Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    That's not true, there's plenty in the Bible that suggests otherwise and, in fact, for a long time the most influential christian Churchs believed in geocentrism. There's no doubt in my mind religion is the number one reason behind some people still having trouble grasping the concept of life existing on other planets. As for your last statement, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. It's certainly wise to be skeptic of UFO claims, but that doesn't mean the possibility isn't there.
    It is. Just keep in mind there are many interpretations. Anyway, I will avoid the discussion on such to avoid a infraction or the thread getting shut down. But one can easily take a stance we are not being visited by aliens from another world because there is zero tangible evidence we are. The one who thinks we are being visited is relying on hearsay and fuzzy pictures or videos which which at most only indicate something not known to be common is flying around at faster speeds then we know is humanly possible. Plus, who says these craft are even piloted by humans?

That's not true, there's plenty in the Bible that suggests otherwise and, in fact, for a long time the most influential christian Churchs believed in geocentrism. There's no doubt in my mind religion is the number one reason behind some people still having trouble grasping the concept of life existing on other planets. As for your last statement, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. It's certainly wise to be skeptic of UFO claims, but that doesn't mean the possibility isn't there.
    if you'll look up the book of enoch, there's shit in it that is suspect.

it was removed from the rest of the bible sometime during the dark ages, along with a bunch of other books, because they didn't suit what the leadership wanted to portray.

5+ Year Old Account
    The watch you when you POOP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is.
    No. It isn't. The Bible is very anthropocentric and very clear about it.

But one can easily take a stance we are not being visited by aliens from another world because there is zero tangible evidence we are.
    And I repeat: the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. And while it's very likely that an ufo sighting ends up being a hoax/optical illusion/man-made object/bird/funny looking cloud/not alien, the possibility is still there and we'd do well to take it seriously. Didn't we take to the Moon? Aren't we still trying to figure out ways to go to Mars and possibly beyond? It's not science fiction to consider the possibility that one or multiple alien races across the universe have managed to reach a similar or superior technology level, enabling them to visit far-away planets such as ours.

Main problem: imagine civilization so advanced they managed to detect our planet without us detecting them, being able to send ships all through space over here, for no other reason that to observe - and then this civilization is too stupid to remain undetected by ordinary cameras on planes?

They made no clear contact, meaning they want to remain undetected, and then such fail?

Improbable. In the past people explained with gods what they couldn't understand. Be cautious so you don't make the same error with aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

And I repeat: the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. And while it's very likely that an ufo sighting ends up being a hoax/optical illusion/man-made object/bird/funny looking cloud/not alien, the possibility is still there and we'd do well to take it seriously. Didn't we take to the Moon? Aren't we still trying to figure out ways to go to Mars and possibly beyond? It's not science fiction to consider the possibility that one or multiple alien races across the universe have managed to reach a similar or superior technology level, enabling them to visit far-away planets such as ours.
    Mars is like walking 100 feet to your mail box , compared to the closest single star outside of our own in our Galaxy, being like traveling by foot around the world. Beyond? Maybe to one of Jupiter's moons. The distances are just too vast. And that is taken into consideration they can reach the speed of light, which is far superior to how fast we can travel. Extraordinarily faster. But even the speed of light is snails pace speed when it comes to intergalactic travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Main problem: imagine civilization so advanced they managed to detect our planet without us detecting them, being able to send ships all through space over here, for no other reason that to observe - and then this civilization is too stupid to remain undetected by ordinary cameras on planes?

They made no clear contact, meaning they want to remain undetected, and then such fail?

Improbable. In the past people explained with gods what they couldn't understand. Be cautious so you don't make the same error with aliens.
    That is a excellent point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post

They could just be easing their way in with getting "caught" every now and then. I mean if they just landed and say "hey what up ya'll" people are probably going to freak out, but this way it slowly opens the door for full contact.

As I said in my first post I believe there's alien life out there. I'm just skeptical about the chances of there being advanced, intelligent life who would/could actually visit us.

First we need proof of earth-like planets elsewhere. Or proof that other types of life could exist and evolve into intelligence without requiring earth-like conditions.
    I think earth-like planets are probably extremely rare. For reasons: see rare earth theory. It's about the combination of all those factors that made earth possible and a safe haven to life.

Any potential earth-like planet would still be different from earth and any potential life on there would evolve completely differently as well. The way humans evolved on earth after hundreds of millions of years seems utterly random to me. We might as well be a fluke. The outcome of any evolutionary process happening elsewhere will be totally different every time.

But IF they exist and if they are as rare as I think they are, it's likely that the distances between them and us are enormous.
    They need to detect us first and then travel here. Both are huge, huge obstacles. They face the same challenges and the same physical limits as we do.

And here's something else to consider: only aliens who happen to live very closeby (on a cosmic scale) could ever detect modern humans from a distance.
    Any potential aliens living further away in the universe would observe earth from the time when (modern) humans weren't even around. So they'd have to travel here, spending hundreds of thousands or millions of years (unless they found a way to break the speed of light), based on a possible detection of life on prehistoric earth. Yeah... maybe send a probe first?
    Last edited by deepr; 2017-12-23 at 11:48 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Besides, I need to be at work to watch the Evangelicals melt down because Satan is coming in his starship. We're talking the super-size bucket of popcorn.
    Lol, awesome. I would join you if I could.

I hope they're watching. It must be entertaining as hell, and somebody needs to learn from and catalogue humanity's mistakes after society implodes.

They've also proven they're incredibly smart by not trying to contact us.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Mars is like walking 100 feet to your mail box , compared to the closest single star outside of our own in our Galaxy, being like traveling by foot around the world. Beyond? Maybe to one of Jupiter's moons. The distances are just too vast. And that is taken into consideration they can reach the speed of light, which is far superior to how fast we can travel. Extraordinarily faster. But even the speed of light is snails pace speed when it comes to intergalactic travel.
    The speed of light is a snail's pace to humans, sure. An alien race might not feel the same way, ~70 year life spans might be very abnormal for a species capable of interstellar travel. A second problem this idea poses is that it assumes we understand the basics of physics in the universe, when it is incredibly likely we do not, we are only separated from a plains dwelling ape by a few hundred generations at this point, the fact that our still essential animalian brains can even start to understand is surprising. In the 21st century we routinely do what previous generations considered magic or never even considered the possibility of it, the limits you see now aren't necessarily any more insurmountable. Claiming interstellar (Or even intergalactic) travel is impossible is like considering rapid Trans-Atlantic communication impossible because the winds can only push a ship so fast, and everyone knows ships cannot go faster then the wind that is pushing them. Times change, barriers fall.

Aliens will probably always exist in the "Plausible" category if we are using mythbuster ratings. Like many conspiracy theories they just aren't falsifiable. You could potentially prove they exist, but you can't prove they don't exist until you search every piece of rock in every galaxy in the universe. I find the idea of Aliens to be fascinating, but it is extremely unlikely that they have interacted with this planet at any time. Like it was previously stated, we can't assume that Aliens are the answer to things we don't understand. Like Gods, Ghosts, and Voter Fraud, they might exist, but there is no real evidence pointing to it.