Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I really dislike disabled people. A healthy person (someone who is most likely beneficial to society ) should always get priority in such situations over a disabled person who is most likely not beneficial to society.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-12-25 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    Those spaces are designated for disabled people. Standing there means you know you might have to move your ass, even if its off the transport.

If some guy and his family park their van in front of a fire hydrant because they needed that space, does the guy whose house is burning nearby just get fucked? No, the van gets towed/pushed out of the way. The "needs" of the many do not out-weigh the necesities of the few.
    Yes people potentially dying is totally equal to some entitled cunt having to wait for 5-20 minutes for the next train. Extremely good argument that you have going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    If there isn't any room, there isn't any room. I was stuck on a train last month on the way home from a three day trip and due to delays and a suicide on the track the carriage was full to bursting. Someone with a wheelchair was brought on board, taking up a significant amount of room in the process - and people were already squeezed together in the aisles. It was hell.

More people wanted to get on, they couldn't - because there wasn't any room at all. One person on the train I was on fainted due to overheating - and I was left with cuts on my feet due to standing up for hours and having people step on them. I ended up getting compensation in the form of a full refund and free first class tickets due to how bad it was.

There's two sides to every story. Would it be possible to squeeze her on? Maybe - at the cost of the safety and comfort of a considerable number of people.
    Did you even read the OP's post?

"Everyone else waiting on the platform got on,"

10+ Year Old Account
    The London Underground around Christmas is like squeezing into a clown car :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Sooo... was there any room?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    Actually, the vehicle wouldn't get towed. That'd take too much time. It'd get vandalized and destroyed within reason to allow the fire truck access to the hydrant. Time is of the essence and the owner would be told, in so many words, to get fucked (with a hefty fine on top of things).
    Yes, that's why I said "or pushed." I didn't say it would be a nice push

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yes people potentially dying is totally equal to some entitled cunt having to wait for 5-20 minutes for the next train. Extremely good argument that you have going there.
    It's worlds better than your argument. Good rebuttal though.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Deleted
    That is why most people (unreasonably) dislike diabled people; this needy selfish attitude from some of you. You honestly think one handicapped person should be prioritized over 3-4 other people that are already standing there? Feel free to take offense.
    It's the rules lol

If somebody who isn't disabled is using a disabled bay they have to vacate. Nobody is telling anybody to get off a train

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Honestly I think this rule is horseshit. If the train is full, they kick people off? Or tell her to wait?

I always use handicap accessible amenities if they are open (such as bathrooms). If there are 2 bathrooms, and one is handicap accessible, both have 5 people in line, I am not letting the handicap person go ahead of me. They can wait like I did.
    Nobody is getting kicked off they just have to stand

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I really dislike disabled people. A healthy person (someone who is most likely beneficial to society ) should always get priority in such situations over a disabled person who is most likely not beneficial to society.
    I imagine you're a great contribution to society

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It's the rules lol

If somebody who isn't disabled is using a disabled bay they have to vacate. Nobody is telling anybody to get off a train
    If the train is full and you still demand to get on it, then that is what you are telling people.

Deleted
    If the train is full and you still demand to get on it, then that is what you are telling people.
    No they're telling them to stand... If the train was full the people behind her couldn't have gotten on. If the train is full beyond capacity the train staff will say who can enter

No they're telling them to stand... If the train was full the people behind her couldn't have gotten on. If the train is full beyond capacity the train staff will say who can enter
    Have you ever actually used a public transportation, especially during rush hour? I mean we don't know how full it was, but when a train is full, and you try to press more people into it someone near the congestion points will usually point out there is no more space. Maybe you brits have a tons of conductors running around, but I'd guess you also just have one person to operate the train whose only input is a mirror on the the station and the sounds of people shouting.

Deleted
    that is bitch to whine about not getting on a train! deal with it! people dont always catch the train!!!

If it's for normal IC train, do you not have reserved seating? It's pretty much standard in Finland. You can use internet or the normal ticket machine to select and choose your seat at your own leisure. This way you'll know for sure if the train is actually full or not. People won't/can't take over your seat either this way.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    What a wonderful human.
    I won't apologize for a general understanding of fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Seems like a pretty safe assumption she is "pulling the victim card" since there is no indication in any of the half dozen articles on the matter or the woman's own words whether there was actually space on the train.

If there was space and they discriminated against her, then we'd have something to discuss, but she doesn't claim that, she merely claims the passenger said it was full and the staff listened to that passenger and didn't let her on... And if it was full then there is nothing to discuss, she has no more right to board than anyone else, being in a wheelchair doesn't mean other people have to get off the train to make space for her...

With regard to the bold, I am in a wheelchair and literally had career opportunities ruined over inadequate accommodations, so is my opinion valid or have I not "dealt with enough" for my opinion to matter either?
    Your opinion matters. Doesn't mean you're characterizing this situation correctly.

For you to say what she did was "pulling the victim card" would be no different than saying that you are pulling the victim card by simply stating that jobs didn't work out or didn't happen because of inadequate accommodations.

I don't think that, but it seems odd that you would.

As for "full", I've found that to be tremendously subjective. Ever been on a bus or train in China or Japan or India? It's crazy. I only did it in China, but still.

I've ridden public transportation in a number of cities in the US and people bitch and moan about having to stand AT ALL. So was it "full" because people didn't want to stand or didn't want to stand close to others or was it Japan train full.

And full is up to the staff based on the rules of the region or country, not some passenger.

Lastly, if there are seats reserved for those in wheelchairs (generally the flip up kind), then they should have tried to figure something out. Anyone who sits in those seats knows that they can be asked to move at any time.

If it was really full, then fine. Full is full. But mentioning that a passenger denied her entrance isn't "pulling the victim card". Such language obviates the ability to even state that a problem exists, let alone if one is affected by the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Wow.

That one post is so densely packed with belligerent ignorance, I'm almost impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sooo... was there any room?
    The only question worth asking and talking about has yet to be answered. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I won't apologize for a general understanding of fairness.
    Totally not surprising considering your stated (mis)understanding of fairness.

Deleted
    What a self-important cunt.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    A wheelchair takes up a lot of space to be fair, and looking at how crammed trains can get sometimes it's not always going to fit.

And indeed, the question is was there actually not enough space for her or was there? Some people love to pull the victim card a bit too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sooo... was there space for her?
    "Everyone else waiting on the platform got on,"
    You think there was space for everyone who wanted on the train except the one person in a wheelchair? How naive/stupid can you get lmao. That's either a crazy coincidence or (much more likely) there was space.
    And that's ignoring the fact that if there was legitimately not enough space no one person would have needed to block the door as the door would have been blocked by the press of people. Logically the fact this person felt the need to stand in the entry and block passage suggests that without her passage would have been possible and thus there must have been enough space.
    Ily mmoc

If she's so good with the wheelchair why does she needs a train? Just ride the wheelchair along the train and show them the finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    Totally not surprising considering your stated (mis)understanding of fairness.
    That everyone should have to wait the same amount of time, regardless of personal characteristics? Your viewpoint of handicap as a privilege is shocking, to say the least.