Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ive only ever hesrd legos saying pick up ur lego just sounds weird

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasaru View Post
    The real question is why can't americans just use Celsius and the metric system like the rest of the fucking world?
    As an American, the reason is ex-President Jimmy Carter.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Legos is losing business.

I guess to video games like everything else.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

never really noticed anyone saying legos, always lego blocks
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This.

Hey England:

THERE'S ONLY ONE MATH.

There's MATH

And then all the little subsets of math like calculus, trigonometry, geometry, all under the umbrella of MATH, of which there is one thing. One. Not more than one. One. There is math. It is all math. Math is a container that contains all the mathematical topics.

And also, stop putting u's in words they don't belong. Color. Honor. There's no reason for there to be a u on these words.

See, we Americans took the English language and fixed all the dumb things the English did to it.
    "Math" and "maths" aren't words. They're slang contractions of "mathematics" and therefore don't obey any rules of grammar whatsoever. "My gobbledegook is better than yours!" is essentially the argument here.

P.S. Why did you leave the "u" on "contour" and "detour"? In any case, if you wanted to be phonetic about it, the "ou" or "o" in colour/color etc are unstressed vowels, so you could literally write them with any vowel there. Colar. Coler. Colir. Color. Colur. All pronounced the same. The truth is, English spelling is largely arbitrary. Those words had "ou" because they had French roots. Webster changed some and not others when he invented US spelling, resulting in a highly specious tweak on English. He also recommended some spellings like "wimmen" and "thru" that didn't catch on so well...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    Ive only ever hesrd legos saying pick up ur lego just sounds weird
    It definitely sounds weird to me, you should say "pick up your Lego blocks" or "Lego bricks" or "Lego collection" or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

snip
    then whats with your aloominum?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Depends. Do you actually enunciate the 'h' at the beginning? If you do 'a' is correct. If you don't than "an" is correct.
    yes, the H is not silent. some county accents pronounce it silently but in that case it's "an 'erb" as I said

Deleted
    This.

Hey England:

THERE'S ONLY ONE MATH.

There's MATH

And then all the little subsets of math like calculus, trigonometry, geometry, all under the umbrella of MATH, of which there is one thing. One. Not more than one. One. There is math. It is all math. Math is a container that contains all the mathematical topics.

And also, stop putting u's in words they don't belong. Color. Honor. There's no reason for there to be a u on these words.

See, we Americans took the English language and fixed all the dumb things the English did to it.
    I'll admit you dumbed it down. What's this pavement shit? Well it's on the side and we walk on it. Sidewalk

A Lego box.
    A box of Legos.
    A Lego set.
    Some Legos on the floor.
    I stepped on some Legos.
    I stepped on a Lego.
    The Lego company.
    I went to Legoland.
    I really like that Lego set.

You see, when people say Legos, they are talking about multiple Lego bricks and pieces and have pluralized it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Germany, Belgium, Scotland, Japan, Australia, England and France.
    No idea about Scotland, Japan, Australia or England, but I'm damn sure that France, Belguim and Germany, don't use the plural.

"Je joue au lego". is said, not " Je joue aux legos". France and Belgium both speak french, so one applies to the other. (But in all honesty, the pronunciation is identical)

In german it's "Ich spiele mit Lego" and not Legos.

Source: I live between those three counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Lived in Australia for 30 years, no one says legos.

What happens if I have a box full of equipment. I don't have equipments do I? What about feedback, feedbacks isn't a word. What about the luggage I took on my last holiday, I didn't take my luggages did I?
    All ive heard in is Aus is Legos

The answer is right in front of you people.
    American English...
    The same reason a spanner is a wrench.
    A bonnet is a hood.
    A wind is a fender.
    A quid is a buck.
    American English vernacular is simply different.

Just like American Spanish is different than Castilian.
    Coche as to carro.
    Vosotros as to ustedes
    Baligrapho as to lapiz

Cheers

Its like asking why brits say H wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Its like asking why brits say H wrong
    to be fair its our language

northerners who cant say HERB and say URB. People who say AXE instead of ask. Twot instead of twat, and one i heard an American say the other day was Adidas as adeeddas, behave.

Pretty sure even the LEGO company does this. Watch any of the number of LEGO documentaries/brickumentaries. They say legos when referring to the toy.

Unless, of course, the company doesn't know how to refer to its own product.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potpourri87 View Post
    No idea about Scotland, Japan, Australia or England, but I'm damn sure that France, Belguim and Germany, don't use the plural.

"Je joue au lego". is said, not " Je joue aux legos". France and Belgium both speak french, so one applies to the other. (But in all honesty, the pronunciation is identical)

In german it's "Ich spiele mit Lego" and not Legos.

Source: I live between those three counties.
    I live in Germany and I'm pretty sure I said "Legos" back then, even my friends said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    I'm from the UK and now that you mentioned it. I think everyone does that here too.
    Never heard anyone say legos instead of lego here in the UK myself (West Midlands). Perhaps it's a regional thing in the UK?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    The answer is right in front of you people.
    American English...
    The same reason a spanner is a wrench.
    A bonnet is a hood.
    A wind is a fender.
    A quid is a buck.
    American English vernacular is simply different.

Just like American Spanish is different than Castilian.
    Coche as to carro.
    Vosotros as to ustedes
    Baligrapho as to lapiz

Cheers
    Some American English is fine. I can understand how the car boot is more like a trunk and the pavement is the bit at the side you walk on. A few u's missing from words, fine. The only thing that American's say that I hate - genuinely can't stand is "could care less". That makes me grit my teeth. I'd like to say I couldn't care less about it but I could, I could care less about it because in fact, I care a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Ok Nazi man.
    Owned. You make a thread complaining about why people call something by its plural form, but get called out on your own mistake. Hilarious.

Growing up in England I was real big on Lego. Was always playing with it. My family never called it "Legos". To my ear that sounds faintly ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like Pokemon. Uneducated people call the plural form Pokemons.