Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well unless they plan to make autonomous motorcycles, what are they gonna do to us riders? Just ban us too? **** that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    and at busy hours youd find yoruself having to wait for an availible car 30 min, unless ofc there are enough cars to handle busy hours, but then there will be tons of cars unused during the other hours of the day.
    Wich do you prefer? transportation always availible or transportation efficiently used? It really is impossible to have both.
    Not really, considering that even at rush hour a huge number of cars are still sitting around doing nothing.

Eh, if they ban driving and automate it all than I wouldn't mind. I don't drive for pleasure. If a company or government can get me from point A to point B with less hassle than the current model than I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Well unless they plan to make autonomous motorcycles, what are they gonna do to us riders? Just ban us too? **** that.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, considering that even at rush hour a huge number of cars are still sitting around doing nothing.
    Of course not. The original article was just the ramblings of an unwell man.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    if my car could drive me by itself i would be 100% on board with that, fuck driving into work ill take a nap, fuck driving 17 hours to visit family ill take a nap. If every person in the world who is pissed off about not being able to drive has to die for this to happen for me im still for it, fuck it ill take a nap

10+ Year Old Account
    People are going to demand the freedom that is driving a vehicle themselves. You think these wealthy car collectors are just going to give up the right to drive their cars? It's not going to happen.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty okay with banning run-of-the-mill drivers. Get the self-driving cars up to snuff (re: better than humans [not a high bar to jump over, frankly]), and make anyone who wants to keep an old school vehicle go through a more rigorous evaluation and more expensive registration. Possible exceptions or altered requirements for motorcycles, since they're generally not the same degree of dangerous as even a small car in the event of an emergency. And, speaking from experience, a huge chunk of the danger in riding a motorcycle comes from other drivers not paying attention.

Or we could get self driving bikes. A little harder than cars, but not impossible. Takes all the fun out, though. :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

As someone who drives a lot, I'm 100% okay with this. Turn driving into a hobby or past time you can do at a track or some shit. I'd rather hop in the car and pass out or not pay attention to the road and arrive somewhere. Get some work done, read, whatever, better than driving.

I love to drive, but I'd trade that for having a car that drove me and a place I could go to sport drive (again, track or something like that).

I'm not a big fan of all the spying that'd be possible but our phones are going that way anyways.

I wouldn't mind, but if it never happened I wouldn't bat an eye either.

Driving yourself will become illegal because you won't be able to drive properly next to an automatic vehicle. The automatic vehicle's maneuvers can only be understood by another automatic vehicle, especially if both are going 200 mph.

That being said, the higher class vehicles will be allowed to override the controls of lower class vehicles to kill those lower class vehicles to save the higher class vehicles, usually listed as buses killing single occupant cars, but clandestinely listing any social rich good-fellow's single occupant vehicle able to kill an entire bus of people to preserve itself. And there will be nothing you can do about this, and you'll accept this, and we finally destroyed net neutrality, and everyone can suck it haha we win, we will always win!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an argument to be made that letting a human drive is immoral the second automated systems are widely available and less error-prone than people.

Personally, I don't really care either way, but as I hate driving I'll be happy to let the computer take the wheel.

That is quite literally the dumbest fucking thing I have read in the last month or more.

- No, we will never ban "driving", because there will ALWAYS be places where the need for an actual operator behind the wheel are required.
    - No, there will be no catastrophic loss of privacy. The government will not be using your automated car to spy on you. Take off the Tinfoil Hat, it is clamped on way too tight.
    - There will be no "glitch" that leaves you at the mercy of your automated car, helpless victim trapped on a rudderless ship. Don't be fucking stupid. Nobody is ever going to build a self driving car that does not have a manual mode, because manual mode will ALWAYS be a required backup system.

The author of that article is a fucking nutjob, and really, REALLY needs to lay off the paranoid delusions.

