Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do witches/pagans still get portrayed in an outdated and evil stereotype manner?

(and the next image(s) as well) As a European Pagan I find these to be upsetting and unwanted stereotypes, from an open minded and modern company like Blizzard (I expected better or more nuances at least)... I can see the image of the bad witch, is still deeply engrained in American culture sadly...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venkel View Post
    (and the next image(s) as well) As a European Pagan I find these to be upsetting and unwanted stereotypes, from an open minded and modern company like Blizzard (I expected better or more nuances at least)... I can see the image of the bad witch, is still deeply engrained in American culture sadly...
    Religion takes a while to flush out of the system

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    The whole "Livin in forest and eating human meat" is probably part of that.

To be honest, you could ask why are there still a lot of stereotypes?

The fact remains it's just standard.

It sucks but what you're suffering is probably how millions of Muslims feel when they are branded terrorists when they're not.

Pretty sure they've said it's supposed to be based on the Salem Witch Trials, but if there were actually witches. The women accused in game are in fact the player's ally, and you help them prove their innocence.

This is a GAME, not real life.

Because they are actual witches?

Deleted
    Are you f*in serious?

Deleted
    You are confusing stereotypes and archetypes.

Stereotypes is an abstraction of qualities from a certain group, and then the application of said qualities to every individual member of the group.

An archetype is a fundamental part of stories in generel. The evil witch (fx. Malificient) is an archetype, so is the white knight (Prince Philip), the wise king (dumbledore), the tyran (Cornelius Fudge) etc.

It is a fantasy game, fantasy is based on myths, legends and fairy tales. There are a lot of european stories about evil witches living in the forest and eating children.

Deleted
    What about all the good depictions of paganism like druids and gilnean harvest witches? Do all representations have to be good in this made up fantasy world?

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    This is a GAME, not real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Because they are actual witches?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmow View Post
    Are you f*in serious?
    Pretty much this

Deleted
    It's the same way as Nazis being portrayed as the ultimate evil force until eternity. Helps keeping the narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLighty View Post
    What about all the good depictions of paganism like druids and gilnean harvest witches? Do all representations have to be good in this made up fantasy world?
    If its a positive stereotype it doesnt count!

/s
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohhh, trigger over 9000

if a person can be retarded enough to believe magic is real, then people can also make up whatever bad guy they want to.

7+ Year Old Account
    You're confusing a trope with a stereotype here. And tropes are used in many fantasy and scifi media (books, comics, games,...) to help the consumer get into the make-believe world by having something be already familiar. (Which is why most fantasy worlds use many of the same races with same attributes)
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Quote Originally Posted by pts99 View Post
    You are confusing stereotypes and archetypes.

Stereotypes is an abstraction of qualities from a certain group, and then the application of said qualities to every individual member of the group.

An archetype is a fundamental part of stories in generel. The evil witch (fx. Malificient) is an archetype, so is the white knight (Prince Philip), the wise king (dumbledore), the tyran (Cornelius Fudge) etc.
    Fundamentally archetypes are just stereotypes with a successful character surrounding them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    You're confusing a trope with a stereotype here. And tropes are used in many fantasy and scifi media (books, comics, games,...) to help the consumer get into the make-believe world by having something be already familiar. (Which is why most fantasy worlds use many of the same races with same attributes)
    And again, tropes are just stereotypes with a successful character surrounding them. But what can I expect from a sub-forum that would struggle on a GED English exam?
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Fundamentally archetypes are just stereotypes with a successful character surrounding them.

- - - Updated - - -

And again, tropes are just stereotypes with a successful character surrounding them. But what can I expect from a sub-forum that would struggle on a GED English exam?
    Don't you mean "With a GED English exam"?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Why does a video game upset you so much