Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternalty View Post
    I quit a long time ago, I'm a returning player who bought Legion because I was duped into the whole "It's gonna be just like TBC" hype everybody screamed from the rooftops.

I have actually never played Nostalrius and never will. I already said I wouldn't want to play Vanilla again.

You're full of shit claiming that you did everything solo, you said you got no help at all throughout classic? Lol nice one, bud.
    Never said I got no help, I said I never had any friends to play with. Ofc I grouped with people to do certain quest bosses, everyone had to do so.
    But hey, you're a fraud so I'm not gonna waste more time on someone that played a private server and base their arguments on that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Never said I got no help, I said I never had any friends to play with. Ofc I grouped with people to do certain quest bosses, everyone had to do so.
    But hey, you're a fraud so I'm not gonna waste more time on someone that played a private server and base their arguments on that.
    Then you did get help and you were bullshitting the entire time.

Stay salty about being called out on your bullshit.

Never played on a Vanilla private server but whatever blows your skirt up, bub.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it will be a failure in the overall sense. But I think Blizzard knows this too.

However it will be successful for those who want it. I know that sounds really obvious. Essentially what I mean is there is likely going to be a fairly hefty population/community for at least one server, if not several. There won't be hundreds of thousands of people who stick with it, but there is going to be a decent amount of people such that you can get the full 'experience' of what Vanilla is like.

I'll probably check it out, but not because I like it, I know I won't. There are plenty of people I've met over the years who haven't experienced earlier iterations of WoW that think that it might be some magical journey. Hopefully it is for them because I don't really want to shit on anybodies idea of what's fun, but I do want to be there to watch them experience what the 'good old' times are.

Even though I never played an MMO before WoW, Vanilla's experience was still just raiding for me. What bothers me is it's impossible to recapture that experience or magic of Vanilla raids because everybody will know the proper gearing path, what's going to be good, and how all of the encounters work. That said, as buggy as it was, the raiding experience still wasn't bad in Vanilla, and is probably the only thing that interests me in the slightest (I cleared everything sans 3 bosses in Naxx prior to 2.0).

Despite leveling being touted as an experience, I only really enjoyed it the first time because it was entirely something new. I only leveled 3 characters to max in Vanilla, and it likely would have only been two if I knew that the shaman I initially leveled was only ever going to be a healer in a raid. Leveling still won't take long in Vanilla now, considering people will know what zones to go to, where all the quests are, and what quests to avoid.

I will say there was something special about AV almost never ending. Joining one on Tuesday, and then going back to the SAME AV from earlier in the week on fucking Sunday.

All of that said, I think legacy style servers, or stand alone 'expansion' experiences are actually a positive addition to the game as long as they don't take away too many resources to do it. Like I mentioned, I'll check it out, but it won't be something I exclusively sub for. However, it's something I'd probably dick around with during lulls in regular content, especially when an expansion is ending.

5+ Year Old Account
    Like others are saying, if you've ever followed the private server scene, you'd see that similar things happen (tonnes of people playing on release, decreasing to a stable population over time.)

And they're generally considered underground.

A lot of ppl excited to play classic probably aren't flaming over the forums, and are just waiting patiently to play the game they want to play. That's all. If you're looking for the people leaving, you'll find them. If you're looking for the people staying, you'll find them too.

I'm actually curious as to just how big the launch will be... I've talked to ppl that have quit the game after tbc, wrath, and wod that are gonna check it out for the hell of it. Now that is pretty insane within itself..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    Been talking to my guild about forming a pvp guild once Classic Servers launch and almost all of them always reply with the same shit. "Dude youre gonna hate classic wow. Dont bother with it." or "Classic WoW is gonna be such a huge failure once the casuals realize just how miserable it is." or "Classic Servers will be popular with the casuals for a few weeks, then it'll fizzle out." or "Vanilla WoW sucked why would you wanna play that shit?"

I really dont understand all the hatred toward Classic WoW servers? I never had a chance to play Classic WoW and I wanna play it is that so wrong? People are so negative when you bring up the topic of classic wow servers what gives?
    Thing is, it is factual that A MASSIVE AMOUNT of the community will quit early
    and this is coming from a private server player

1. people will wanna see what it was like, but will quickly get bored of leveling.
    2. those who have rose tinted goggles will have them broken and get bored (not all do, but some will, its only statistics)
    3. people will hit 20 and then notice they really do need another 20 levels before they can even get a 60% mount
    4. people will be sick of all the people, there will be alot of people in every zone for a few weeks, making doing quests and grinding/farming impossible, so dungeons will legit be the only way to level. No sharding tech to stop it like they have for retail.

people on MASS will join, im thinking about 4 million
    but that number will quickly plummit as people finish what they wanted to do, or simply give up.

also people hate it because the classic tryhards wont stop pushing it in everyones face.
    if the classic players simply said "we like classic, we want a classic server that wont effect the current servers"
    yeah, cool on you guys!
    But its the

"YOU ALL PLAYING RETAIL ARE FUCKING CUCKS, VANILLA IS THE BEST, AND HERES WHY, YOU ARE ALL CASUALS, VANILLA IS THE REAL HARD GAME, I PLAY ILLEGALLY AND I BEAT RAGNAROS 8 MONTHS AFTER HIS RELEASE, IM FUCKING BADASS, YALL MYTHIC RAIDERS PROB CANT EVEN REACH LEVEL 60"

It is that kinda stuff that just makes retail players DESPISE the classic players.
    And dont say "it is only a tiny amount" no it is a mass majority of the people on this forum. Yes there is ALOT of people who are "cool you guys like retail, i just want classic no big deal" people, but they arnt here, and therefore are not what people see.

