Deleted

Barry Bennell: Ex-coach had 'unfettered access' to boys

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42623499

Former football coach Barry Bennell was a "predatory and determined paedophile" who abused one boy on more than 100 occasions, a court has heard.

The ex-Crewe Alexandra coach "had pretty much unfettered access" to boys dreaming of a life in the professional game, prosecutors alleged.

Liverpool Crown Court was told offences took place between 1979 and 1991.

Mr Bennell, 63, who is now known as Richard Jones, denies 48 sex offence charges against him.

Nicholas Johnson QC, prosecuting, told the jury Mr Bennell had worked as a youth football coach in Cheshire, Manchester and Derbyshire.

He said some of the abuse took place at the ground of Crewe Alexandra and during tours by the football club, but many incidents occurred at the defendant's home addresses.

Mr Johnson said one alleged victim, who says he was abused more than 100 times, met Mr Bennell when he was a scout for Manchester City.

The complainant would stay at Mr Bennell's house with other youngsters.

"Not only was there the promise of high quality football, but they were given lots of sports kit and allowed to eat takeaway food," Mr Johnson told the jury.

The court heard how Mr Bennell would "play fight" with the boys and play a game with them called Follow Me, where they would copy his actions while he would increase degrees of intimacy to gauge how compliant the boys would be to abuse.

The complainant said Mr Bennell would turn the lights off and play music to mask the sounds of the abuse, the jury heard.

Mr Bennell denied sexual contact with the alleged victim when questioned by police.

The jury was told how another alleged victim described the former coach's house as being like "an arcade with all the machines".

Mr Johnson said another complainant said he had been "desensitised" by Mr Bennell, who committed "relentless" serious sexual assaults against him.

The last time he was abused, was the complainant's "worst day of his life" after he met Mr Bennell to discuss signing forms for Manchester City.

The court heard how after after falling asleep, he woke to find the coach had removed his shorts and was trying to penetrate him.

The prosecutor said that while Mr Bennell "was a skilled and relatively successful coach, we allege that he had a much darker side".

"He was also, we say, a predatory and determined paedophile. His particular predilection was pre-pubescent boys."

Mr Johnson told the jury they would need to decide whether they were listening to a group of men, who as Mr Bennell argues, had jumped on the bandwagon and made up stories, or to a series of serious sexual offences by a "devious paedophile" against "very vulnerable lads".

Mr Bennell is on trial for 35 counts of indecent assault, 11 serious sexual assaults and two counts of attempted sexual assault, on boys aged between eight and 14.

He appeared via video-link on Tuesday. The jury was told this was due to an illness that required him to be fed through a tube.

The court was told how during questioning, Mr Bennell told police he was suffering with cancer which in turn had caused memory problems.

Mr Bennell had said one complainant had financial motivations for accusing him, the jury heard.

Before the trial, Mr Bennell had admitted seven charges of indecent assault committed between 1981 and 1991, relating to three boys aged between 11 and 14.

The trial continues.
    I remember hearing about this when he was arrested and feeling disturbed. Obviously innocent until proven and all that but I feel the evidence is rather damning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Seems like the British version of Sandusky.
    Was thinking the exact same thing.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Truly evil man. Two professional footballers who trained under him and were described as 'favourites' of his have taken their own lives. Gary Speed in 2011 and Alan Davies in 1992. Both of them played for my club, Gary Speed is an absolute legend here as well. Hope Bennell gets what's coming to him in prison. It'll be his 3rd or 4th trip inside.

We can always hope he gets abused in prison so he gets a little feel on how they felt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Truly evil man. Two professional footballers who trained under him and were described as 'favourites' of his have taken their own lives. Gary Speed in 2011 and Alan Davies in 1992. Both of them played for my club, Gary Speed is an absolute legend here as well. Hope Bennell gets what's coming to him in prison. It'll be his 3rd or 4th trip inside.
    Honestly even if found guilty I can't really see him hitting prison due to his health

Hang him by his dick.

What's the point of this thread? Do I post here to increase my post count or something?

Truly and evil man!! Horrible human bean! Rest of life in prison!! Post count +1!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    What's the point of this thread? Do I post here to increase my post count or something?

Truly and evil man!! Horrible human bean! Rest of life in prison!! Post count +1!
    You're free to do what you want

Yup and in a few hours he will supply us with another copy cut paste. Unless Tennis beats him to the same article.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Yup and in a few hours he will supply us with another copy cut paste. Unless Tennis beats him to the same article.
    Seems like they could just make a bot that does that. Just copy news posts from random news sites and paste them onto the forum. The real question is, are they getting paid by these different websites to spam forums?

Deleted
    Seems like they could just make a bot that does that. Just copy news posts from random news sites and paste them onto the forum. The real question is, are they getting paid by these different websites to spam forums?
    ZZZ

Gen-OT is 80% news stories, 20% inane questions - Suck it up

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    ZZZ

Gen-OT is 80% news stories, 20% inane questions - Suck it up
    You realize the purpose of a forum right? It's for discussion. There's nothing to discuss here, you just posted a random news story.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I can't understand this. If someone like Gary Speed was abused by him, and is now a rich successful guy, why did it take until 2016 for this all to come out. Further still why throw your life away for this, it's in the past you lived through it and it sucked but it's in the past.

Deleted
    You realize the purpose of a forum right? It's for discussion. There's nothing to discuss here, you just posted a random news story.
    Just because you lack the imagination to see the discussion that's your issue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I can't understand this. If someone like Gary Speed was abused by him, and is now a rich successful guy, why did it take until 2016 for this all to come out. Further still why throw your life away for this, it's in the past you lived through it and it sucked but it's in the past.
    I can't answer completely but generally there's a stigma towards men abused by men, add that with a profession famous for homophobia and ignorant fans and the abuser been influential. Regarding suicide well it's really difficult for anybody to say "Get over it" because we truly don't know the extent and psychological damage

10+ Year Old Account
    Crewe Alexandria was held up as a model club for youth player development, lots of people must have known and turned a blind eye.

Deleted
    I think the going rate is two weeks in jail per rape?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42571219

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Crewe Alexandria was held up as a model club for youth player development, lots of people must have known and turned a blind eye.
    I reckon so too