Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Item worth $1000 on amazon for $490

I bought an item on amazon marketplace for $490 everywhere else sells it for $1000
    This is a message I got from the seller "Please withdraw your order as this is not a product of ours. The product was hired by a hacker or by a third party access to our account. We have nothing to do with this product"

Of course I want the item, I have contacted amazon and they said all they can do for me is issue a refund, the seller is not responding to my messages, shouldn't amazon be obligated to ship me the item (they also sell it) for that price since it's listed through their website and they're allowing possibly compromised sellers to sell with them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I understand what happened?

Depends on which country you live in and the relevant laws to that state or country

They are not obligated to sell it to you for that price.

If I put a 5 dollar sticker on a brand new TV at best buy with my sticker maker, are they obligated to sell it to someone who sees it listed for 5 dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post

If I put a 5 dollar sticker on a brand new TV at best buy with my sticker maker, are they obligated to sell it to someone who sees it listed for 5 dollars?
    Unfortunately for you OP, pretty much this. On a similar note, when I worked at Target, you have *no* idea how many people legitimately thought this way.

Deleted

Yes, and this has happened where I used to work, pricing error had a multi room speaker worth $250 at $10 and we had to sell it for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPG-1 View Post
    I bought an item on amazon marketplace for $490 everywhere else sells it for $1000
    This is a message I got from the seller "Please withdraw your order as this is not a product of ours. The product was hired by a hacker or by a third party access to our account. We have nothing to do with this product"

Of course I want the item, I have contacted amazon and they said all they can do for me is issue a refund, the seller is not responding to my messages, shouldn't amazon be obligated to ship me the item (they also sell it) for that price since it's listed through their website and they're allowing possibly compromised sellers to sell with them?
    If its through Amazon Marketplace...Amazon's involvement is just as an intermediary.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

In many states, there are marketing laws where if you advertise a price for a product, you must sell it for that price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Depends on which country you live in and the relevant laws to that state or country
    This is the answer.

They dont even sell the item though....

Someone hacked my e-bay account once and was selling $1,000 dollar rolex watches for $249..... doesn't mean i got 3 rolex watches sitting here to send out once ebay removed the listing and refunded the buyers..

Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    Unfortunately for you OP, pretty much this. On a similar note, when I worked at Target, you have *no* idea how many people legitimately thought this way.
    Here in Portugal at least yes. A few years ago I bought a Wii 80 some euros cheaper then market value ( including discounted units) because of a labeling error.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    They dont even sell the item though....

Someone hacked my e-bay account once and was selling $1,000 dollar rolex watches for $249..... doesn't mean i got 3 rolex watches sitting here to send out once ebay removed the listing and refunded the buyers..
    ebay is different, ebay doesn't actually sell their own items

One time I got like 9 120gb Intel SSDS for like 5 dollars each
    Mistweaver Monk |
    "Those who lead through fear only stay in power while those they govern lack courage." ~ Lorewalker Cho

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like the guy doesnt even have the items, and the item was put up by a hacker. In which case, you're out of luck because it isnt reasonable to hold people responsible for shit that they dont actually have and was a result of a compromised account.

Otherwise whenever our CC details are stolen, we should be responsible for the charges. Better pony up that 3k on art supplies that you never actually purchased yourself.

Deleted
    in an ideal world a deal is a deal and they should deliver, and then in an ideal world their insurance would cover their losses because they were the victims of a crime.

doubts the world is that ideal though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and this has happened where I used to work, pricing error had a multi room speaker worth $250 at $10 and we had to sell it for that price.
    Yes but pricing error is not the same thing. That is the stores mistake and they gotta pay for that mistake.
    What he talks about is, what if I go into a shop and put a 5 dollar sticker on an LG OLED TV, take it to the cashier and pay 5 dollars for it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

No, they aren't not responsible for hacking ads or hacked seller sites. They give you the refund, you're made whole. There is no right to the items that was falsely advertised.

And neither does amazon.

Amazon is a MARKETPLACE.....

Thats why when you look at the side it will show the OFFICIAL amazon seller price and it will show the price of the individual marketplace sellers.

Depends on the laws of the area you live in, and also those laws as they pertain to online sales like this. To be honest it would likely cost you more in lawyers bills than just taking the refund.

Check to see whether the seller using the amazon marketplace lives in your area first to see if your local laws apply to them and then contact the local authority that handles that. For me in Australia I assume I would call consumer affairs if the actual seller resided here as well, but given the circumstances, and without further research I don't think there is much they could do. If they were local and the price was a misprint in local advertisements you might have a better leg to stand on, but all things considered its probably not worth pursuing.

shouldn't amazon be obligated to ship me the item (they also sell it) for that price since it's listed through their website and they're allowing possibly compromised sellers to sell with them?
    No. It is unrealistic to expect Amazon to "price match" what hacked third party sellers using Amazon's marketplace put items up for.

If they did, then what stops people from putting up whatever item they wanted (that they clearly don't have) for a cheaper price, ordering it from another account, then complaining to Amazon that they want that item at that price? Use your head. You are not entitled to the item for that price.

I'm also sure Amazon has it written somewhere that protects them in this case.

Amazon Marketplace is basically the same thing. You aren't purchasing the item through Amazon directly. Amazon is just facilitating the sale,.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.