Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What stopped the Legion from overwhelming azeroth after the Broken Shore?

Like the title says, have been thinking about this for a while.
    Why are we able to take our time and move around on the broken isles in search for the pillars while the Legion has secured the Broken Shore and thus a foothold on Azeroth?
    Have I missed something obvious or was this never properly adressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Status Quo Patrol cockblocked their portals.

Quote Originally Posted by velghus View Post
    Why are we able to take our time and move around on the broken isles in search for the pillars while the Legion has secured the Broken Shore and thus a foothold on Azeroth?
    because the planet is enough big to no been instant covered by the legion. some region were occupied and anyway they had to corrupt and collect energy to do their things like use illidan's body

Wouldn't make a very good expansion if the Legion rolled everyone in 5 minutes. It's the same reason they had to come up with that bullshit about a "part of Arthas still inside the Lich King holding the scourge back" because people were like "Why are all these undead just afk in icecrown and not invading us anymore?"

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what the pre-expansion invasion event and the Order Hall quest lines taking you all around the world were meant to portray. The Legion tried but the defenders of Azeroth just barely managed to hold them off long enough for the Kirin Tor to come up with a game plan.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Yeah, you have. It's done for gameplay reasons because we, as players, need to win, so the lore is written to accommodate this need.

That's basically the standard for any book, game or whatever where villain is destined to lose, and even if villains are winning in the end, fast wins aren't interesting to read/watch about.

Realistically we'd all die in Cata (or even earlier), the only reason why we didn't was because Deathwing decided not to kill us, he could easily do so, he even partially destroyed SW w/o any issues, but instead he just flew away and then waited for us to kill him.

It'd be so much fun to buy Cata, launch the game, log in and then permanently die in DW's fire breath. Yeah, no... Same story w/ Legion.

It also can be seen in boss fights, instead of being serious about killing us from the get-go, bosses do something like this:
    - Come, mortals, amuse me! Let's play!
    - Pathetic!
    - I grow tired of this! I'm getting serious now!
    - Impossible!
    - RIP.

But here's the worst part, given that all these things are needed and inevitable, our struggle to win often is quite poorly shown.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-12-31 at 02:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    That's what the pre-expansion invasion event and the Order Hall quest lines taking you all around the world were meant to portray. The Legion tried but the defenders of Azeroth just barely managed to hold them off long enough for the Kirin Tor to come up with a game plan.
    I failed to see the "just barely" part anywhere.

Wait, there is more to Azeroth than the Broken Isles? Could've fooled me.

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    because the planet is enough big to no been instant covered by the legion. some region were occupied and anyway they had to corrupt and collect energy to do their things like use illidan's body
    I understand using Illidans body was a big goal due to its presence in the gul'dan fight. But what stopped the rest of this "endless" legion from swarming us, like in the War of the Ancients?

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Wouldn't make a very good expansion if the Legion rolled everyone in 5 minutes. It's the same reason they had to come up with that bullshit about a "part of Arthas still inside the Lich King holding the scourge back" because people were like "Why are all these undead just afk in icecrown and not invading us anymore?"
    Gameplay reasons I can understand. But the thing is, they at least gave an excuse with Arthas, they did not really in this case. That I know of..

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Yeah, you have. It's done for gameplay reasons because we, as players, need to win, so the lore is written to accommodate this need.

That's basically the standard for any book, game or whatever where villain is destined to lose, and even if villains are winning in the end, fast wins aren't interesting to read/watch about.

Realistically we'd all die in Cata (or even earlier), the only reason why we didn't was because Deathwing decided not to kill us, he could easily do so, he even partially destroyed SW w/o any issues, but instead he just flew away and then waited for us to kill him.

It'd be so much fun to buy Cata, launch the game, log in and then permanently die in DW's fire breath. Yeah, no... Same story w/ Legion.

It also can be seen in boss fights, instead of being serious about killing us from the get-go, bosses do something like this:
    - Come, mortals, amuse me! Let's play!
    - Pathetic!
    - I grow tired of this! I'm getting serious now!
    - Impossible!
    - RIP.

But here's the worst part, given that all these things are needed and inevitable, our struggle to win often is quite poorly shown.
    I know that for gameplay reasons, at the core of the story the Legion would never decisively defeat us. Deathwing is actually a fair comparison with him doing nothing after severly damaging the world with the Shattering. But he was maddened by the whispers of the old gods (This is at least somewhat of an excuse). For instance, what happened to all the demons present on the battle of the Broken Shore? They all went home to rewatch Friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I failed to see the "just barely" part anywhere.
    This as welll. I've unlocked an artifact on at least every class so I've seen the start of most of the order halls. The only ones I truly recall the Legion being a threat is the Monk home being attacked as well as the Maelstrom where the shamans are.

