Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Asmongold: A good representation of the WoW community?

So I follow Asmongold on Twitch and I subscribed to him on YouTube because I think he has a lot of good insight into the community, basically because he is so entrenched into the community as a whole. I feel like he has a good grasp on whats going on, and he keeps himself informed and up-to-date on the game and how the community feels about the changes made to the game on a regular basis.

My question is this: Do you feel like Asmongold is a good representation of the WoW community as a whole? He may be a little brash, but I think most players relate to his brashness when it comes to everything about this game. He regularly puts out how-to videos to do achievements and such, and he voices his opinions on good and bad changes to the game, which I highly respect.

Not to mention that hes a funny guy. I think its kind of funny how he plays in his attic room, and usually is wearing a beanie and some type of holiday shirt / sweater.

I feel like he represents what the WoW community is as a whole (generally). I know there are many types of players, but he fits the mantra of the typical WoW player imo.

Loud, obnoxious, self-absorbed, and vastly overestimating his own worth? Definitely an accurate representation of the average wow player.

And also your avatar.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

7+ Year Old Account
    Eh, if he is a good representation of the WoW community I guess I'm not part of the majority! He might put up some good information on stuff, sure, but I just don't like the guy otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of WoW players don't even do Mythics, so - no - he represents the Casual Minority if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The vast majority of WoW players don't even do Mythics, so - no - he represents the Casual Minority if anything.
    Are you saying the system that was designed for casuals and casual progression is not used by casuals? Strong argument there.

He's mostly just a troll. While there are many trollish people that play, I do not consider them to be anywhere near the majority, else the game would be far too toxic to play via subscription.

This is several years old, but its all I need to know about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzy1uUgeRPI&t=3s

Deleted
    Asmongold is mah boi.

At least, that's what he always claims.

"Asmongold" the character, is indeed loud, obnoxious, self-entitled, etc. He puts on that act to draw people in and you can't deny, it's been highly successful for him. On the other hand though, Zach does have very good insight on the community and game as a whole, he's a very smart individual. Just check out his IRL YouTube channel to get a better feel for how he is outside of the persona he puts on, it's worth it.

He's trash. He's pretty much the amalgamation of everything bad in the WoW community into one, toxic person.

this thread is going places.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So I follow Asmongold on Twitch and I subscribed to him on YouTube because I think he has a lot of good insight into the community, basically because he is so entrenched into the community as a whole. I feel like he has a good grasp on whats going on, and he keeps himself informed and up-to-date on the game and how the community feels about the changes made to the game on a regular basis.

My question is this: Do you feel like Asmongold is a good representation of the WoW community as a whole? He may be a little brash, but I think most players relate to his brashness when it comes to everything about this game. He regularly puts out how-to videos to do achievements and such, and he voices his opinions on good and bad changes to the game, which I highly respect.

Not to mention that hes a funny guy. I think its kind of funny how he plays in his attic room, and usually is wearing a beanie and some type of holiday shirt / sweater.

I feel like he represents what the WoW community is as a whole (generally). I know there are many types of players, but he fits the mantra of the typical WoW player imo.
    He represents a very small portion of the already small Mythic raiding playerbase. There is a reason why pet battlers, people that catalog hunter pets, random youtubers, etc have been immortalized in WoW but asmongold has not. He's toxic. His videos that aren't tutorials are all whines filled with short sighted feedback that would only serve to create bigger problems than they would solve. Bonus points if you look up the video of his "lair" on YouTube. That's good times right there. You can sum up most of his non-Tutorial content with "blizzard knows nothing, I know everything, this is why WoW is garbage ... but I totally like WoW."

Towelliee, as obnoxious as he is, is a better representation of the average WoW player, and even then it's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    This is several years old, but its all I need to know about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzy1uUgeRPI&t=3s
    There it is!

Quote Originally Posted by iETHOSi View Post
    "Asmongold" the character, is indeed loud, obnoxious, self-entitled, etc. He puts on that act to draw people in and you can't deny, it's been highly successful for him. On the other hand though, Zach does have very good insight on the community and game as a whole, he's a very smart individual. Just check out his IRL YouTube channel to get a better feel for how he is outside of the persona he puts on, it's worth it.
    I'm sure in real life he's not nearly as toxic as he comes across in his WoW videos, or I'd hope so anyway. Definitely disagree about his insight on the community and game as a whole. For example the feature that he's whined about the most over the last year is staying for BfA, because he can't realize that his problems, my problems, our problems as Mythic raiders, don't apply to roughly 97% of the game's population. His solutions to his problems have always involved fucking every single other person outside of our bubble. His solutions are ALWAYS like using a cannon to kill a mosquito.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2017-12-28 at 04:34 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never knowingly eaten rotten food that had maggots on it. I have watched a video of Asmongold do that. So if he is a good representation of the average WoW player, i am glad i am not average.

Na, he's just a loud, toxic, obnoxious, attention-seeking and maggot loving elitist scum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Just like you...

I don't mind him, he is somewhat egotistical but it is warranted as he is doing the content as it was intended, no pillows. Most of the people saying he is toxic are following that up with a statement equally as toxic, so it really just goes to prove Jaylock's point. People here don't seem to grasp what actually being Toxic is. A great example is, though great raiders at the time, Blood Legion's raid videos. That is a toxic environment, but once again Mythic raiding is a different animal and requires a different kind of player. He is more trolling with his persona but he has a good grasp of the ins and outs of the game. He is far from toxic, maybe to casual players he is, but anyone that raids the most difficult content would call him anything but. He is actually pretty tame. I've personally found many of his videos to be funny or helpful in some degree. Of course I don't agree with EVERYTHING he says, but I'm not so naive to believe everyone should think identically to me.
    Last edited by Hellrime; 2017-12-28 at 04:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellrime View Post
    I don't mind him, he is somewhat egotistical but it is warranted as he is doing the content as it was intended, no pillows. Most of the people saying he is toxic are following that up with a statement equally as toxic, so it really just goes to prove Jaylock's point. People here don't seem to grasp what actually being Toxic is. A great example is, though great raiders at the time, Blood Legion's raid videos. That is a toxic environment, but once again Mythic raiding is a different animal and requires a different kind of player. He is more trolling with his persona but he has a good grasp of the ins and outs of the game. He is far from toxic, maybe to casual players he is, but anyone that raids the most difficult content would call him anything but. He is actually pretty tame. I've personally found many of his videos to be funny or helpful in some degree. Of course I don't agree with EVERYTHING he says, but I'm not so naive to believe everyone should think identically to me.
    This is essentially what I am saying in regards to his presence in the WoW community. He is a lot more tame than several people believe. If you watch his youtube how-to videos, he is very cool, positive, and you can tell he genuinely wants people to succeed in playing the game. He often goes out of his way to help other players, and to provide them tips and tricks for improving their dps. He knows intimately about every class and he usually is top dps on any class he plays, so I feel like he is a good reference point for how to improve in that arena.

When Jaylock asks a question, the answer is most certainly "no".

A grown man calling himself a boy is not someone I'd want anything to do with. Most people in WoW are not like that so no, I don't think he represent anything other than himself.

You have to be blind if you think "Asmongold" is not just a character.
    He ia a great actor on his stream and ppl love it.
    Do not like him do not watch him. Simply as that.