Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Your best Hangover Cures and Advice?

Your best Hangover Cures and Advice?

OK its New Years Eve tomorrow so most of us will prolly have 1 to many shandys and wake up with a throbbing hangover so what is your best hangover cures?

Ive been drinking since i was about 12 maybe even younger but iam 38 now and im my experience a sports drink like Gatoraid does wonders for hangovers cause it contains electrolytes and it hydrates you so i recommend drinking a bottle before you go to sleep.

So do you know any better hangover cures apart from that old trope of just not drinking which lets face it aint much fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't stop drinking and you won't get a hangover....or just don't drink at all.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Pretty sure this was already a thread.

But yea, Glass of water and Tylenol before bed, then a shot of pickle juice in the morning.

The best answer was already suggested in that you should never stop drinking.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This seems counterintuitive but it works for me.

I eat like 2 large pizzas from dominos. IDK why, but it elimated any and all hangovers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Drink a lot of water before you go to bed. The majority of hangover symptoms are caused by dehydration.

if it's before drinking, eat some walnuts and almonds.
    if you're already drunk, sea food soup works perfectly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Pretty sure this was already a thread.

But yea, Glass of water and Tylenol before bed, then a shot of pickle juice in the morning.

The best answer was already suggested in that you should never stop drinking.
    No no no no, 1000x no. Do NOT ever take Tylenol and alcohol at the same time. Acetominophen (paracetamol to those on the other side of the pond) is a liver toxin in a high enough dosage (normal healthy adults can supposedly tolerate 3g/day without any negative effects on the liver). But alcohol prevents it from being broken down, bringing the liver destroying dosage to lower than what's in a single pill. Aspirin is fine. Ibuprofen is fine. DO NOT touch acetominophen if you've had any alcohol.

The way it works is, alcohol interferes with proteins/enzymes that are responsible for breaking down acetominophen, thus greatly lowering the amount needed for overdose and acute liver failure. http://thehealthydrinker.com/2011/01...l-and-alcohol/
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-12-31 at 06:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Borscht works every time.

Best prevention is to not drink on an empty stomach. Also, don't mix beer + spirits. Eat a banana before you go to bed (sounds stupid but it helps).

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    No no no no, 1000x no. Do NOT ever take Tylenol and alcohol at the same time. Acetominophen is a liver toxin in a high enough dosage (normal healthy adults can supposedly tolerate 3g/day without any negative effects on the liver). But alcohol prevents it from being broken down, bringing the liver destroying dosage to lower than what's in a single pill. Aspirin is fine. Ibuprofen is fine. DO NOT touch acetominophen if you've had any alcohol.
    I didn't know there was a difference. After checking, I take Ibuprofen and have been using tylenol as a blanket statement for all asprins/ibuprofens for years. Good to know.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know there was a difference. After checking, I take Ibuprofen and have been using tylenol as a blanket statement for all asprins/ibuprofens for years. Good to know.
    Ah yes, they are very different chemicals, and while they have the same end result they work in different ways. Aspirin - acetylsalicylic acid. Ibuprofen - isobutylphenylpropionic acid (biggest name brand is Advil). Tylenol - acetominophen (paracetamol to folks on the other side of the pond). Acetominophen is far too easy to overdose on, and it causes acute liver failure if you do. Supposedly the threshold to avoid liver damage is 4g/day but a lot of doctors are starting to recommend keeping it to less than half of that to be safe (keep in mind a "dose" is generally 500mg-1g). The problem with it is the effective dose and the amount needed to overdose are not very far apart.

Ibuprofen works much better for muscle aches and things like tension headaches. While aspirin/acetominophen (I take generic excedrin for sinus headaches due to my allergies - it's 50% aspirin, 50% acetominophen, with some caffeine) works better for things that aren't muscular. I usually only take half a dose too, which is 250mg aspirin, 250mg acetominophen. And it's not an every day thing, so even on days when I do take it I'm at 250mg where the "max" dose is 16x that. I also don't drink alcohol though.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-12-31 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Ah yes, they are very different chemicals, and while they have the same end result they work in different ways. Aspirin - acetylsalicylic acid. Ibuprofen - isobutylphenylpropionic acid (biggest name brand is Advil). Tylenol - acetominophen (paracetamol to folks on the other side of the pond). Acetominophen is far too easy to overdose on, and it causes acute liver failure if you do. Supposedly the threshold to avoid liver damage is 4g/day but a lot of doctors are starting to recommend keeping it to less than half of that to be safe (keep in mind a "dose" is generally 500mg-1g). The problem with it is the effective dose and the amount needed to overdose are not very far apart.

Ibuprofen works much better for muscle aches and things like tension headaches. While aspirin/acetominophen (I take generic excedrin for sinus headaches due to my allergies - it's 50% aspirin, 50% acetominophen, with some caffeine) works better for things that aren't muscular. I usually only take half a dose too, which is 250mg aspirin, 250mg acetominophen. And it's not an every day thing, so even on days when I do take it I'm at 250mg where the "max" dose is 16x that. I also don't drink alcohol though.
    That sounds a lot like common sense. Mixing over the counter meds/pain killers is always a no. It doesn't take a doctor or someone in med school to tell people that.

So, slightly off topic, if you're not drinking, you can take both acetaminophen and ibuprofen at their maximum dosages if neither soothe your pain for the entire interval between dosages, taking one 1/2 way through the interval of the other (consult your doctor if you're taking any other medications, including cough syrup, midol, or anything else). They belong to different classes of drugs, don't work the same way, and so combining them has no significant detrimental health effects.

On topic: every couple drinks, drink water. Drink a sports drink before you go to bed and another when you wake up. If you can, eat a small, balanced meal before you go to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of what you feel is due to dehydration. Drink some water/gatorade (though water would be the best because you're not looking to consume anymore sugar). Pop an asprin, I like BC powder. Pop a multivitamin. Avoid drinks with a bunch of added sugar or limit your consumption of them.

If your stomach is killing you, throw up or eat. I don't know your body or how much your drank. Alcohol slows your metabolism and your body might refuse to digest more alcohol than it feels it can tolerate (or you in fact reached near a lethal limit). Alcohol sitting in your stomach fucks it up in all kind of ways and vomiting can alleviate half of them.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-12-31 at 07:11 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    That sounds a lot like common sense. Mixing over the counter meds/pain killers is always a no. It doesn't take a doctor or someone in med school to tell people that.
    How about you read the study I posted (or look up other similar ones) from people who went to med school before making statements like this.

10+ Year Old Account

Boris has what you need!

10+ Year Old Account
    Drink a sip of water with each sip of alcohol and drink a fuck ton of water before you sleep. Also pot helps a lot a lot a lot with a hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezar View Post
    Dont drink. Works every time.

But if you cant live without booze drink plenty of water while soaking that liver. Alcohol dries you up and dehydration is what gives you that throbbing headache in the morning.
    Dehydration is part of the problem (alcohol being a diuretic). You also lose a lot of electrolytes (the diuretic effect also leeches those out as a secondary effect).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    How about you read the study I posted (or look up other similar ones) from people who went to med school before making statements like this.
    How about you stop acting so pretentious? Mixing pain killers and alcohol is always a no. How many celebrity overdoses does it take for one to get the point?

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    How about you stop acting so pretentious? Mixing pain killers and alcohol is always a no. How many celebrity overdoses does it take for one to get the point?
    So you're not going to pay attention to what medical professionals are saying. Grats on the intentional ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    So you're not going to pay attention to what medical professionals are saying. Grats on the intentional ignorance.
    Ironic.

/10char