View Poll Results: Do you see Blizzard implementing the WoW Token into Classic?

Voters
286. This poll is closed
  • Yes, totally see them doing this.

69 24.13%
  • No, then it wouldn't be Vanilla.

189 66.08%
  • That's a tough one...

28 9.79%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    even if it was implemented, what harm would it do??

if they don't implement it, the chinese gold farmers will swarm back in and people will still buy gold.

if they do implement it, the chinese gold farmers will go away or be drastically reduced and people will still buy gold (this time from the token) either way I don't see the token changing ANY aspects of the gameplay, if anything it would actually take materials out of the AH because the chinese would have less motivation to farm things to sell.
    Much more people will buy gold if it's easily accessible and not a ban-able offense. And thus it will really take away much of the importance gold had on the Vanilla experience, which Blizzard is trying to capture with Classic.

It's hard to explain feelings, but that moment you sell enough, or get lucky enough to finally buy your first mount (not even an epic mount) is something really special that I will always remember. But if you can just *legally* purchase some gold with some extra cash you have to play with, then that feeling will become almost meaningless.

I get that many don't care about those feelings, but it was those feelings I feel like that made Vanilla so special to people. And screwing with the economy by legalizing purchasing gold is a bad thing. Yes people did it/will always do it, but just because a few will always break the rules doesn't mean the policy wasn't important to begin with.

Deleted
    even if it was implemented, what harm would it do??
    The economy, i.e., gold making, was an integral part of the game. The ability to just buy gold from Blizzard entirely trivializes that aspect of the game, and as a result the whole experience breaks down.

if they don't implement it, the chinese gold farmers will swarm back in and people will still buy gold.
    That's not in any way a reasonable excuse for the token system. Or would you also want Blizzard to sell official botting software, since there are cheaters who will bot anyway? Gold farmers/sellers/buyers can be dealt with the same way as other types of cheating—detect and ban—it's trivial with today's technology in a fully Blizzard controller system.

you guys dont understand.. AT ALL

the wow token DOES NOT INTRODUCE GOLD INTO THE ECONOMY

if someone buys 40 wow tokens, hoping to make 20,000g in vanilla and get ahead of everyone..

guess what.. REAL PLAYERS STILL HAVE TO BUY THE TOKENS FIRST.

if tokens go for 500g (which if they are implemented this is a good guess as to what theyll be set at) then real players still have to buy them.

wow tokens, again, DO NOT CREATE GOLD. they are just a tool like any other for moving gold around.

Deleted
    you guys dont understand.. AT ALL

the wow token DOES NOT INTRODUCE GOLD INTO THE ECONOMY
    Everyone understands this. That is not the problem with the token.

Apparently no one actually played Vanilla. To find someone with an epic mount was extremely rare for the first year of the game. To find anyone with disposable cash was extremely rare. Maybe my experience was a "fluke" but the way that I remember Vanilla....no one except the most ambitious farmers and AH workers had any sort of disposable income in WoW.

Vanilla was punishing. It was hard to grind mobs and it was hard to farm herbs or ore. The one saving grace is that AH mods have vastly improved since Vanilla. But people have to be making money in the game in order to be spending it.

If they make you pay for classic by itself...they will not allow you to buy a sub with gold. Otherwise it will be like 200g for a month. People are vastly overestimating gold production in Vanilla WoW.

Deleted
    Got to prefer Wow tokens over chinese gold sellers as you wont have enough spots on your ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    you are really VERY ignorant are you? ignoring that the bnet evolved over the years and that ofc classic will get the bnet from today and not the one from 2004 and thus include shop, tokens, launcher, etc.
    You're being a fool.

Just because bnet is integrated into classic, does not mean that those aspects (shop\token for example) will be implemented, AT ALL. It's just a matter of disabling both aspects by replacing a 1 with a 0 on the code.

And honestly? They will both be disabled.

They won't need to put the token on Vanilla servers as long as Vanilla server playtime can be bought with current WoW tokens which it will be if it's not just bundled with the sub period.

In either case it's a win for Blizzard and their time use metrics because people will have to play retail to get gold to buy tokens to pay for vanilla which they will supposedly play.

The fact that people think gold trading for game time wasn't a thing in vanilla wow is kidding themselves. I once got a game time card from a friend and traded it IN GAME for gold.

Also if blizz does not implement this, the Chinese will put gold on farm and people will be buying gold that way. Just like in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    The fact that people think gold trading for game time wasn't a thing in vanilla wow is kidding themselves. I once got a game time card from a friend and traded it IN GAME for gold.

Also if blizz does not implement this, the Chinese will put gold on farm and people will be buying gold that way. Just like in vanilla.
    I'd much rather buy gold from a player legally than from the chinese illegally

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'd much rather buy gold from a player legally than from the chinese illegally
    Exactly, I 100% agree, and I'd rather blizz take a cut than some unknown/unsecured chinese website.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not want it in Classic, And think it would ruin the economy.
    But i am pretty sure they are gonna add it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    This has been bothering me lately.

I'm a huge fan of the Classic announcement and I personally want it to remain exactly the same, or as close as possible.

I don't want any added features, but there are those that argue some things will inevitably change like having the battle.net integration. Which I don't see how Blizzard will release Classic without that integration unfortunately.

So if there will be obvious integration features through Bnet, and KNOWING blizzard wanting to milk WoW for all the money it could possibly make, I wouldn't put it past them to integrate the WoW Token into Classic like it is in Retail.

