Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    250,000 characters.....
    That's not even close to 250,000 players, let alone how many of those are bot accounts. (Many of which are, private servers are notorious for bots to the point where servers shut down due to economies collapsing from botters.)

That's kind of the problem with these self serving statistical graphics from illegal private servers: their numbers cannot even be referenced, verified or held to any sort of relevance.

edit: I ran the numbers, the gold looted vs. the characters created pitched it being about 40s a character on average. So yeah, bots.
    You ran the numbers wrong. If 250.000 characters looted 566.000 gold, then there is no way it is less than 2 gold each. To be exact, the average gold looted for all characters created is 2g, 26s and 40c. If we assume that all the gold is looted by characters above level 10, then the average is 2g, 51s and 55c. And as most gold comes from quest rewards and vendoring items, it is plausible.

The release leveling time everyone seems to remember doesn't match at all with my memories. For me it was like 3-5 days /played without special exploits or cheesing, and much smoother/quicker than most other mmorpgs at the time. Then of course a lot of people took 10-15-20 days /played but these were noobies days, most had no clue what they were doing, this will not be the case on classic servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprix View Post
    The release leveling time everyone seems to remember doesn't match at all with my memories. For me it was like 3-5 days /played without special exploits or cheesing, and much smoother/quicker than most other mmorpgs at the time. Then of course a lot of people took 10-15-20 days /played but these were noobies days, most had no clue what they were doing, this will not be the case on classic servers.
    If you want to push it you can do it rather quickly, of course some of that will be determined by which patch they go with. Classes got much easier to level later on in the expac with talent changes. Generally speaking though I think it will take most people longer, mainly because people know the content is finite and there is no reason to get in a big hurry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i think it will be hillarius to see how nowadays gamers react to ancient slow like f... and boring like hell stuff

literaly cant wait for the shitstorm that we will see on forums once its released

that shitstorm on forums is actually something which im much more hyped about because since i did play back then i know how nowadays gamers will react and that it will be called the biggest gaming overhype-fail of ad2019 or ad 2020 or whenever it comes out

will be hillarious
    It won't be as hilarious to me, as I am also nostalgic, but I do share a part of your standpoint.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    1: Leveling is not as bad as you make it out to be, it has so many different things that can affect leveling speed.
    A player that bother to read up on the best leveling path, can level to 60 in 4-6 days / played
    A player that knows basic things about leveling in vanilla, spend slightly longer maybe 6-10 days /played
    A player who never played wow before, or one that started playing after the cataclysm, and don't read up on basic things 10-20 days /played

The amount of real time days spendt depends on how many hours per day you spend playing, the population on the server affect it by how much time you spend waiting for quest mobs / items you need, how much time you spend on other things than actual leveling

2: Most people interested in classic will have played wow active before, so they know the basics of the world of azeroth, and even to this day, there is tons of databases giving tips about quests and where to complete them, so unless you are a player that focus on solving everything by your own (and if you are you wouldnt be bothered by the time it take anyway) vanilla quests arent that complicated to get done

3: The mount at level 40 is not that hard to get as people seem to think, yes you might not get it the second you turn level 40, but by the time you are 42-43 you will have enough gold. The gold you earn increases A LOT, from level 30+ and if you think a little ahead, you know that it is smart to start saving gold to get that mount, and not spend everything you get on crafting materials, or that awesome legplates that are on the AH. In addition to that, there are tons of spells and abilities from the trainer that is completely useless when you are leveling up, there is no point in buying the best rank of a spell that you never use, these can be aquired after you complete the leveling. And getting the epic mount, is a very nice addition, but it is not a gamebreaking thing. it will take you maybe a miinute longer to get to your instance than someone with a epic mount, so yes, it does take time, but its not something you need to survive in the world.

4: A healthy realm has so many groups being formed, that you don't really need these tools to do quests, and 90% of the groups that are formed are guild groups, so everyone should be in a guild, it doesnt need to be the best guild on the server that raid 5 days per week, there are tons of guilds made each with different mentality on how to play the game, find one that suit your playstyle and you will never have problems with finding groups for what you want to do. Vanilla is a social game, being social dramaticly increases the speed in which things can be done because you can reciave help from your friends.

