Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    I'm tired, but I am not sure of the specifics, is it 5200 after taxes, or before? Is it 6 hours less on Friday, or 6 hours over the course of 5 days?

6 hours less on friday, I'd like that, but like an hour and change less a day? Fuck it, ill stay.
    Restaurant so weekends aren't really a thing for us. Still a 5 day work week but instead of pulling a double (11am to 11pm) they would go home at 5pm another day. Would more than likely not be on Friday,Saturday or Sunday as those are typically the busiest days and not Tuesday because we do a great special that usually makes it the busiest day of the week. Looking at the standard GM schedule, they would go home at 5PM on Thursday instead of working until close.

5200 was before taxes. For most of the Gm's it would be a 7%-8% increase in gross yearly pay over last year. National Average is typically 3%.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm very sick, and I did this math in my head, but you're asking if I want to make an extra $0.40 per hour.

Yes, I do.

And Yes, I'll also continue to work those six hours.

What's complicated about this?
    Your pay is not reduced if you take the 6 hours. In both case your pay per hour increase. The pay per hour increase more the more your base salary was. For me to not pick the the 6 free hours, the bonus would need to be around 12000 a year. 5200 is less money. If you are paid $16 an hour or less, $5200 is more, if you are paid more, $5200 is less money.

If it were 6 hours, I'd take the money. If it were a 4 day workweek, I'd take the hours.

Considering that the 6 hours here is worth $100 per week which breaks down to what $16.67 per hour or so? I'd take the time considering the wage, but if we are talking a bigger increase I'd take the money. Granted this is for me personally, I don't have a family/kids depending on me and that little bit of money per week wouldn't be worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    I'm tired, but I am not sure of the specifics, is it 5200 after taxes, or before? Is it 6 hours less on Friday, or 6 hours over the course of 5 days?

6 hours less on friday, I'd like that, but like an hour and change less a day? Fuck it, ill stay.
    My interpretation of how it was worded "Increasing the managers salary roughly $100 a week", meant pre-taxed $5200. and "instead of working 51 hours a week down to 45" meant just shorter overall days (instead of 10 hour days, work 9), not 1 really easy day.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Your pay is not reduced if you take the 6 hours. In both case your pay per hour increase. The pay per hour increase more the more your base salary was. For me to not pick the the 6 free hours, the bonus would need to be around 12000 a year. 5200 is less money. If you are paid $16 an hour or less, $5200 is more, if you are paid more, $5200 is less money.
    Meanwhile, I pay myself my own salary, so time is me making sure my business is running.

So, I'll take the $5200, and I'll work the six hours also.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

the time no questions about it

I remember reading a couple studies that said that working more than 40 hours a week usually means you only get 40 hours of work done anyway. Something about productivity taking a noise dive when working long hours.

I wonder if the people who take less hours would get more work done than the longer ones.

- - - Updated - - -

ah, it's a restaurant. Nevermind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd take the money, purely based off the fact that hours will change next year, or something. Schedules are much more malleable than payroll. I would expect (as an employee) for that scheduling to change, or for someone to complain about that more than money.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

As another note. we work 9-80's. 9 hour days, but every other friday off. The working friday is an 8 hour day. We also have the option of Mondays. It actually greatly reduced the amount of sick time employees used unexpectedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Are you trying to gauge peoples salary? I'll take the 6 hours less a week please and thank you. Then again my job some weeks I work less than 20 hours a week and still get the same as when I am busy and working 40 hours a week. I mean today I had my 45 min SCRUM meeting online, then another meeting for about 30 minutes after that discussing new policy changes. I then had a Skype meeting for about 25 min with a BA to go over some stories for the SIT testing that's being wrapped up. I spent about an hour researching Acceptance Criteria for a few more stories and put in some finalized questions and went home for the day @ noon where I proceeded to place Horizon Dawn for the remainder of the day.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2018-01-12 at 04:40 AM.

$5200/year = $100 per week.

$100 vs. 6 hours, every week. Hmmmmmmm. The 6 hours for sure, considering you'd still get your old pay for less hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about it some more...

Just so I'm clear, they're getting the same pay for 6 hours less a week. OR 5200 more.

If you do the money, you're literally paying more money. Straight up.

If you do the time, you're paying the same amount of money for less hours, which might cause them to become more efficient. If they're anything like me, and actually try to get stuff done on time.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I would take the 6 hours off but then again, I already have flexible work hours.

Free time for sure. I make more than the 16$ an hour, and more time off is always a bonus. But I doubt this would ever happen, nurses are overworked and underpaid in Finland anyway, and it's likely to just get worse.

Depends on how those 6 hours a week are laid out.

Give me an extra day off or the ability to work a couple half days a week...Sign me up

an hour or so less work per day...I'll take the money.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. 24 hours less work, or 433 dollars extra a month... I'll take the money.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    Free time for sure. I make more than the 16$ an hour, and more time off is always a bonus. But I doubt this would ever happen, nurses are overworked and underpaid in Finland anyway, and it's likely to just get worse.
    I would take too. Yeah it is funny how people think that healthcare is important and patient care is priority.... Until one has to pay something for it :P.

irrelevant really..

6 less hours per week is useless for me since in The Netherlands an 8,5 hour workday is normal. So the choice is easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    This exactly. If I could make the same as I do now, working less per week, great.
    An hour shorter work days would mean that you get to be more rested and can thus work more efficiently, and maybe even with less breaks. Depending on the type of work you might even get more stuff done.

I mean, I could easily go 6 hours of normal office work with just a lunch break, if it means getting to sleep longer in the morning. But with 8 hours you are constantly just waiting for the next coffee break.