I'd like to see a fully functional freeway system, much like how Jermey Clarkson envisioned a light rail type system built on the principle of how bumper cars work, getting the electricity they need from a pole/ pantograph system that can also recharge the batteries so you have a full charge when you get off the main roads (where it makes sense to start this kind of massive overhaul of transportation systems) and you just continue to use the on board batteries for when you're off "the grid" and just slowly expand the network from there, exactly how broadband was expanded, start at hubs and work outward... Would actually require public/government investment so it's just another thing we can't "afford" to do while we're too busy giving money in the form of tax cuts to corporations and expecting them to care enough of their individual distribution networks to "Libertarian wet dream" and build their own roads (that of course they'd let the public use... because that's how "private" property works. /s) but of course that's only right up until they have their delivery drone network set up.... or rocket-packs

... I think I've gotten off on a tangent.
    Last edited by Glnger; 2017-12-31 at 10:29 AM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    You Americans sure are fond of declaring war on things.

Reminds me of George Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4xHO8eN6E

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Ofc in either scenario there will be less cars than today.... that isnt even relevant to what im talking about... Nice dodge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh.

I'm over it.

Driving is something I'm willing to give up.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if we'll see a Ex-Driver esque future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89X-Driver

Governments want people to have less freedom of movement within their own country. It's one of the best ways for them to control people.

The goal is to ban cars or make private transportation prohibitively expensive for the common man through large registration fees/toll lanes/per mile tax, ban single family homes or make them prohibitively expensive for the common man via climate change-inspired building/efficiency codes/regs, and get people into stack-and-pack housing.

It's all about control.

10+ Year Old Account
    The war on driving, the title alone invalidates the subject due to it being way too dramatic and lacks moderation and basically a grasp on reality.

Especially if we are speaking of the states, where there already is an unhealthy and fetish relationship with the word "freedom"

Thing is, if driverless cars become a success, will it matter? If we could all own an automated car, program in where we want to go and off it goes, does it matter whether we are driving or not? Sure the physical act of driving can be quite enjoyable or extremely tedious depending on circumstance but if I can still get from A to B on my own schedule in my own vehicle whenever I want, I wouldn't mind too much. The biggest issue I see is trying to get rid of non automatic cars, that's going to take time and effort swapping everything over and would be extremely expensive unless you put the cost onto consumers which would quickly kill the idea.

The only reason I don't like self-driving cars is the same reason I'm afraid of heights. It's putting my life out of my hands more than it already was. Lake effect snow winter driving is going to be exceptionally difficult for a machine. I've had instances going down a semi-steep hill at 3MPH and halfway down sliding the rest of the way with my foot on the breaks. Will a machine be able to tell which road is the safest/most plowed? You also have to worry about people figuring out ways to hack it and drive you off a bridge.

In any event, I think I'd be more comfortable with them living in an area with no snow. Far less variables. New York snow is awful.

Deleted
    probably wont get a government level ban, but i can definitely see individual cities banning human drivers from high traffic and pedestrian areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    The only reason I don't like self-driving cars is the same reason I'm afraid of heights. It's putting my life out of my hands more than it already was. Lake effect snow winter driving is going to be exceptionally difficult for a machine. I've had instances going down a semi-steep hill at 3MPH and halfway down sliding the rest of the way with my foot on the breaks. Will a machine be able to tell which road is the safest/most plowed? You also have to worry about people figuring out ways to hack it and drive you off a bridge.

In any event, I think I'd be more comfortable with them living in an area with no snow. Far less variables. New York snow is awful.
    yes, machines are amazing at that stuff. mostly because they can simply detect and react to changing circumstances a lot faster. now i will admit that machine driving for offroad or heavy snowfall situations etc probably won't happen for a while, but that's more because it's not very high priority to spend time on for the people training cars compared to more common city stuff, not because it's harder for the cars computers.

as for the hacking, already possible today with most cars. it'll be to complicated/expensive for most people, and for the ones that do have the means there are easier/safer ways to hurt you. like honestly when was the last time you saw someone get murdered because they cut their break lines in their car or some shit.