5: Spell ranks arent as complicated as they may sound, this only apply to healers, and you just need to find a rank that suits best with your current gear, and when you aquire some better gear, test out if you can go down or up a rank, this is complicated when you hear about it, but when you start using your spells, you will quickly see what spell ranks you should use.

6: Raid preparation is something that is different from class to class, and guild to guild, and player to player. a Hardcore guild, would probably want you to be fully flasked and consumed trough your 20th MC run, but for a normal guild, flasks won't really be a thing until you reach late AQ and Naxx, except for tanks, you want tanks with the Titans flasks in BWL. It is not as time consuming as many think that it is, and most of the consumables are usually saved for the harder bosses and raids.
    The difference in using no consumables and using every consumable possible, is clearing speed, a MC run can be completed maybe 20min faster with fully consumes, and considering that farming all those mats will take A LOT more than 20 minutes, its simply not worth it unless you want to tryhard it.

There are both good and bad things in vanilla, but even the bad things contribute to making the good things, cause once you have completed the bad things, the rewards are usually worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrim View Post
    Don't get me wrong guys, I'm all up for changes, and throwbacks, and stuff like that. And just like all of you I can't wait to log in the new "old servers" and be reminded how it was back then. But even I don't know for sure if I want to go through that again. I'm afraid that I will log for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, and then just quit. And I am afraid it will be the same with many other players as well.

Everybody is talking about what we miss from Vanilla, and what was most fun in Vanilla, but I rarely see people discussing the negative things, and if we will be able to endure them as they were back then. Sure, I also have a lot of awesome memmories and things I miss from Vanilla, but there are also plenty of things I don't miss. Please allow me to remind you of a few:

1. Leveing to max (lvl60) back in Vanilla took approximately 2 months of active play.
    2. Quests did not have any kind of indications on map, minimap, sidebar, whatsoever. You actually had to read the log so you could find out where you have to go, and what you have to do. And even after doing so, you would find out the text is full with riddles and references. Some of these were actually quite hard for me since English is not my mother language.
    3. You get your first mount at level 40, at which point you don't really have the gold to afford it. Those mounts had 40% speed. After you hit 60 you had to farm for days so you could afford the 100% mount. The maximum amount of travel speed you could obtain was 120% through trinket and enchant which would increase your grount mount speed additionally. And last but not least, there were no flying mounts.
    4. There were no group finders. You had to spam trade chats in capital cities - sometimes for hours if you play dps class. Then you find out your group consists of a bunch of undergeared people since you wipe 10 times at the 1st boss in BRD.
    5. Spell-rank sifting. Spell-ranks were not united as they are now. In order to effectively use your mana pool you had to put a few ranks from the majority of your spells on your bars and activelly decide which one you need at any given moment.
    6. Raid preparation included more consumables other than your regular flask, food and pot. There were stuff like mana runes, weapon oils, weapon grinders, etc. There were no food tables or flask cauldrons. Farming all that took a lot of time. I remember spending 2 hours before raid every single day, only to farm the mats for flasks and food, the special consumables and warlock shards.

I won't be making the list too long, but these are only a few, probably out of hundreds of things that were quite uncomfortable back in the day. It makes me wonder how much will the nowday WoW player (myself included) last in that environment.

What do you guys think?
    1) It's about the adventure. Not the destination. IMHO this is something I greatly look forward too. But I can understand how this can be daunting for newcomers. However there is Legion if you wish to fulfill a fast leveling experience.

2)Good. This adds to the immersion. Not having way points or following a green arrow to tell you where to go. However there are questing addons that will easily remedy this issue. For me personally, again, not an issue due to me loving the world of Warcraft and having to read and figure out what quests want from me add to the immersion of the world.

3)Those mounts were 60% speed not 40%. As well as there is carrot on a stick, spurs, and an enchant you can get to get an additional 5% or 10%. However if you are smart with your money usage. Alongside with a proper profession and you can easily purchase your mount at level 40. It's just like real life. Budget your spending and save and you will attain your desires. Again something I personally enjoy. You actually have to farm and be smart to get your mount at 40.