I just want to know if there was any real LORE reason why the Legion didn't continue their onslaught after the Broken Shore.

Plot happened. Though the horde and alliance lorewise were busy defending the world while the class orderhalls focused on the broken shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Plot happened. Though the horde and alliance lorewise were busy defending the world while the class orderhalls focused on the broken shore.
    Do you have a source for this?

It happened mostly in the background. We hear tales of the Taurens and Wildhammer being hit hard by the Legion, we see them trying to invade major locations during the playable invasions, they attack the Broken Isles and we fight them in various places during the order hall campaigns such as Pandaria and Ulduar. The effects aren't permanent nor omnipresent because nobody actually wants a Cata revamp 2.0, now with 100% more demons and fel sludge everywhere.

Hell, one could argue the Legion overextended itself and that is why we beat them. Had they just took the time to reinforce their position on the Broken Isles and some key locations, they could just have beaten us by attrition instead of letting us run around gathering allies and artifacts. Lorewise I'm pretty sure that Alliance and Horde forces were busy holding the fort while the players and Class Orders were bringing the fight to important targets. It's the same reason we never actually see that big tide of undead that is supposed to be Arthas's biggest strength, for example.

Let's just face it: The Legion gave no shit whatsoever for the Pillars of Creation.

Tidestone of Golganneth => Taken by the Naga, allegiance to the Legion questionable
    Tear of Elune => Taken by Xavius, allegiance to the Legion merely faked
    Hammer of Khaz'goroth => Taken by Dargrul, Legion aligned forced didn't even get near the Hammer
    Aegis of Aggramar => Involves Odyn, thereby makes no sense anyway
    Eye of Aman'thul => The only one actually controlled and used by the Legion

The biggest plothole of Legion is why the fuck KJ himself never showed up on Azeroth and finished the Ritual to fuse Sargeras' spirit into Illidans body himself.

Hell, in BC we had an entire patch centered around preventing KJ entering Azeroth, now we just find him doing some shady stuff in the Tombs Basement.

Because Archimonde was dead and the Legion lacked any kind of Strategical inteligence to actually plan the invasion.

So we have the Legion everywhere doing shit.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

lore wise the took over twilight highlands and Thunder bluff had an infernal probablem
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdrop View Post
    Do you have a source for this?
    Mostly just Class order hall stories and pre event to 7.0.
    Last edited by Felrane; 2017-12-31 at 03:46 AM.

I understand using Illidans body was a big goal due to its presence in the gul'dan fight. But what stopped the rest of this "endless" legion from swarming us, like in the War of the Ancients?
    endless isnt the same of instant transmission, they still had to move from the tomb to the other parts of the planet and for me invading pandaria and conquering twilight highlands is good, in wota they sticked only on night elf territory
    Last edited by omeomorfismo; 2017-12-31 at 05:27 PM.

Deleted
    Let's not forget that Legion suffered great loss in spread invasion, during Assault events all around Azeroth. So they just focused on a big attack at Broken Shore and try to set up a more stable base/centre of power.

partially b.c. their focus was on ToS rather than all of azeroth, lore wise i suspect they were cocky enough to see no threat from the rest of azeroth so focused on ToS, and getting ole sarg. here. remember the goal has been to corrupt Azeroth's world soul vs destroying the planet so that makes a difference as well.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Let's just face it: The Legion gave no shit whatsoever for the Pillars of Creation.

Tidestone of Golganneth => Taken by the Naga, allegiance to the Legion questionable
    Tear of Elune => Taken by Xavius, allegiance to the Legion merely faked
    Hammer of Khaz'goroth => Taken by Dargrul, Legion aligned forced didn't even get near the Hammer
    Aegis of Aggramar => Involves Odyn, thereby makes no sense anyway
    Eye of Aman'thul => The only one actually controlled and used by the Legion

The biggest plothole of Legion is why the fuck KJ himself never showed up on Azeroth and finished the Ritual to fuse Sargeras' spirit into Illidans body himself.

Hell, in BC we had an entire patch centered around preventing KJ entering Azeroth, now we just find him doing some shady stuff in the Tombs Basement.
    He was busy with plan B, reanimating the Avatar. He was also not present on Azeroth until after we kill Gul'dan, as seen in the cinematic; at that point the Legion is eing pushed back. Given that we know summoning a Demon Lord of his power would take a lot of time, it kind of makes sense that he couldn't immediately cross the Breach and had to rely on patsies until then.