Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would you ever leave your job to go back to school?

Its 3:54am, and I am in that zone of: cant focus enough to study, not tired enough to sleep.

Two years ago, I quit my job to go back to school. I used to work as an engineer but did not have an engineering degree. After multiple promotions I was told this is the max, because you do not have the degree or license. So I quit my job to go to university and study Mechanical Engineering (I had a diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering).

Would you ever quit your job to go to back to school? If yes, what would you go for?

Have you ever wanted to quit your job but never did? Why not?

For those that did, did you ever feel detached from the younger students?
    Last edited by Minikin; 2018-01-13 at 08:59 AM.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

I'm in that situation now actually. I ran out of federal funding for my bachelors degree. So I've left school to get a job. The plan is to put away as much money as I can to go back to school next spring
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I might, say I had a spouse that was supportive.

I liked school but school didn't always like me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I will never be that financially secure.

I did not out and out quit... I scaled my hours back to part time and am going back part time to school.

Shitty a job would take a degree over real world experience.

No I would not quit to go to school. I hated the dick out school past grade 9. Was a waste of my time.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. But after I retire here soon I have more than enough money to maybe study medicine. I would do it because I want to know and actually learn. I’d enjoy that.

I’m also taking flight school in the spring for fun.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I always wanted to be a doctor, I love taking care of people. Now that I have a family to take care of - I cannot justify making everyone else around me suffer and change their life styles so I can get some satisfaction from schooling that I might not even be good at to begin with.

Probably not. At this point, the only degree I'd do that for is a Phd, which is a five to seven year endeavor. There are very few part-time PhD programs and the ones available are from no-name universities. That's a lot of time to take away from a job. Granted I can get grant funding, get paid for teaching/research, loans, etc but still won't be the same. Wife works and I know she'll be supportive but I don't want to go back to a one income household again. Especially since she makes less than I do now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many variables to consider in the question.

Are you earning good money?

Will you stick to what you're studying in college?

Are you likely to get a job with what you're studying?

Will you have to move to get a job with the degree etc?

Personally, I wouldn't go back to school now unless it was something I really enjoyed and had a passion for and also was a near guarantee that I'd get a job at the end of it, which are both very unlikely.

I also earn good money and doubt I'd be able to beat it with a bog standard degree and would have to do something like a Masters to really get anywhere, and that isn't happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I did not out and out quit... I scaled my hours back to part time and am going back part time to school.
    That's good idea, unfortunately for me I wouldn't be able to go part time with my job.

I worked through my engineering degree, usually 30 hours a week on top of the 5 classes a semester. If I went back for a higher degree, I would work through doing it too, probably with a lesser course load and full time, since I have kids now.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Its 3:54am, and I am in that zone of: cant focus enough to study, not tired enough to sleep.

Two years ago, I quit my job to go back to school. I used to work as an engineer but did not have an engineering degree. After multiple promotions I was told this is the max, because you do not have the degree or license. So I quit my job to go to university and study Mechanical Engineering (I had a diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering).

Would you ever quit your job to go to back to school? If yes, what would you go for?

I just left my job as a chef this year to go back to school for Electrical Engineering, so yes I would quit my job to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    I have walked away from work to go to school full time. Twice.

The first time when I was still in my mid-20s and the second time when I was in my early 30s.

No. I have be rather willing to walk away from both work and school at varying times whenever I felt either was not working out for me.

I do not think it is admirable to be miserable at something you spend so much time on in life; work, school.

Not really. College nowadays is full of mid-20s and so on. I did not go back to school to live in a frat house and do keggers. I just went to class and back home to study. It was like having daily appointments/meetings. Just the same as when I was working at Sony.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just finished school and I would rather work full time than to go back.

Only if i had enough money to just go to school and finish.

No, fuck school. My life up until I started to work was basically Study, study, study and then study some more. I'm so done with school now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably, if it were paid for and I didn't have to worry about living expenses. Living on campus SUCKS.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Too risky.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

If I'm truly motivated to do it, yes.

I'm never going back and I never finished it in the first place. I rather just keep working at my current job.