4)This is absolutely true. FOR YOUR FIRST COUPLE WEEKS. Then you make friends. Then you build a group of people who enjoy playing with you, and you them. Then next thing you know you are grouping with the same few people for everything. Is it frustrating at first, yes. However put the effort into meeting people and building relationships and you will never have to spam trade chat for hours looking for peeps to fill your group.

5)What exactly is bad about this? As a veteren vanilla player who raided with a pally. I actually really liked having to downrank my spells. Due to having to use my brain to figure out which heal would heal the most and use the least amount of mana. I see this as a positive then a negative. Again though this is my opinion. And thats really what we are arguing here opinion. What you might not like. Others do.

6) I spent 0 hours a day farming for raids. Why? because I was an enchanter. I just bought everything i needed for my raids. My farming was sitting in Ironforge spamming trade with my enchants making money.Again, everyone experience is different. And it's frustering EVERYONE thinks you have to farm 10000000000 hours a day. Just be smart. Have a plan. And execute that plan.

See what i did there? What you may have experienced is different than another person. What you might find "Bad" or not "Interesting" or "fun" is the opposite for others. IF you dont like these things about Vanilla that is totally fine! However there is another game that will better suit your desires, its called legion.

How long will I last in this environment? A damn long time. I personally love everything on your list. Then, eventually, I will get bored. Then I will play another game. Then eventually I will see something that will remind me WoW. Then i will start back up again. Thus the cycle continues.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

Everything you listed is the reason I want to play it again!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i think it will be hillarius to see how nowadays gamers react to ancient slow like f... and boring like hell stuff

literaly cant wait for the shitstorm that we will see on forums once its released

that shitstorm on forums is actually something which im much more hyped about because since i did play back then i know how nowadays gamers will react and that it will be called the biggest gaming overhype-fail of ad2019 or ad 2020 or whenever it comes out

will be hillarious
    Or everyone will leave Batfa for vanilla because batfa is too casual and they want a challenge for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    mkay.

And did they pay 15 dollars a month?

Also, 5,580 people? That's like... less than one retail WoW server.
    Always disregarding vanilla enthusiasts as leeches only playing on private servers because its free. Tiresome.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm all up for changes, and throwbacks, and stuff like that. And just like all of you I can't wait to log in the new "old servers" and be reminded how it was back then. But even I don't know for sure if I want to go through that again. I'm afraid that I will log for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, and then just quit. And I am afraid it will be the same with many other players as well.

Everybody is talking about what we miss from Vanilla, and what was most fun in Vanilla, but I rarely see people discussing the negative things, and if we will be able to endure them as they were back then. Sure, I also have a lot of awesome memmories and things I miss from Vanilla, but there are also plenty of things I don't miss. Please allow me to remind you of a few:

1. Leveing to max (lvl60) back in Vanilla took approximately 2 months of active play.
    2. Quests did not have any kind of indications on map, minimap, sidebar, whatsoever. You actually had to read the log so you could find out where you have to go, and what you have to do. And even after doing so, you would find out the text is full with riddles and references. Some of these were actually quite hard for me since English is not my mother language.
    3. You get your first mount at level 40, at which point you don't really have the gold to afford it. Those mounts had 40% speed. After you hit 60 you had to farm for days so you could afford the 100% mount. The maximum amount of travel speed you could obtain was 120% through trinket and enchant which would increase your grount mount speed additionally. And last but not least, there were no flying mounts.
    4. There were no group finders. You had to spam trade chats in capital cities - sometimes for hours if you play dps class. Then you find out your group consists of a bunch of undergeared people since you wipe 10 times at the 1st boss in BRD.
    5. Spell-rank sifting. Spell-ranks were not united as they are now. In order to effectively use your mana pool you had to put a few ranks from the majority of your spells on your bars and activelly decide which one you need at any given moment.
    6. Raid preparation included more consumables other than your regular flask, food and pot. There were stuff like mana runes, weapon oils, weapon grinders, etc. There were no food tables or flask cauldrons. Farming all that took a lot of time. I remember spending 2 hours before raid every single day, only to farm the mats for flasks and food, the special consumables and warlock shards.