People making posts of how vanilla was harder
    people making posts of how current is casual and they would never make it on vanilla
    signatures about how vanilla will surpass current and current will get shut down
    signatures about method would never be able to beat cthun (even though cthun was beat day 1 on its recent server release.. lol)

I can saftely speak for all (most) retail players when i say.

"Sure, have your classic, as long as you guys stop trying to push it on us, stop trying to call us "shitters" for not wanting to play it, and stop trying to have it effect our game, we wont both you. None of us are against a classic server being made, we are against the people who try to play it off as they are better then us because they play it, or it is better and will ruin what we play."

Yes there is arguments of if it will work or not, but that is not us saying "no we hate it, we dont want anyone to have it" we are saying why we dont think it will work.

Hell i play private servers and i thought it would never work.

Will blizz start from the very start?
    will they start from the very start but with the bug fixes and balance changes of the final patch?
    will they up debuff slot max?
    will they try to stop addons?
    will they allow race/faction/server transfer?
    will they add more graveyards/faster corpse walks?
    will they start with the upgraded mount models and upgraded teir 2 models that they added part way through vanilla?
    will they start with bg's?
    will they start with a pvp system?
    Will they start with marudon and diremaul?
    will they start with all of these bug fixes and minor changes that were added later in vanilla?
    Will they start with connected flight paths, something added midway through vanilla?
    Will they simply start during the final patch?
    If not how often will they bring out a new patch?
    Will they move to BC?
    Will they allow charecters to be transfered to the live game, allowing those now unobtainable things to be obtained again?
    Will they reset the server ever 3 ish years?

all things many people have many different opinions on, and why blizzard will have a hard time.
    There is many servers made by many people, so people can find and play on what they want. but with blizzard there will only be 1 way of doing it.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-12-25 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    One part of that was the slow as treacle leveling back then.. When I started in September 2006 and knew SFA about the game I was part way through the level 50 to 60 range on my mage when Burning Crusade came out..

Though I must admit I started with a warrior, deleted it the a paladin got to level 14 before I benched the toon, and finally made a mage as my friend told me that at the time they were the fasted to level.. lol

The one part that was a pain was running out of quests in a zone and not being at the right level for the next zone and having to spam same level mobs to get to the right level for the next zone..
    I will be honest: The absolute best character for leveling in Vanilla will be either a mage or a hunter. Hunter pets with Spirit Link were BUUUUUULLLLLLSHIT for leveling. You also got Aspect of the Cheeta fairly early to speed up travel, so that helped a lot too. Repairs were low, but you had to buy ammo...so...yeah.

Mages were arguably better, though, because you could AOE farm like a madman. There was no cap on how many enemies could be hit by your AOE like there is now. I remember seeing mages pull entire camps and kite/AOE them. Especially out in EPL for Argent Dawn rep/Runecloth farming.

And if you took the time to travel around and do the Tauren, Orc, and Forsaken starting zones, you not only got a LOT of reputation(which effects vendor prices saving you gold), but kept you above the level range of each zone as you entered it later on. As long as you kept being willing to jump back and forth between continents, you would never have to just grind. This is why mages were a good choice too.

But here's the kicker: Grinding was arguably FASTER than questing during Vanilla. You got a good spot and just sat down and farmed. One more reason to hate how Vanilla was set up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC97 View Post
    I mean just look at the amount of pre-cata expansion private servers that carry thousands of people that play actively every day.
    I think you're VASTLY underestimating what human beings are willing to put up with as long as there's the caveat of "FREE" attached to it.

Even in today's WoW people will grind gold in order to pay for their sub, when it would take objectively less time to just work an extra hour or two at work to pay for it. People will wait in lines for HOURS with hundreds of other people just to get a FREE cup of Ben & Jerry's icecream, or a FREE donut from Krispy Kreme. Free private vanilla servers are no different in this regard.

And before you start getting bent out of shape: I'm not saying there aren't people who genuinely enjoy Vanilla. I'm just saying that a large majority of them are doing it because it satisfies their WoW/MMO fix while being free. We'll see what happens if players have to pay to log into an official Vanilla server. I don't think it will fail either, like many people claim, but neither do I believe for a hot second that it will be anywhere near the screaming success that many would have us believe.

- - - Updated - - -

You're full of shit claiming that you did everything solo, you said you got no help at all throughout classic? Lol nice one, bud.
    I leveled a hunter, and a shammy solo back in vanilla. I didn't do everything, but I didn't have to. Group content was foreign to me at that point in my gaming career. I hated feeling like I was "Forced" to play with other people. But you could absolutely reach level 60 and do plenty of farming and rep grinding solo if you were smart.

