Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why didn't Varian go to the Halls of valor when he died?

Seems like an obvious choice for Odyn

10+ Year Old Account
    bad writing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Odyn saw his anime hair and deemed him unworthy.

Mostly due to Chris Metzen leaving. He only has an interest I believe in continuing to voice Thrall only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Odyn saw his anime hair and deemed him unworthy.
    I don't think the guy with the uber-cheesy lava beard/hair has any right to judge on that front.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I don't think the guy with the uber-cheesy lava beard/hair has any right to judge on that front.
    Lava beard is nothing compared to spiky ponytail. Also, varian was beardless. Which pretty much makes him a woman.

Deleted
    Wasn't halls of valor only for Vrykul?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfy View Post
    Wasn't halls of valor only for Vrykul?
    If it were the Player Character Warrior would be dead on a beach somwhere.

Exceptions are made for great Warriors of other races, and Varian was most definitely a greater Warrior than the Player Character... Bad writing is the only reason he isn't there.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-01-02 at 07:27 PM.

I always wondered this and the best thing I could think of was when he blew up, nothing was left at all. Would have been cool though if he got to live on there since Voljin gets more story in BFA

Maybe Gul'dan got his soul and possibly used it as fuel

Odyn tried to take him, but Varian ended up on a rock in Azsuna instead.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Seems like an obvious choice for Odyn
    Bad script writing from Blizzard, really.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Gul'dan probably disintegrated his soul too, so there was nothing left to enter HoV.
    Either that or the little that remained of his soul was tied to the sword, which is why Anduin had the vision.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

He was pulled into the Nexus by mysterious powers outside our understanding.

Because he went to the Nexus, of course.

There was literally only dead vrykul and live players up there. Saurfang got invited to have his axe inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    If it were the Player Character Warrior would be dead on a beach somwhere.

Exceptions are made for great Warriors of other races, and Varian was most definitely a greater Warrior than the Player Character... Bad writing is the only reason he isn't there.
    A Val'kyr came down and grabbed the player specifically. The player didn't actually die at that point.

"A valorous sacrifice! But it is not yet your time..."

I imagine it was similar to how we are revived while fighting Argus, the PC still had a "spark of life".

Meanwhile. Varian's only spark was the kindling of his ashes.

It should be noted that Odyn also sends you to Thoradin to get his weapon, commending his sacrifice and valorous behavior. Yet, Thoradin's spirit isn't in the Halls of Valor in the end anyway. I felt Thoradin, Varian, Brox, and Ravencrest would have been the perfect warrior followers.

But, few people other than Vrykul/Val'kyr (and player characters) even show up canonically in the Halls of Valor anyway. Aside from a few Vrykul, we get an Iron Dwarf, Thorim, Hodir, and Darius Crowley/Eitrigg. There's also one Hozen in the Order Hall, but that's a reference to a Warcraft video about using and purchasing character boosts.

In early development, there were tons of people that were supposed to show up in Skyhold. Varian was included in that.
    Among the NPCs are a non-diamond version of Magni Bronzebeard, Thura, Darius Crowley, Grommash Hellscream, Nazgrel, Jarod Shadowsong, Kur'talos Ravencrest, Cairne Bloodhoof, Urukal, Broxigar, a non-death knight version of Nazgrim, Orgrim Doomhammer, Anduin Lothar, Daelin Proudmoore, Llane Wrynn I, a non-death knight version of Thoras Trollbane, Varian Wrynn, Jubei'Thos, Marcus Jonathan, Krol the Blade, Ignaeus Trollbane, Korda Torros, Thargas Anvilmar, Joanna Blueheart, Modimus Anvilmar, Mankrik, High Warlord Cromush, John J. Keeshan, Gamon, Kash'drakor, Gorgonna, and Bragor Bloodfist.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Skyhold#Trivia
    That was all removed in favor of the Vrykul aesthetic and Norse mythology. Some of those character did show up in the end anyway, while others (like Magni and Thoras) had different roles.

In the end, I'm sure many characters could have shown up there, and Varian should have shown up there. Odyn and the Halls of Valor were written badly all around (like Thorim calling Odyn "father" when canonically they were made by the Titans, Odyn's trials for warriors that didn't count in the Stormheim quests, and even forcibly making Ymiron work for Odyn). So, I can see why Varian's sacrifice was unseen.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2018-01-02 at 08:18 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured his soul was destroyed by the fel. That's a thing that can happen.

That or the Nexus thing.

Kind of makes you think of just how many times the player character has canonically been rezzed, LK, Warrior quest, Argus. In positive there are others