I won't be making the list too long, but these are only a few, probably out of hundreds of things that were quite uncomfortable back in the day. It makes me wonder how much will the nowday WoW player (myself included) last in that environment.

What do you guys think?
    It will be even harsher if we get one of the earlier patches.

WoW Vanilla Patch 1.1 - What Was It Like?

So yeah, Classic is not for Retail pussies.
    Last edited by Mushkins; 2017-12-20 at 01:13 PM.

For the millionth time, we have been playing on private servers for years and know exactly what vanilla entails and we just want to move from the BS private servers to an official blizzard made server. We know what we are asking for because we're currently playing a shittier version of it and despite the shiftiness of private servers we still prefer it to modern WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I think that people know very well what they want when it comes to WoW Vanilla.

The following are one-month-old stats from a new Vanilla progressive-type server that started from patch 1.2 "Mysteries of Maraudon".

In the space of just one month we got 250,000 players. So yeah, I'd say people know what they want and love it.

In the meantime, the folks at Blizzard are fap... errr sleeping and losing money every hour. The clock is ticking, Blizzard.
    Uhm, no. It says that after a month, you had 250.000 characters, spread across 150.000 accounts yet only 843 max level. So, I am guessing some of the 150.000 accounts are bogus/test/bots, or just dumped again.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    "I'm the only one who remembers what vanilla was like and I can tell you will hate it because <insert random bs issue that literally everyone is aware of and liked vanilla anyway>"

People are drunk on nostalgia to the point of being sadomasochistic. You say you got carpal tunnel from the crappy old AH design? They say "GOOD! WE WANT CARPAL TUNNEL. WE WANT OUR GODDAMN WRISTS TO EXPLODE IN PAIN, OR IT IS NOT THE. BEST. GAME. EVER."

It will die once the servers release. We already saw it happen to Old School RuneScape. People don't want the old game, they want the "experience" they had, with the mechanics that existed at the time. They are two very different things.

Likely going by the OSRS experience:
    -player-voted QoL changes
    -bugfixes
    -eventually player-voted custom content

Unlikely:
    -level cap raising
    -flying
    -new classes or races
    -complete class overhauls
    -pet battles, LFR/LFD, etc things associated with later expansions that heavily altered the gameplay or graphical style of the game
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-12-20 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

It sounds like WoW: Classic isn't for you then. Luckily it's optional.

Literally everything you said is why I look forward to Classic WoW

I think you're a bit confused, you simply listed a bunch of reason of why Vanilla was a lot better than Retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    That's if the purists get their way. Hopefully the devs see sense and make a game that will appeal to all and not just the most hardcore crowd.
    Classic servers aren't a chance for the dev's to go back and fix things that people think they should. They had that chance, and chose not to.
    It should be preserved as a snapshot in time, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Drobu View Post
    Classic servers aren't a chance for the dev's to go back and fix things that people think they should. They had that chance, and chose not to.
    It should be preserved as a snapshot in time, for better or worse.
    THANK YOU!!! common sense for once. Everyone requesting changes are only making them out for their own self-interest with no regard for how it might affect other aspects of the game.... which is the underlying freaking problem with this whole conversation!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Why would we need to do that? I did that content enough it's all in my head lol. People think the leveling is what is going to get people, do you really think most people don't have a clue what it was like? Yeah sure there will be some new people that don't know and won't be able to handle it, but I think anyone that has played it before knows what they are in for.

People are going to try and quit, but there are people that try and quit live as well. This has always been the case, lets not act like it's something new just for classic. You will either like it or you won't. If you don't that's cool, if you do that's cool too. I'm not entirely sure why so many people that appear not to want classic at all are that concerned with who quits or doesn't quit?
    So you think people doing something they did years ago will be enough to keep them playing on a server that never progresses?

If blizzard makes it Classic+ at least the longevity will be longer than pure vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    845/150,000 = 0.6% of accounts got a character to max level after 1 month, with each account having an average of 16 hours played.
    Keyword: AFTER 1 MONTH

Not everyone is a lifeless NEET that can play 6-8 hours a day in order to hit 60 in under a month.