I think this would be a HUGE mistake personally. One of the KEY features of WoW Vanilla was how time-consuming or whatever you want to call it, it was to get gold yourself (or be incredibly lucky). I think if they integrate the WoW Token into Classic, it would ruin that feeling of accomplishment when you actually bought your first mount or finally getting the 1k needed for the Epic mount. It's one of those milestones and achievements in Vanilla that made one of the greatest memories for past players, and the Token would completely destroy that feeling.

Sure, there will be those that say "It doesn't change anything, just don't sell one and you're square" - but that's like the argument for flying "It doesn't change anything, just don't fly" - which obviously (most players who can, will) if there's the option.

I'm a bit scared about this one. I think most people who are asking for Quality of Life changed or added content will see they won't make it in...

But this... This is right up Blizzard's Alley for what I can see they would do...

Added a Poll to gauge what people are thinking.

**Edit: Honestly think people are thinking the Poll question is "Do you want WoW Tokens" when that's not the question.
    Plenty of people bought gold in vanilla, what's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Kpmk View Post
    Plenty of people bought gold in vanilla, what's the difference
    Much more people will buy gold if it's easily accessible and not a ban-able offense. And thus it will really take away much of the importance gold had on the Vanilla experience, which Blizzard is trying to capture with Classic.

It's hard to explain feelings, but that moment you sell enough, or get lucky enough to finally buy your first mount (not even an epic mount) is something really special that I will always remember. But if you can just *legally* purchase some gold with some extra cash you have to play with, then that feeling will become almost meaningless.

I get that many don't care about those feelings, but it was those feelings I feel like that made Vanilla so special to people. And screwing with the economy by legalizing purchasing gold is a bad thing. Yes people did it/will always do it, but just because a few will always break the rules doesn't mean the policy wasn't important to begin with.

No red snapper

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Just because bnet is integrated into classic, does not mean that those aspects (shop\token for example) will be implemented, AT ALL. It's just a matter of disabling both aspects by replacing a 1 with a 0 on the code.
    And honestly? They will both be disabled.
    You're being a fool.
    Blizzard ist at first a company that wants to make money so vanilla WILL have the shop.

Nope they definitely differentiated the their term, "classic" and vanilla. Re-read it. They said they wanted it to be as close to the original experience as possible.
    While I know this could mean a range of things. I put a percentage chance next to some of these to give some perspective.
    The most minimal of difference would obviously be the b-net integration. 100%
    On the high end of change, we would see the QoL's pop in. From aoe loot 10-15%, up to better gear itemization 5%. Class balance changes (2%)could happen but i would throw that in the "prob not gonna happen" bin. Right next to the definitely not gonna happen bin. Where flying and tank/healer damage will be.
    Obviously I think it will be largely untouched but who knows what will happen when they have meetings. While I'm not for or against the simple QoL's. aoe loot and what not, I can totally see somebody or multiple people making valid points for and against.
    In the end they have their security blanket on with the statement they made.
    I can see them going a step further and putting alot of the QoL's in as options in one of the escape menu tabs

- - - Updated - - -

Nope they definitely differentiated the their term, "classic" and vanilla. Re-read it. They said they wanted it to be as close to the original experience as possible.
    While I know this could mean a range of things. I put a percentage chance next to some of these to give some perspective.
    The most minimal of difference would obviously be the b-net integration. 100%
    On the high end of change, we would see the QoL's pop in. From aoe loot 10-15%, up to better gear itemization 5%. Class balance changes (2%)could happen but i would throw that in the "prob not gonna happen" bin. Right next to the definitely not gonna happen bin. Where flying and tank/healer damage will be.
    Obviously I think it will be largely untouched but who knows what will happen when they have meetings. While I'm not for or against the simple QoL's. aoe loot and what not, I can totally see somebody or multiple people making valid points for and against.
    In the end they have they're security blanket on with the statement they made.
    I can see them going a step further and putting alot of the QoL's in as options in one of the escape menu tabs
    Last edited by jontunnel130; 2017-12-21 at 05:56 AM.

I think the wow token will be part of their monetization strategy in vanilla. They'll have to pull out a lot of monetization out of it anyways - today's WOW makes more money with microtransactions then it does with subs.

So I think wow token, character services and maybe transmogging as a premium only feature will come in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    I think the wow token will be part of their monetization strategy in vanilla. They'll have to pull out a lot of monetization out of it anyways - today's WOW makes more money with microtransactions then it does with subs.

So I think wow token, character services and maybe transmogging as a premium only feature will come in vanilla.
    Do you have any evidence to back this up? That seems crazy, even at 4 million subscribers that's almost 60 million dollars a months just on subs, there's no way I would believe micro-transactions in WoW would come close to that per month. I can believe Hearthstone makes more, but not WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgon View Post
    Do you have any evidence to back this up? That seems crazy, even at 4 million subscribers that's almost 60 million dollars a months just on subs, there's no way I would believe micro-transactions in WoW would come close to that per month. I can believe Hearthstone makes more, but not WoW.
    I'm pretty sure that the microtransactions makes Blizzard more money than the actual sub, just look at free games like Dota 2 and LoL that lives of microtransactions (with Dota 2, it's only cosmetics as well! Not P2W like LoL). Me and my friends avg. around $350 on Dota 2, as a free game. Buying shit in it.

LoL is also the game that earns the most money of zem all, Riot makes billions of those micro transactions. Which is also the reason why gaming companies keep fighting for more microtransactions in games.