But if you didn't enjoy farming mats and rep, there really wasn't anything else to do. All the content of any significance required a group, and more often than not, a guild. Some classes, especially hunters, could get away with A LOT by abusing the terrible pathing and AI. IIRC there was a guy who solo'd most dungeons up to BRD or something by using Feign Death, freeze traps, and leashing to split packs. Took forever, but was doable back then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh okay, so you could get out of full greens/rares and be in full epics all by yourself?

Lol, just stop please.
    i think the "you couldent get far past level 10"
    is a 100% lie
    you could solo your way to 60, after that you needed friends yes.
    but your "couldent get far past level 10" is a 1000000% lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    I think you guys were misunderstanding each others. I really don't think he play on private server, it make no sense based on what he's saying, he also fails horribly a communicating his opinion (no offence).

As for soloing up to 60, it's technically possible but nobodies does that, we all group up for certain quests and for dungeons but you can skip these if you REALLY want, you'll just miss on good gear and extra exp.

Of course you need a guild to raid and a group to do dungeons, that's a given but you don't need to be friend with them.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

You underestimate the appeal of vanilla to old school MMO players

The most reasonable expectation in my mind is this:

1. Massive surge of players at launch, server issues and new servers having to be opened.
    2. Mass exodus after a few weeks/months.
    3. Underpopulated servers causing server mergers etc.
    4. The remaining servers will have a healthy amount of die hard fans, that will enjoy the game for a long, long time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i think the "you couldent get far past level 10"
    is a 100% lie
    you could solo your way to 60, after that you needed friends yes.
    but your "couldent get far past level 10" is a 1000000% lie.
    please stop i am begging u

Deleted
    I've played since Vanilla and while Vanilla was an amazing experience...

Not everybody remembers or knows why Vanilla was so good: the social interaction requirement. Just gonna list some things that not many really realize or know about Vanilla.

EVERYTHING required you to socialize in order to progress, if you weren't in a guild or had a friend list with at least 5 or more friends then you weren't going to get that far past level 10.
    I need to take a shower, this stupidity makes me feel dirty only by reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I will be honest: The absolute best character for leveling in Vanilla will be either a mage or a hunter. Hunter pets with Spirit Link were BUUUUUULLLLLLSHIT for leveling. You also got Aspect of the Cheeta fairly early to speed up travel, so that helped a lot too. Repairs were low, but you had to buy ammo...so...yeah.
    You also had to feed your pet (and feed it the right food too) to keep it happy

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I borrow your crystal ball I want top know next weeks lottery numbers :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merillo View Post
    I need to take a shower, this stupidity makes me feel dirty only by reading it.
    Yeah you are rank with it man, a shower is definitely in order for you.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post

Mages were arguably better, though, because you could AOE farm like a madman. There was no cap on how many enemies could be hit by your AOE like there is now. I remember seeing mages pull entire camps and kite/AOE them. Especially out in EPL for Argent Dawn rep/Runecloth farming.

And if you took the time to travel around and do the Tauren, Orc, and Forsaken starting zones, you not only got a LOT of reputation(which effects vendor prices saving you gold), but kept you above the level range of each zone as you entered it later on. As long as you kept being willing to jump back and forth between continents, you would never have to just grind. This is why mages were a good choice too.

But here's the kicker: Grinding was arguably FASTER than questing during Vanilla. You got a good spot and just sat down and farmed. One more reason to hate how Vanilla was set up.
    Yeah was fun to try and level as a mage specially as fire, though was told much later on that frost was better for CC and survivability.. But back then since I knew so little of the game it had never occurred to me back then to go to the other continent and do those zone over there.. But it was an epic journey to be sure whether I play on classic servers remains to be seen but I am not going to bust a gut about it that's for sure..

@mmowin: Don't expect your live guilds to all want to hop on the classic train. Many should expect to find a new guild for that game that's more dedicated to the game. You'll see some crossover, but a full on double guild is probably going to be rare in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    Been talking to my guild about forming a pvp guild once Classic Servers launch and almost all of them always reply with the same shit. "Dude youre gonna hate classic wow. Dont bother with it." or "Classic WoW is gonna be such a huge failure once the casuals realize just how miserable it is." or "Classic Servers will be popular with the casuals for a few weeks, then it'll fizzle out." or "Vanilla WoW sucked why would you wanna play that shit?"

I really dont understand all the hatred toward Classic WoW servers? I never had a chance to play Classic WoW and I wanna play it is that so wrong? People are so negative when you bring up the topic of classic wow servers what gives?
    It's poorly balanced, is purposely inconvenient and requires massive time investments to do anything and everything. Most people who start won't make it to 60. It's not bad though, depends on your perspective.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You also had to feed your pet (and feed it the right food too) to keep it happy
    Hahaha! I forgot about that! This was also when pets would leave PERMANENTLY if you left them unhappy for too long. >_<

please stop i am begging u
    Why? Your lies should be exposed as the lies they are. Or maybe you needed to be carried by other people beyond level 10 or to get decent pre-Raid gear. But then you just suck at this game. Which is hillarious considering how easy Vanilla was.