windows10 update and sudden fps drops to 30

i recently updated my windows10 to the latest version and i seem to drop my fps from time to time to 30 and it just stays at 30 for some time, happens when i afk or do stuff. Anyone else?
    it did not happen earlier maybe it has something to do with ElvUI

10+ Year Old Account
    Got the updated Win10 version plus ElvUI etc. and there are no fps drops or fps changes for me.

It's a well known issue with the Fall Creators Update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    This is weird because I got no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    This is weird because I got no problems at all.
    It is an extensively reported issue that thousands experienced with the latest windows 10. This is not to say that some people are lucky and have no issue whatsoever with it.

i immediately removed the fall creators update after a few hours because it was that obvious while playing. I do not know if they are planning on fixing it and how i would find out about it...

yes it must have been the windows update, reverted it now to version 1703
    thanks lads

Might be a long shot but maybe your graphics card isn't working correctly, basically I had this issue where it wouldn't recognize my display device meaning I had to install my graphics driver whenever I rebooted my PC, it seems to be fixed for me now but is there a chance your graphics card isn't installed and it's using the onboard one instead?

That problem often occurs when you switch to another window and than back to the game.

I will try to disable vsync, thanks for the advice.

I have this problem and have yet to find a fix for it

you can locate WoW64.exe and change the properties to "deactivate fullscreen optimization" on the executable.

I got a forced install of 1709 on my bootup yesterday (meltdown and spectre yeah!) and immediately took the advice from the one forum post on the wow us forum.

Additionally you can disable XBOX Game Streaming (it is enabled even if you do not have the XBOX app in the store installed...which you need to get to the settings)

In general, dropdown to specific fps is more like a vsync issue where this is a feature not a bug. The stutter i had and others have is not even visible in fps but definitely recognizable.
    Last edited by Hyrican; 2018-01-08 at 08:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    It is an extensively reported issue that thousands experienced with the latest windows 10. This is not to say that some people are lucky and have no issue whatsoever with it.
    Where is it 'extensively reported'? I haven't heard of any such issue and I work with hundreds of systems a week. Simply blaming "Windows 10 Update" is silly. It's like bringing a car into the shop and the guy saying "Yeah, your car is broken." and simply leaving it at that.

It's most likely a driver issue, if anything. Especially if you're using older Radeon HD 3000/4000 cards (which DO have an issue with an update.. Fix is simply getting newest drivers)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

In the search bar, type settings and go to them.

Click Gaming > Game Mode and turn Game Mode OFF.

The same thing happened a while back to me when I updated Windows 10. Apparently Microsoft thinks this Game Mode thing is helping people "get the best possible gaming experience," but all it actually ends up doing is throttling the fps and lowering performance of many games.

Once I turned it off, everything was fine. It's definitely worth a shot to try.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ekssss View Post
    yes it must have been the windows update, reverted it now to version 1703
    thanks lads
    I would redownload Windows 10 and try what I said, personally. I'm almost certain Game Mode is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where is it 'extensively reported'? I haven't heard of any such issue and I work with hundreds of systems a week. Simply blaming "Windows 10 Update" is silly. It's like bringing a car into the shop and the guy saying "Yeah, your car is broken." and simply leaving it at that.

It's most likely a driver issue, if anything. Especially if you're using older Radeon HD 3000/4000 cards (which DO have an issue with an update.. Fix is simply getting newest drivers)
    171 pages thread:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...eators-update/

then again google for "windows 10 creator update fps drop" will yield many reports.

Like many people that reported this issue, it is happening regardless of how recent your pc is, people with latest generation i7 and 1080s 1080ti are reporting this issue.

You can dismiss my post, which is fine. may be all this people, including me are deluding ourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    171 pages thread:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...eators-update/

then again google for "windows 10 creator update fps drop" will yield many reports.

Like many people that reported this issue, it is happening regardless of how recent your pc is, people with latest generation i7 and 1080s 1080ti are reporting this issue.

You can dismiss my post, which is fine. may be all this people, including me are deluding ourselves.
    I looked through the thread, because I was curious. Almost all of it was either DVR/Gaming features being turned on by default, or a case of drivers. It wasn't "Windows 10" so much as "Settings being changed". I didn't find one instance in about 10 pages, of Windows 10 1709 actually being the problem.

Regardless, both 1) Rolling back to a previous version and 2) Not upgrading at all, are viable solutions to this.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrican View Post
    you can locate WoW64.exe and change the properties to "deactivate fullscreen optimization" on the executable.

I got a forced install of 1709 on my bootup yesterday (meltdown and spectre yeah!) and immediately took the advice from the one forum post on the wow us forum.

Additionally you can disable XBOX Game Streaming (it is enabled even if you do not have the XBOX app in the store installed...which you need to get to the settings)

In general, dropdown to specific fps is more like a vsync issue where this is a feature not a bug. The stutter i had and others have is not even visible in fps but definitely recognizable.
    1709 is not the spectre update....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    1709 is not the spectre update....
    I know, but the forced update to install 1709 was done by microsoft because of meltdown and spectre. I tried installing the meltdown fix for Windows 10 1511 LTSB but my windows version 1511 Pro had no compatible fix available. Instead i got a "windows 10 update assistant" forcing my 1709 install... I even canceled the forced start of the tool in the task manager and hid the updates with the microsoft tool.... only to see the install in progress without cancel option on the next bootup sequence...

I did not mean they fixed it in this patch specifically. .. but it was the reason for the forced update to 1709 on anything other than the Long term support business version.

All of this would be fine if i did not happen to have a really bad experience because of the graphic stutter. That was why i was still on the old version...