Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Exclamation Canada spews cold on US

Erie has received 97 inches of snow in December.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arctic-co...164441286.html

According to data from the National Weather Service, the 34 inches of snow that fell on December 25, 2017 in Erie, Pennsylvania, was the highest the city had ever recorded, eclipsing the previous high of 20 inches in November 1956 (AFP Photo/Mark Makela)

Ottawa (AFP) - A homeless man froze to death at a bus stop in Ohio and people in Pennsylvania resorted to a bulldozer to clear snow Wednesday, as an Arctic snap gripped most of Canada and the northern United States.

In Canada, extreme cold warnings were issued for scores of communities across the country, including the heavily-populated provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

In the United States, a homeless man froze to death at a bus stop in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, local media said, quoting police and a homeless charity.

While Toronto reported temperatures of minus 15 C (5 F) and Ottawa minus 25 C, the coldest spot in Canada was minus 42.8 C in Armstrong, Ontario, according to Environment Canada.

Extreme cold warnings are issued "when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia," the government agency said.

The temperatures were 10 to 20 degrees below what is normal for the season, said meteorologist Alexandre Parent with Environment Canada.

The deep cold is forecast to remain until early January, he said.

"In my memory I have never seen cold weather that settles for such a long time in such a broad expanse," Parent said.

High winds of up to 120 kilometers (76 miles) per hour linked to the low temperatures have left almost 160,000 homes in the eastern province of Nova Scotia -- almost one-third of the power company's customers -- without electricity, officials said.

In the United States, brutal sub-zero temperatures were recorded in places like Duluth, Minnesota (minus 37.7 C) on Tuesday, and Minot, North Dakota (minus 29 C).

- Record snowfall in Erie -

A storm dumped a record-breaking five feet (nearly 1.5 meters) of snow in a 48-hour period on the Pennsylvania city of Erie, forcing officials to declare an emergency.

"The snow's been crazy, oh my gosh, tons of snow. Running out of places to put it," said Tom Nowosielski, whose department store was doing a brisk trade in shovels, road salt, and car tire chains.

He said he planned to use a bulldozer to help a family member clear his driveway. "That's a first for us," he said.

Residents shared stunning photos of the whiteout on social media, with meteorologists attributing the 58 inches (147 centimeters) of snow that fell over Christmas Day, Monday, to Tuesday evening to icy winds blowing over the adjoining Lake Erie, one of North America's Great Lakes.

More snow was expected at a rate of up to an inch or two per hour as residents were warned to stay off the roads.

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf announced that the National Guard was "providing high clearance all-terrain military vehicles to aid local agencies with medical emergency and law enforcement response."

According to data from the National Weather Service, the 34 inches of snow that fell on December 25 was the highest the city had ever recorded, eclipsing the previous high of 20 inches on November 22, 1956.

Erie has received 97 inches of snow in December, making it the snowiest month in the city's history -- which usually averages about 100 inches of snow in an entire season.

In Minot, whose Air Force base houses a battery of Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, the air was so cold that residents said it hurt simply to breathe in.

"The air hurts your face. And it hurts to breathe. Your skin instantly steams when you go outside," said Morgan Alonia, 27, manager of the Broadway Bean and Bagel cafe.

"If you put your hand out the door, your hand will steam," he said. "We took a pot of boiling water outside yesterday, and threw it in the air and made snow."

Unusually low temperatures were also recorded in the US northern Atlantic states.

In New York, weather authorities told residents to expect temperatures of between minus 12.7 C and minus 6.6 C through Saturday, which they described as "well below the normal," and Governor Andrew Cuomo warned residents to prepare for "dangerously cold weather ahead."
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-12-28 at 03:20 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I would not want to drive through that. can't imagine the damage that would be done if those walls collapsed.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s beautiful to me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I bet people still leave their dogs out in it. Assholes.

