Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Do they know it's Christmas? Where are the new festive classics?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42344257

Perhaps you were buying groceries at the supermarket or flicking through radio channels on the way to work when you first heard it this year - the folksy opening bars of Fairytale of New York, Shakin' Stevens's sleigh bells or the warbling of Mariah Carey.

Whether it fills you with joy or makes you change channels, hearing that first festive song marks the beginning of Christmas for many.

But our desire to stick with the traditional means almost all attempts to write a modern festive hit fall flat.

Looking at the most played Christmas songs of the past five years, the old standards dominate.

Just one song from the past two decades, Leona Lewis's 2013 effort One More Sleep, makes it in to the top 20, according to data from PRS for Music, which licenses music and pays out royalties.

Mariah Carey and East 17, who released their festive tunes back in 1994, come in at number two and number seven respectively.

Other than that, songs from the 1970s and 1980s - and even earlier - still dominate the airwaves.

Paul Clements, executive director of membership, international and licensing at PRS for Music, says: "As the way we celebrate the festive season continues to change and evolve, we can expect more contemporary Christmas songs to reflect that.

"But sometimes, when a season of nostalgia powers the airwaves, you just can't beat a good classic."

Peter Leathem, chief executive of PPL, which licenses the recorded music played in public, says: "Radio seeks to play what its listeners want played, with the most popular being the old classics.

"[They] have longer to rack up airplay familiarity, whereas newer Christmas songs really have to fight for their place on the airwaves."

Our favourite Christmas songs tend to be those that remind us of our childhoods, meaning few become instant classics.

James Masterton, from Chart Watch UK, says: "You consider something like the Mariah Carey song - it was a huge hit back in 1994, but I don't remember it being particularly notable as a cultural touch-point for another 10 years after that.

"It was only in the middle of the last decade that people began to wake up to the fact that, actually, this is a classic.

"Maybe that Leona Lewis song will gain a second wind and become one of the nation's favourites, as the people who've bought it as teenagers grow up and become nostalgic for their bit of their childhood."
    More in link, an interesting article I found

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you find every article interesting?

OT: Christmas music is awful....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileus View Post
    Do you find every article interesting?

It's Christmas be jolly

New...Classic? What does that even mean??

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus View Post
    QFT. I hate xmas music. Working retail killed it for me.

Go to work
    Sit at desk
    Turn on radio
    Nothing by Christmas songs
    Throw radio out the window

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42344257

More in link, an interesting article I found
    Yeah, you didn't know? Modern or Pop Christmas music is universally panned, world wide. It's like the total cliche thing to do, to release a Christmas album, as your career wanes.

Christmas music is aweful. anyone not doing it out of irony is-/loud burp- the worst.

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Came out in 2003. and

was even later, came out in 2015

Look at the popular Christmas songs during the years those songs were made.

Generations change, old stuff=nostalgia blah blah blah.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

kids these days dont understand. christmas (and other holidays in general) used to be huge events. where all the family came together. it isnt like that anymore for majority of america today. back then most people had 6 or more children, now many people have no children. i wish more of my family was here for times like this but what can you do. so yeah the holiday itself is dying and of course the music related will die too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact that the drek that is Paul McCartney’s contribution to Christmas music is even top 10 makes me wonder what morons are picking these songs. Worst. Christmas. Song. Ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not a huge fan of Sinatra’s Christmas songs, but some of his contemporaries were amazing.
    Agreed, the Paul McCartney song is the absolute worse of the worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been hearing Christmas music since October in the store I work at. I've managed to desensitize myself enough to it I could block it out.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody cares about each other anymore. Thus no more of those kinds of songs.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It's Christmas be jolly
    The music still sucks donkey nuts. I honestly can't stand christmas music.

People act like those are just the established norm but at one point those were all made up as well. The whole holiday feels like a sham in that regard to me at this point. Everything we take as normal about it was made up and cobbled together relatively recently. /rant
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Country music will save us.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

This is a good christmas song that also explains why you can't expect many mainstream christmas songs in the future

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ok, there is nothing really new under the sun...or stars. Enjoy another classic from 1984