Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Odyn tried to take him, but Varian ended up on a rock in Azsuna instead.
    I laughed way to hard at this.

10+ Year Old Account
    now i am not a lore pro (?) but isn't he a gladiator ?

his name must be something like lo'gosh if i am not mistaken, as it is written in the novel ''wolfheart''
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

They actually talked about this way back in either the beginning of Legion or during the beta, I can't quite remember when. The big reason why Varian and other notable Warriors who were part of a faction weren't there was because it felt like it was too polarizing of the class hall. They wanted the class hall to feel like a place where Warriors gathered and not a stronghold for either faction.

Only Vry'kul go to the halls of Valor. The player is brought there because you are a very powerful warrior, who is still alive. Letting Odyn act through you to defend Azeroth. 2 seconds of walking around shows only Vry'kul warriors, there are no other warriors from other races except the player character.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Iirc Blizzard wanted during Beta to put in Halls other famous dead warriors (Brox was one of them I think) but then they decided it will be Vry'kul only. Also, it cheapens characters when they come back as ghosts.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2018-01-02 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Odyn tried to take him, but Varian ended up on a rock in Azsuna instead.
    Giggles were had

OT: The Halls of Valor confuse me in general. It's supposed to be a place where valiant and honorable warriors go after death. Yet it seems like warriors inhabiting it can come and go as they please. It seemed like the alternative was Helheim, where Helya didn't let anyone leave, but now that Helya is gone does Odyn just have an infinite army of angel vikings?
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    bad writing.
    This.

To the argument "He was destroyed by fel flame, so Odyn could not take him!" - that's not how it works. The very first quest to unlock the Warrior Orderhall goes like this:
    1) You fight the Legion
    2) You face certain death
    3) You STILL fight on
    4) Odyn sees this and sends a Valkyr to take you right BEFORE you die

When i did this quest and Odyn then told me he never saw such resolve and bravery in a mortal before.....i just....well....i had watched the Varian death cinematic like 10 minutes before....it was dishearteningly bad writing. The entire Warrior orderhall is a clusterfuck of bad writing.

Deleted
    Odyn only allowed dead honourable Vrykul to become Valarjar. (The entire reason he's up there is because he wanted the Vrykul to be the defenders of Azeroth, not the aspects).

He allowed us in (we weren't dead) because of the Legion invasion and him being stuck up there forced his hand to appoint the best LIVING warrior to lead the Valarjar in the living plane.

The Halls of Valor were originally supposed to have some of the most iconic Warcraft characters present, including mostly humans and orcs. It was changed when Legion got into beta I believe.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Seems like an obvious choice for Odyn
    Same goes to Grom Hellscream, Garrosh Hellscream, and Admiral Tyler when they died.

Deleted
    If it were the Player Character Warrior would be dead on a beach somwhere.

Exceptions are made for great Warriors of other races, and Varian was most definitely a greater Warrior than the Player Character... Bad writing is the only reason he isn't there.
    I'm almost certain they did leave him out intentionally because they didn't want heroes of the horde and Ally be in the same place.

While it is a cool idea that other greatest warriors to go to the Halls of Valor.

It would be really bad to have Varian, after all he did, walk around the Broken Shore as a champion like nothing ever happened.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

10+ Year Old Account
    gul'dan made a healthstone out of his soul
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

He didnt accept Jesus Christ as his savoiour so now he is in hell along with all the other chandelier worshipping heretics!!!

But in all seriousness he prolly just went to human heaven or that ghostly place we go to when we wipe on another boss!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    This.

To the argument "He was destroyed by fel flame, so Odyn could not take him!" - that's not how it works. The very first quest to unlock the Warrior Orderhall goes like this:
    1) You fight the Legion
    2) You face certain death
    3) You STILL fight on
    4) Odyn sees this and sends a Valkyr to take you right BEFORE you die

When i did this quest and Odyn then told me he never saw such resolve and bravery in a mortal before.....i just....well....i had watched the Varian death cinematic like 10 minutes before....it was dishearteningly bad writing. The entire Warrior orderhall is a clusterfuck of bad writing.
    Your error here is that there is no moment when Varian “lay dying” or was “almost dead”. He went from alive and (relatively) well, and the next instant, he was utterly erased from existence. Gul’dan utterly destroyed him. There is no soul to go to the afterlife.

And even if Odyn had sent a Val’kyr to try to save Varian “just before” his death, it wouldnt have worked. Gul’dan and the greater demons there would have annihilated a Val’kyr the moment she revealed herself.

Writing is fine (not great, but “fine”).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iettlopp View Post
    I'm almost certain they did leave him out intentionally because they didn't want heroes of the horde and Ally be in the same place.
    Which is just bad writing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

He got fel exploded, not taken to the halls by the valkyr?

Deleted
    Which is just bad writing.
    Ugh people like you are almost never satisfied, if they added Varian they would have to add someone from horde and then people would bitch about a character missing or some fucking bullshit. Go write your own story let's see how good it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Your error here is that there is no moment when Varian “lay dying” or was “almost dead”. He went from alive and (relatively) well, and the next instant, he was utterly erased from existence. Gul’dan utterly destroyed him. There is no soul to go to the afterlife.

And even if Odyn had sent a Val’kyr to try to save Varian “just before” his death, it wouldnt have worked. Gul’dan and the greater demons there would have annihilated a Val’kyr the moment she revealed herself.

Writing is fine (not great, but “fine”).
    I don't see the error. The palyer character kills a Pit Lord and would have died to the Fel Blast (like Grom in WC3) would it not have been for the Valkyr intervening. To me, this is exactly the same situation as Varian jumping down on that Fel Reaver. The Alliance Air Ship flying away is proof that the air was totally safe at that point.

You are, of course, entiteld to your own opinion, but i stand by mine: It was one of the worst moments of writing in WoW. I felt absolutely DISGUSTED when Odyn greated me in the HoV (he's a rapist asshole, anyway) and explained to me he saved me because i was the "greatest living warrior"...what a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iettlopp View Post
    Ugh people like you are almost never satisfied, if they added Varian they would have to add someone from horde and then people would bitch about a character missing or some fucking bullshit. Go write your own story let's see how good it will be.
    No, they would not have had to add Varian! They could (and should, because it was fucking epic) let Varian die.....but they should have NOT told the exact same story for the player charactr and make up some horrible bullshit with Halls of Valor! THAT is the bad writing. They should have had either Varian dying a heroic death in battle against the Legion OR Halls of Valor/Valkyr/Odyn saving the "greatest living warrior" from exactly the same place bullshit - not both! I would have been reasonably fine with either....but both together just make the entire Warrior Orderhall premise a joke.

Most people don't remember this, but the Halls of Valor, specifically the section for Warriors Order Hall, was filled with heroes of old. Varian and Grom were both champions, but this all got changed early on.