I’m used to cold weather living in Fairbanks, AK, but it normally doesn’t get 97 inches, lol. However, I’ve seen snow get this high once.
    I have a triple layered Sheba/American Eskimo mix, hes loving the Wisconsin snow and cold

I bet people still leave their dogs out in it. Assholes.

I’m used to cold weather living in Fairbanks, AK, where it can get as cold as -60, but it normally doesn’t get 97 inches, lol. However, I’ve seen snow get this high once in AK. I don’t recall the place, but I remember the snow walls.
    -80 is the record low for AK. -60 is the record low for my state. We're talking degrees F, not C. For our international friends, -42 is where F and C are the same temperature.

It was -30 in parts of my state yesterday, and I had to wake up to shovel to get my car out.

Cover any exposed skin, keep moving, eat extra calories. Winter survival.

Edit: I haven't even turned the heater on yet. I'm totally fine with wearing three hoodies while at home.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I had a car remote start in AK. That shit is awesome.
    /button
    /car starts
    ...now how do I get to the car....?

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly it is caused by global warming

but...but...the co2 levels...heat...HEAT.....HEATTTTTTT

Anyone who thinks that a temporary cold wave is proof that global warming isn't real is a fucking idiot.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

Honestly, I never really had too much of an issue with that. We had a garage, but we kept our mustang in there. The truck was parked directly in front of it and snow plows were always on the ball. The truck running for a good hour would melt majority of the accumulated snow on it, but there were times when it was just too much and we’d have to get out there and wipe it off.
    One year we got a "surprise" 30 inches of snow (nearly a meter, for the rational people) overnight. We knew it was going to snow, but not that much.

It took two days to free my car. Sure, we'd cleared a path the first day. But then the plows came and put a five foot pile of snow at the end of the driveway. Another day to clear a path through that.

Fortunately we were stocked up on canned goods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    Anyone who thinks that a temporary cold wave is proof that global warming isn't real is a fucking idiot.
    Just use the mantra: weather is not climate. With the caveat that climate can create interesting weather.

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    but...but...the co2 levels...heat...HEAT.....HEATTTTTTT
    I knew you'd show up, but hey, keep proving the stereotype of Trump supporters!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Yeah, living on a military base, the plows have to get the roads clear. We never went a day where they didn’t come out.
    I think the thing that made me most sad, was our mailbox got buried in the process. We dug out a hole to get to it, but the poor USPS driver had to climb up onto a snowbank to get there.

Dedication!

10+ Year Old Account
    xD Is this where I get all of you guys to glare hatred at me and say that the day Arizona froze over, hell would truly have ice water? Its 60 (16c) right now and sunny...

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    That just proves they dont understand what global warming IS.

One thing I disliked on that Base was that they had all the mailboxes at the top of the road. I assume to make it easier for the mailman in the snow. We also had one main big trash bin up there too, which is done so animals don’t come near your house looking for food. I hated taking out the trash in the winter. Sometimes I’d just leave the bags in the back of the truck till we planned on leaving the circle and passed the bin on our way out.
    Yeah, I have to go down a flight of stairs to get to my trash bin. Haven't shoveled that yet. FML.

On goes the fourth hoodie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    That just proves they dont understand what global warming IS.
    It's climate change, which will lead to unexpected weather extremes. Meanwhile, processes like ice caps melting are actually a cooling process.

In the long term, Venus is our example of runaway greenhouse effect.

Edit to add: Venus should be visible for most of you. It's the brightest thing in the sky other than the moon.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-12-28 at 06:09 PM.

Better hope someone doesn’t take up yodeling as hobby in that car. There might be an avalanche.
    Littleoldladywhooooo.... Kek...

Just make sure you clear your tail pipes before turning your cars on, people die every snow storm because they overlook that.

Yikes. Good luck and stay warm.
    It's more a question of which playlist I'm going to use.

I think maybe the one that starts with Rage Against the Machine, "Know Your Enemy."

Need to build a wall to keep the white walkers out and their weather.