to gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    As much as I love Elder Scrolls games, seeing those nominated as a recommendation for someone who's never played a video game is a bit much...

I'd nominate the first Super Mario Bros. title, as well as the first Legend of Zelda; both were among games I first learned to play. Both are fairly simple to start off with and ramp up with difficulty as you advance.

For something from more recent memory, I'd go with either of the first two Smash Bros. games. Can't speak for any of the newer entries in that series, since I haven't played them, but the early ones fall into the "easy to learn, hard to master" description.
    The issue with 2d pixel games is that even if they are good by their own standards, most people, even the ones who never touched a game in their life, will probably wonder why the fuck you give them something from 25 years ago, even they will have seen modern graphics somewhere. Depending on the "customer" you try to introduce here you will need something that catches their attention and won't bore them to death after 5 minutes, be that gameplay or a narrative. A brawler might work if you play with them (and not utterly whoop their asses..) but thinking back at my example, you would never get my father with that. A survival horror game as someone else suggested won't get people who have no love for splatter horror, they will just look at you and think you are sicko and gamers are disgusting psychos. Giving a 100 hour RPG to someone with next to no attention span will not work, same for RTS. I think that learning a game will obviously play a role, but I think capturing their attention (or maybe immagination) is way more important to keep them interested in playing. Heck, (modded) minecraft might be another approach, giving people freedom to express themsleves and built cool contraptions - epseically more technically minded people.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-12-18 at 04:09 PM.

dwarf fortress so the normies will stay away

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    as much as I love HOMAM3, I don't think that they'd be good introductions to gaming
    Why not? I think it's the best game in the series and while not everyone agrees to it, a lot of people do.

If anything, as long as people do -NOT- touch VI nor VII, it should be good.

Either way, for a newcomer to games, aside from HOM&M3, I would absolutely recomend Undertale to be honest. In case they don't know how games are usually played, they would totally do the pacifist run instead of killing everyone around!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The issue with 2d pixel games is that even if they are good by their own standards, most people, even the ones who never touched a game in their life, will probably wonder why the fuck you give them something from 25 years ago, even they will have seen modern graphics somewhere. Depending on the "customer" you try to introduce here you will need something that catches their attention and won't bore them to death after 5 minutes, be that gameplay or a narrative. A brawler might work if you play with them (and not utterly whoop their asses..) but thinking back at my example, you would never get my father with that. A survival horror game as someone else suggested won't get people who have no love for splatter horror, they will just look at you and think you are sicko and gamers are disgusting psychos. Giving a 100 hour RPG to someone with next to no attention span will not work, same for RTS. I think that learning a game will obviously play a role, but I think capturing their attention (or maybe immagination) is way more important to keep them interested in playing. Heck, (modded) minecraft might be another approach, giving people freedom to express themsleves and built cool contraptions - epseically more technically minded people.
    It can largely vary from person to person; while I ridicule the idea of dumping someone off in an ES main title, I can recall being a ripe 9 years of age, sitting there and playing through Final Fantasy 4, no instruction manual or anything, just pushing buttons and sifting through menus, figuring it out one thing at a time. But not everyone has the time/patience/etc. to deal with that. Not meaning to make myself sound like some deity's gift to gaming at that age or now, btw.

1 - kingdom hearts, recognizable characters, action rpg style, multiple different game worlds

2 - bejewled, simple puzzle game, match gems, score points, no real commitment

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Touhou. Especially parts 11 and 12.

Would highly depend on what they like.

Some people really like story heavy stuff, so RPGs and stuff like that would be what I'd recommend.

Some people like more action, so FPS games or similar frantic games like that.

Some people like puzzles or strategy, so I'd recommend RTS games, or RPGs with a heavy puzzle aspect.

One size does not fit all, so I'd tailor the choices I provide based on who I was talking to.

Stardew Valley

Deleted
    The Walking Dead
    Last of Us

and some other story heavy game